Disadvantage to late submission of MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fakesmile

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to take the MCAT in November of 2011. I'll be applying in the 2011 cycle. But then schools will receive my MCAT score in December of 2011. This means that even if I apply early, like in July or August, my application status won't be "complete" until schools receive the MCAT score in December. Will there be any disadvantage to this?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to take the MCAT in November of 2011. I'll be applying in the 2011 cycle. But then schools will receive my MCAT score in December of 2011. This means that even if I apply early, like in July or August, my application status won't be "complete" until schools receive the MCAT score in December. Will there be any disadvantage to this?
You do know that the MCAT is not offered from November through December, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
September is generally the latest MCAT test session any med school will accept for that current cycle. And taking it then puts you at an extremely significant disadvantage for applications for that year, as your application will not be considered complete and reviewed by admissions committees until October at the earliest. By October the interview season has already begun and all of the students who submitted back in June and July (and August. And September.) have had their apps reviewed, so you will be dealing with extremely limited remaining interview spots.

If you are planning a year ahead, then just plan to take it in late May/early June. I am assuming those months would be best anyway if you are still in school since the summer would have just begun.

September is generally the latest MCAT test session any med school will accept for that current cycle. And taking it then puts you at an extremely significant disadvantage for applications for that year, as your application will not be considered complete and reviewed by admissions committees until October at the earliest. By October the interview season has already begun and all of the students who submitted back in June and July (and August. And September.) have had their apps reviewed, so you will be dealing with extremely limited remaining interview spots.

If you are planning a year ahead, then just plan to take it in late May/early June. I am assuming those months would be best anyway if you are still in school since the summer would have just begun.
But I won't have time to study for the MCAT in fall and spring because of heavy courseload and ECs. So I was thinking of solely studying for the MCAT in summer of 2011 before taking the exam in August or September! :scared: (I feel that a month of studying won't be enough for me because I forgot most of the intro stuffs and I have a lot of things to review. Btw, I'll be a senior this fall.)