Disadvantaged Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_Bone_Docta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I said I was disadvantaged, and wrote quickly how about I am from an underserved area, however I did not really go IN DEPTH. I more or less just wanted to truthfully tell my perspective on my area, and I do think I was from an underserved area. however, truthfully I think the excerpt I wrote was weak, and I probably did not put as much time into it as I should have. I sort of did it because I really do not think I was DISADVANTAGED, maybe my high school education was a bit (I did not address this unfortunately and wish I would have in hindsight), however, my area is underserved and imo so I think I would fit the category.

Could the fact that my essay was weak hurt my application? Or would admissions committee members more or less disregard it? I wish I would have put more time into it after the fact, very large lapse of judgment I suppose. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you truthfully told your story that should be sufficient. I think what they want to know are the general facts about your circumstances and more importantly how you dealt with the challenges.

Reactions: 1 users
I think if you truthfully told your story that should be sufficient. I think what they want to know are the general facts about your circumstances and more importantly how you dealt with the challenges.
Thanks for the response. I think I dropped the ball on that one tbh. I talked about how my area lacks primary care physicians, specialty med, and trauma centers. But did not really talk about how it affected me personally and made me disadvantaged. It is what it is I guess though. Just gotta hope they take it at surface level and don't look down upon me because of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are likely to ask you about it on your interview. They definitely brought it up with me since I wrote one. I would take that opportunity to discuss how it affected you and what you learned from it.

Reactions: 1 user
The idea behind asking if you are from an underserved area is that people from such areas are more likely than those from other areas to serve as physicians in underserved areas. So, to increase the number of physicians in underserved areas, the reasoning goes, med schools should look favorably on applicants from underserved areas all else being equal.
It might not give you a boost but you won’t be penalized for your brief answer.

Reactions: 2 users
The idea behind asking if you are from an underserved area is that people from such areas are more likely than those from other areas to serve as physicians in underserved areas. So, to increase the number of physicians in underserved areas, the reasoning goes, med schools should look favorably on applicants from underserved areas all else being equal.
It might not give you a boost but you won’t be penalized for your brief answer.
awesome! thank you so much for the piece of mind!