Disadvantaged SES status have any bearing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlyaR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how this is looked at by adcoms, if it is at all

Just for clarification, I did not check the disadvantaged box, but it was on my app anyway, assuming from parent's incomes and FAP

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just for clarification, I did not check the disadvantaged box, but it was on my app anyway, assuming from parent's incomes and FAP

Thanks!
If you do well in school and on the MCAT, you have overcome some pretty serious obstacles if you are Low SES. This could only be looked upon favorably by Adcoms, as most med students come from upper income families. THis adds diversity of life experience to the class.

Reactions: 2 users

Thanks!

Same here, I believe it's determined only from your parent's level of education. I don't see how it would be unfavorable for a competitive applicant to be low SES.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here, I believe it's determined only from your parent's level of education.
Don't think so. My father has an MD/PhD and I still got SES. I think FAP might have something to do with it, or income bracket of the parent you lived with (Father hasn't been in my life). Was just curious as I've never really seen it discussed on here

Disadvantaged status comes from a variety of factors any one of which could trigger it.

Low family income can trigger it, certain education levels can trigger it, and certain types of work classes can trigger it.

My mother was a high school grad who is currently doing unskilled labour. Dad is a high school grad (who makes serious money) and is skilled labour. If my parents were married (they divorced when I was pretty little), even with Dad's income being good AMCAS might still trigger a flag as being a possible SES. At least that is what I assume given I had two or three things that separately indicated me as being SES and one involved my parents.