Disadvantaged Status Application Thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nanon

An urban myth.
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, with the understanding that many people here who did apply disadvantaged might not want to post as a disadvantaged applicant... I do. Mostly, I want to compare my progress through the application cycle with people who are sitting in the same pile I am. I can't prove this, I have no basis to believe this, but I think that my application is moving a little slower through the system than other people's on here, and it's making me nervous and cranky.

My application was complete on 8/12, and my mcat score came in on 8/19.

Except for U Wisconsin, I haven't received any screened secondaries yet.

I haven't gotten a secondary from the following schools that don't screen: Albany, Drexel and Penn. (Should I call them?)

I haven't gotten any knee-jerk, pre-secondary rejections either, as far as I know.

Anyone else want to share?

S.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha, you're disadvantaged.

Haha, you're disadvantaged.

In my head, you sound like that kid on the Simpsons, what's his name? The bully?

Anyhoo... now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Members don't see this ad :)
simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

I didn't apply disadvantaged, but there's no way that after one day, you can assume you're apps are moving slowly. That's actually really good that you got a screened secondary already! Don't worry about it...just be patient. really, really patient :p

I didn't apply disadvantaged, but there's no way that after one day, you can assume you're apps are moving slowly. That's actually really good that you got a screened secondary already! Don't worry about it...just be patient. really, really patient :p

I just got wigged out today, because yesterday I got 10 secondaries, and today... nothing. Crickets are chirping in my in box. And then I read on the secondary boards, "Hey, I got a secondary / rejection 2 seconds after my application was complete!"

But you're right. I am jumping the gun. Thanks for the reality check! :D Still, I am interested in whether there's a difference in progress if you apply disadvantaged (and from now on, that word will always have Nelson attached to it).

S.

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I just wanted to wish you good luck. :luck:

I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but I just wanted to wish you good luck. :luck:

"Oh guys, don't worry, I know you aren't disadvantaged, but I am. But don't feel bad. While I'm here making a thread promoting that I'm disadvantaged, you don't have to feel bad though - even though I'm making a thread clearly pointing out that I'm disadvantaged. Did I tell you I'm disadvantaged yet?"
-Nanon

Troll much Steinman? :rolleyes:

Nanon - yeah, it does seem that the "quirky" peeps may get responses, both positive and negative, more slowly than your more stereotypical applicants. It's good and bad I guess - it means they're willing to take a look, but aren't ready to commit right away. :p Anyway, you really have only been in the game for a very short while - disadvantaged or not, it's not time to start interpreting anything yet.

:love::love:

*I don't think quirky is limited to people who flag themselves as disadvantaged; it could also come across in your PS or activities.

"Oh guys, don't worry, I know you aren't disadvantaged, but I am. But don't feel bad. While I'm here making a thread promoting that I'm disadvantaged, you don't have to feel bad though - even though I'm making a thread clearly pointing out that I'm disadvantaged. Did I tell you I'm disadvantaged yet?"
-Nanon

Wow... didn't really think I was coming off that way. Sorry to offend. And just to be clear, no one here needs to feel bad for me, or wish me luck, or anything else. I'm just anxious, like everyone else. But if this is what the response is going to be, I'll ask the mod to delete the post.

I'm not right? How is pointing out the obvious trolling?
You obviously have not had a disadvantaged background. The thing is, people with disadvantaged backgrounds understand how bad things can get, so by being comfortable right now, it's hard to say that you were once disadvantaged. Many people don't like to say it because they work their way out of being disadvantaged and no longer feel the need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow... didn't really think I was coming off that way. Sorry to offend. And just to be clear, no one here needs to feel bad for me, or wish me luck, or anything else. I'm just anxious, like everyone else. But if this is what the response is going to be, I'll ask the mod to delete the post.
No no, this guy is just a d-bag.

The intelligence level of this thread just dropped about 100 points...

i second this. nanon, your post is fine, and i completely understand your concerns! :thumbup:

Thanks! And DoctorSteinman, if you could just, I don't know, take a breather... sit down, have a drink, watch some TV... and stop with the agro posting, I think we'd all appreciate it.

S.

The intelligence level of this thread just dropped about 100 points...

But your avatar brought it back up a good 50. :D Very nice!

Steinman is what the ignore button was designed for. As such, let's move along - I think Nanon's question is interesting (but will become more relevant probably as the season moves along).

Steinman is what the ignore button was designed for. As such, let's move along - I think Nanon's question is interesting (but will become more relevant probably as the season moves along).

I concur - I have avatar envy now.

I also think this might have some relevance not just for me and people applying this year, but for those coming behind us. In my (very cursory) search, I couldn't find anything like this in one place, but rather a lot of anecdotes scattered through random posts. If there is another thread like this, let me know!

S.

Troll much Steinman? :rolleyes:

Nanon - yeah, it does seem that the "quirky" peeps may get responses, both positive and negative, more slowly than your more stereotypical applicants. It's good and bad I guess - it means they're willing to take a look, but aren't ready to commit right away. :p Anyway, you really have only been in the game for a very short while - disadvantaged or not, it's not time to start interpreting anything yet.

:love::love:

*I don't think quirky is limited to people who flag themselves as disadvantaged; it could also come across in your PS or activities.

Are you calling me quirky?

Great idea!

remember: :troll:

I don't even really know what I meant by that.

Well, this thread totally drifted off course, and this post doesn't help.

So, with the understanding that many people here who did apply disadvantaged might not want to post as a disadvantaged applicant... I do. Mostly, I want to compare my progress through the application cycle with people who are sitting in the same pile I am. I can't prove this, I have no basis to believe this, but I think that my application is moving a little slower through the system than other people's on here, and it's making me nervous and cranky.

My application was complete on 8/12, and my mcat score came in on 8/19.

Except for U Wisconsin, I haven't received any screened secondaries yet.

I haven't gotten a secondary from the following schools that don't screen: Albany, Drexel and Penn. (Should I call them?)

I haven't gotten any knee-jerk, pre-secondary rejections either, as far as I know.

Anyone else want to share?

S.

In all seriousness though, putting my stupid sense of humor aside, I wouldn't worry about it yet. If you just had your MCAT score reported yesterday, I think you can afford to wait until at least next Monday before you start to wonder what is taking schools so long. It'll work itself out, you have just started the process though, and I'm sure a few days just seems like an eternity.

Good luck :]

What kind of benefits come with being "disadvantaged"
and having "disadvantage status." I'm a foster child and I
was just wondering If it applies to me.

I've been trying to find some info, but google Isn't being
nice to me right now :mad:

What kind of benefits come with being "disadvantaged"
and having "disadvantage status." I'm a foster child and I
was just wondering If it applies to me.

I've been trying to find some info, but google Isn't being
nice to me right now :mad:

I'm not sure whether applying disadvantaged has that many benefits, beyond putting your achievements into perspective for the admissions committees. I think some schools put more time into reading this kind of application, but I don't think it will help much if you, like me, end up with a not so great gpa and/or mcat. So kick ass in college, mkay? ;) As an ex-foster kid myself, what I would advise you to do is look into scholarships for foster kids. There are a lot more now than there were back in my day...

S.

I've got a make or break semester coming
up, so we'll see how it goes. School starts
next Monday for me; I'm gonna Murder O-Chem.

Anyway thanks for the advice,
If I had a med school I'd accept you :)

I feel that if adcom do not view your situation as truly disadvantaged, your claim will work to disadvantage. I am glad that I did not make that claim despite every reason to. I believe my application is firm enough in itself.

I feel that if adcom do not view your situation as truly disadvantaged, your claim will work to disadvantage. I am glad that I did not make that claim despite every reason to. I believe my application is firm enough in itself.

What was your situation?

if they don't view it as a disadvantage, i wouldn't want to go to that school.

Thanks! I have a bunch of other Organic Chem cartoons, but they're in a facebook group. Could I link to the group and everyone be able to see them? Or does everyone need to be a member of the group?

Thanks! I have a bunch of other Organic Chem cartoons, but they're in a facebook group. Could I link to the group and everyone be able to see them? Or does everyone need to be a member of the group?

If it's a global group, all people on facebook can see it, I believe.

I think people would be able to see them (at least people who have facebook accounts, which I'm going to guess is most people). Link link!

I'm applying as 'disadvantaged' and I'm also a re-app. Last year there were a lot of things that I could have done better though, so this year I'm working on that.

Here are my stats:
3.62 GPA
29T MCAT
13 Schools applied to
3 Schools rejected pre-screen (Mayo, WVU, Wake--all reaches)
3 Secondaries received post-screen (OHSU, UWash, one other i can't think of at the moment)
Complete at all schools around 8/1 (except UWash which is waiting on my residency verification which should be done early next week)

If there's anything else you'd like to know just ask, I'm pretty much an open book.

Breeak--you have got to get rid of the 'Waiting for (1)' thing; I'm a Gmailer too and everytime I see that, my heart skips a beat...its like I'm conditioned to react even when its out of context! :laugh:

Breeak--you have got to get rid of the 'Waiting for (1)' thing; I'm a Gmailer too and everytime I see that, my heart skips a beat...its like I'm conditioned to react even when its out of context! :laugh:

That is hilarious! :laugh::laugh: And a little sad...what is this process doing to us?!

That is hilarious! :laugh::laugh: And a little sad...what is this process doing to us?!

The whole thing is a little sad. I always love the reactions of people when you tell them that you're getting your app ready in May for possible entry OVER A YEAR FROM NOW! They think we're all crazy, and they're probably right!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks, tianac2! I think I'm going to formalize this a litte...

cGPA: 3.05
sGPA: 2.7
MCAT: 30N
AMCAS Complete: 8/12
Applications Complete:

Pre-secondary/screened Rejections:
Post-secondary Rejections:

Interviews:

Acceptances!:

I guess we can just come back to our stats posts as things progress, unless someone has a better idea. Shmarty would be useful right now... ;)

The whole thing is a little sad. I always love the reactions of people when you tell them that you're getting your app ready in May for possible entry OVER A YEAR FROM NOW! They think we're all crazy, and they're probably right!

I KNOW!!! I love this - actual conversation: "So, you guys are going to have to sell your house when you go to medical school, right? Shouldn't you guys be getting a real estate agent? Didn't you apply last month? What, you haven't heard anything? So... when will you hear? NEXT YEAR??? ... huh."

It's the process that's crazy, not us. I mean, we HAVE to apply this early. I didn't expect the waiting to be so hard though. Undergrad I was just like, eh, whatever. Maybe that's why I'm a nontrad. :p:eek:

I KNOW!!! I love this - actual conversation: "So, you guys are going to have to sell your house when you go to medical school, right? Shouldn't you guys be getting a real estate agent? Didn't you apply last month? What, you haven't heard anything? So... when will you hear? NEXT YEAR??? ... huh."

I know! I told someone that I was working on my app in May and they were like "Wow, aren't you a little late, isn't January when you're supposed to have apps in?" So I explained the process..."Holy crap, that sucks! Why does it take so long?!"

Good question my friend, very good question.

People can check out my mdapps to see stats and interviews etc, I keep it very current.

We're all going to be fine assuming we've made reasonable school choices. I really do think so. :luck::luck:

I know! I told someone that I was working on my app in May and they were like "Wow, aren't you a little late, isn't January when you're supposed to have apps in?" So I explained the process..."Holy crap, that sucks! Why does it take so long?!"

Good question my friend, very good question.

Just a couple of hours ago LET and I were trying to figure out why it takes so long. It really makes one wonder what holds up the process aside from sheer volume of apps.

It's the process that's crazy, not us. I mean, we HAVE to apply this early. I didn't expect the waiting to be so hard though. Undergrad I was just like, eh, whatever. Maybe that's why I'm a nontrad. :p:eek:

Being nontrad is what makes me so crazy! I've got the typical neurotic premed thing...with kids! I did undergrad and graduated with honors with my BS and two minors in only 4 years, did SMDEP for a summer, did independent research (that I ended up winning awards for), volunteered at a pediatric ER, was an officer in two on campus clubs, shadowed a surgeon, am participating in a mentorship program with a family doc, and have been a Race for the Cure Team Captain for two years now....and all with a husband, and two kids that were 1-5 and 0-3 (yes, my son was born WHILE I was in college...) Then I graduated and opened (and now own and operate) a pretty successful custom cake business...Oh, and I only just turned 25.

Yep, I'm pretty much nuts...