Disadvantaged status question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crimson

What up Smokey!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do dental school applications allow for a formal way of noting one's disadvantaged status (socio-economic), somewhat similar to the medical school application? Also has anyone indicated this and recieved negative responses from dental schools? pls share your experiences... many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello dear Freind:
Do dental school applications allow for a formal way of noting one's disadvantaged status (socio-economic), somewhat similar to the medical school application?
It depends what school you are applying to, there are schools that make their dicision base on your GPA and your DAT scores and then they look at your personal statement. for these kinda schools regardless of knowing your situation and based on the numbers you are either in or out, however, there are schools in the united states that look at your application overall. As far as "Formal Way of othing one's Disadvanted"
there is no such a thing, but in your Personal essay you have a great opportunity to tell them your disadvantage. But, you should know which school care and which one don't. if I were you I would buy the book "American and Canadian Dental schools", and also "Opportunity for minorities." e-mail me and I will give you some schools name that I know they care about disadvantage students. Please feel free to contact me.
I hope this help.

To my knowledge no medical or dental school (or any professional school) has a "formal" way of noting a disadvantaged situation. I must respectfully disagree that some schools merely look at your numbers and other schools look at your entire application. All schools look at the entire application. Of course, every school focuses first on GPAs and DAT scores. I see no exception. If you apply with high stats, they may not care about the rest of the application as much. If your stats are very low for that school, no amount of extras will help. However, the average applicant for any given school will have similar GPA and DAT scores. That's when these extras become increasingly important. Naturally, there are schools that are not as competitive and do not require as high a GPA/DAT compared to other schools. However, the same applies to these schools. Out of there applicant pool, they accept those with the highest numbers without much thought. They reject those with the lowest numbers regardless. They're left with the rest (the majority of apps) that have similar numbers and that's when extras become increasingly important. But I highly doubt that any one school cares more about disadvantaged students than another school. All schools are interested in the best students they can get. However, when schools compare applicants, I think that what you say in your personal statement and interview can be influencial.

If I were you, I'd include my feelings about being disadvantaged in the personal statement. Just be sure to describe it as something that has challenged you and you've overcome. Be careful about using it as an excuse. For example: Don't suggest that because I'm disadvantaged I didn't do as well in college as I hope. Describe it as having difficulties or barriers that you overcome and were able to keep the hope of becoming a dentist alive.. etc etc. If you didn't do as well in college as you hoped, but you describe the obstacles well, the admissions committee will put two and two together and realize it's understandable you didn't make an A+ in all you classes. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. FYI the following question is from the Medical School Application...

My mistake, Crimson. Certainly if there is such a question on your dental school app (I don't remember any on mine) answer it honestly. Again I stress, present your situation the best way you can. Schools love to see how you've overcome hurdles. Don't openly present it as an excuse, only a difficulty that you've dealt with the best way you could. The admissions committee will read between the lines and I think most schools will be sympathetic as best they can.