Disadvantaged Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crzygurl78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to know if I fit the disadvantaged status category. I am not a minority (Asian). I grew up in a lower middle class suburb and went to a public high school. My dad has suffered from sensorineural hearing disorder ever since birth. He never received an education so it has been difficult. My mom has been the main provider in the house and my dad's income is very little. I had to start working at sixteen in order to help with ends meet. I still work now, but I use the earnings to pay for my college expenses. It is difficult to participate in school activities and it also explains why I received some low grades. We are not dirt poor, but we do struggle to meet ends meet. My parents income is less than 50,000 a year. I did not know if I should claim a disadvantaged status on my application. I also forgot to mention that I am the first generation to go to college. My dad did not receive any education and my mom did not finish high school. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I wanted to know if I fit the disadvantaged status category. I am not a minority (Asian). I grew up in a lower middle class suburb and went to a public high school. My dad has suffered from sensorineural hearing disorder ever since birth. He never received an education so it has been difficult. My mom has been the main provider in the house and my dad's income is very little. I had to start working at sixteen in order to help with ends meet. I still work now, but I use the earnings to pay for my college expenses. It is difficult to participate in school activities and it also explains why I received some low grades. We are not dirt poor, but we do struggle to meet ends meet. My parents income is less than 50,000 a year. I did not know if I should claim a disadvantaged status on my application. I also forgot to mention that I am the first generation to go to college. My dad did not receive any education and my mom did not finish high school. What do you guys think?

It's up to you. To see if think you'r below poverty line, there's a Federal Index you could google and check out. Did you receive government subsidized support, food stamps, and free/reduced lunch? These are reliable indicators that you're economically disadvantaged.

I am applying as disadvantage i got FAP and have been on fin aid and free lunch my whole life. If you have any questions PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied as disadvantaged and received FAP (a huge savings!). I have a simliar story --- sick parents, first to go to college, mom recieves SSI, and my parents grossed less than 30,000 for most of my life.

Personally, I think it was an advantage to apply as disadvantaged because it got a lot of my background info. right out in the open (you have to write a separate short essay about it on the AMCAS app.) and I had more room in my personal statement to explain other important topics. It was never brought up directly in my interview, though at UWSOM I had a separate interview with the Office of Multicultural Affairs where I was asked more specific questions about my family and growing up disadvantaged.

Best of luck to you.

Just to be clear:

one can qualify for FAP without applying as "disadvantaged" (particularly if hardship is of recent origin)

One can apply as "disadvantaged" without applying for FAP (non-trads making a very good living now can still describe childhood poverty in the disadvantage section.

I'm not applying to med school until next year but I looked at the application and started to fill it out. I'm not sure if I should put down disadvantaged or not.

Both my parents have college degrees but for the first 10 years of my life my family lived in poverty. Our family of four basically lived out of trailers/ one bedroom apartments and was constantly moving and doing odd jobs. I don't share with many people the circumstances that landed my family in that position. Will I be forced to discuss how this happened to my family? Will they expect me to explain?

I'm also hesitant to put that down because my later childhood was mostly lower middle class but I still had to pay for my own college education working 25- 30 hours a week. Where I come from this isn't unheard of and I'm hoping this will explain my GPA. It's not horrible (3.6) but it could have been much higher and I would rather them know this before they reject me without even giving me a secondary.

I'm hoping someone who has gone though this can help me. Do you think they will ask why/how my family ended up in poverty? If for some reason I decide to tell them (very unlikely right now), will it be just the person interviewing me or will all my professors know if I am admitted? It's something private that I don't even share with some of my closest friends and I don't want my profs to know.

If I just skip the part about my early childhood, does my later life experience merit putting down disadvantaged background?

Thanks and any feedback is appreciated.

You should apply for disadvantaged status if the town where you spent most of your life has been designated as a "medically underserved area" or "Health Professional Shortage area." There is a federal website where you can find out. If your town is listed, you should apply.

There are other reasons you should apply too. Apply if:
- You have had to overcome some obstacle that has made it difficult for you to obtain an education. (english isn't your first language, you had to work through school, you are a first generation college student & family income is low, etc)

I applied because my high school was extremely poor, my family was medically uninsured for years, our family income was less than 40,000 a year, and I had to work since I was 16. I worked through college because it was the only way I could afford BU.