Disadvantaged?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NCDocWannabe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a ways away but I've been pondering whether or not my I have grounds to apply as disadvantaged. I reckon that on the account of the series of unfortunate events that occurred in my first semester that most would argue I was at a disadvantage. (See "Pre Med Issues Thread") Also, what exactly defines one as disadvantaged, and if you fit the bill, how would one go about explaining the circumstances without beating it over an adcom's head? (i.e. should I explain the situation in both the disadvantaged essay as well as the PS)

Any advice would help, Thanks a ton guys and gals!

Members don't see this ad.

I belive disadvantage refers to financially or educationally disadvantaged.

If your situation doesn't put you under their definition of disadvantaged there is a section on the AMCAS application for explaining extenuating circumstances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your situation does not equal disadvantaged. Period. AMCAS has a specific set of guidelines that specify if you should apply as disadvantaged or not, and you definitely don't fit it. Disadvantaged status means that you went through some hardships before the age of 18, like you were on government assistance or grew up in a medically under served area.

I know this is a ways away but I've been pondering whether or not my I have grounds to apply as disadvantaged. I reckon that on the account of the series of unfortunate events that occurred in my first semester that most would argue I was at a disadvantage. (See "Pre Med Issues Thread") Also, what exactly defines one as disadvantaged, and if you fit the bill, how would one go about explaining the circumstances without beating it over an adcom's head? (i.e. should I explain the situation in both the disadvantaged essay as well as the PS)

Any advice would help, Thanks a ton guys and gals!

Represent!

So the gist of things is that I should just explain it in my PS and do a whole lot of praying that someone understands. I think being penalized by adcoms in this process for uncontrollable junk that happened is about as ****ed up as a football bat, but thank you responders for clearing this up for me!

For the record xrevision, my family has and still is on quite a bit of government assistance. My other siblings are on the free and reduced lunch program and my mom feeds a family of 6 on less than 15K per year with the help of food stamps. I've worked since 15 to help as much as I can. Also, Medicaid helped pay for a ****load of the expenses that I racked up while on the path to becoming cancer free. In spite of this I don't feel like it put me at a disadvantage, it only made me more driven. So now I know that the specific situation I asked about does not qualify; however, I will definitely not be applying as disadvantaged.

For the record xrevision, my family has and still is on quite a bit of government assistance. My other siblings are on the free and reduced lunch program and my mom feeds a family of 6 on less than 15K per year with the help of food stamps. I've worked since 15 to help as much as I can. Also, Medicaid helped pay for a ****load of the expenses that I racked up while on the path to becoming cancer free. In spite of this I don't feel like it put me at a disadvantage, it only made me more driven. So now I know that the specific situation I asked about does not qualify; however, I will definitely not be applying as disadvantaged.

That's pretty hard core of you not to apply disadvantaged, but you should probably mention some of those things in your ps.

Let me get this straight. You had cancer, survived, and have 5 other people in your family living off of less than 15K a year.

And you are not applying as disadvantaged?? That is definitely disadvantaged, and I'd apply. A disad does not mean it did not motivate you in any way. Many of the most successful people today started off humbly and were motivated by their childhood economic distress to succeed.

If I were you I'd share my story in the PS and IN ADDITION to that I'd also apply as disadvantaged.

I mean, I know kids who have parents on the city council, make maybe 200K a year and up to 500K combined parents income, and they still do funny math to play the system and get labeled as "low income" for crazy amounts of financial aid. It is SICK.

I encourage you to apply as disadvantaged so you can get fin aid and help you deserve!:thumbup:

Well you see, you didn't include those details before. You just said something that made me think that you wanted to explain something that happened in undergrad. If your life story is true I totally encourage you to apply disadvantaged.

lol
talk about incredibly misleading first post?

had you typed this in the first post, we'd say that you would qualify for disadvantaged economically.

odd you type this now considering it has little to do with what happened to you in college.

I knew that I would qualify economically despite the fact I didn't feel disadvantaged. I was just wondering essentially if what happened in college i.e. my original post fell under the disadvantaged umbrella. Also, I wasn't diagnosed until almost the end of the year and went through treatment this summer and fall. This time period falls during the college years, thereby imdemnifying all claims of being disadvantaged as a result of the situation. I am sorry for the ambiguity and the somewhat hostile response xrevision, I was just throwing it out there to get a little insight. Anyhow thank you guys

I knew that I would qualify economically despite the fact I didn't feel disadvantaged. I was just wondering essentially if what happened in college i.e. my original post fell under the disadvantaged umbrella. Also, I wasn't diagnosed until almost the end of the year and went through treatment this summer and fall. This time period falls during the college years, thereby imdemnifying all claims of being disadvantaged as a result of the situation. I am sorry for the ambiguity and the somewhat hostile response xrevision, I was just throwing it out there to get a little insight. Anyhow thank you guys
I'm no AMCAS expert, but if I were filling it out and had your circumstances I would check disadvantaged and describe your upbringing & financial hardships & how that has influenced you. I would include any health obstacles you have faced in college in your PS and/or the section for any extenuating circumstances. best of luck :luck: