Disadvantageous to apply after junior year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone observed any particular disadvantage by applying after Junior year and thus not taking a year off? I have heard rumors that schools prefer you take a year off.

Members don't see this ad.

Thats funny, I have always heard the opposite! The "tradional applicant" does not take a year off, meaning the majority of students apply after their junior year. I don't think schools have a preference either way.

Just make sure that if you take a year off, you do something that you can talk about in your interview. For example, you don't necessarily have to get a Master's degree or feed orphans in Somalia. If you want to backpack across Europe, great! I think I would shy away from things like: working at Wal-Mart, writing your manifesto, watching TV everyday for a year, etc. Just make it something interesting and you should be fine.

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

-Scott, MS2

Spoke to adcom members at Hopkins, in which I wanted to graduate early and they talked about the whole taking ayear off.

They don't look down on it. Their response is that some people will spend 5 years undergrad, go straight to med school and then through residency, then a fellowship and by the time they notice it, they're "old" and haven't gotten to do things they want to do--start a family, travel around the world, volunteer, etc.

They also thought it was smart of me wanting to graduate in 2 1/2 years when I could do so and still be cometative because I will finish my residency a little earlier, and decide I want kids and still be in my prime for that, or have time to take off without feeling like I stopped something (ecoming a doctor).

-Liz

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, from what I gathered from my interviews, the majority of people I met had taken at least a year off. It just seems like it's more difficult to compete with the extracurriculars you can do after graduating. I applied during my senior year, and got the feeling that it would have been advantageous to take a year off, do some more research or work or whatever. My thinking is that I know what I want to do with my life and don't want to waste any time, but then a lot of people have worked with doctors for a year, gotten published during a year of post-bac research, etc. I'm beginning to feel that the "traditional" applicant no longer applies during their last year of undergrade, but instead takes a year or two off before applying.

I doubt that, with the same application, a med school would look more favorably upon an applicant who took a year off, but a lot can be accomplished in that extra year that really helps.

its up to you! live your life how you want to. if you want to take time off, take it. if you dont, then dont.

you shouldnt do anything just to get in. sorry if that sounds cliche or whatever or a jerky answer. but its the truth. think bout it...

I am definitely going to take a year off. Do all the fun things I couldn't do while i was an undergrad (travel, maybe work a little, party a lot....) that way when I start med school I will feel better and it won't seem like I am wasting my youth away.

Probably will feel better and do better in school also.