Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Disadvantages of Couples Match

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by cgd, Oct 22, 2001.

1. cgd

cgd New Member

Hey all,

Does anyone know the disadvantages of couples match for residency programs?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mcwmark

mcwmark Senior Member

Well, it's complicated, but basically one part of the couple may have to "settle" for a lower ranked program just so that the couple is in the same geographical location. However, the reverse (if one is exceptionally qualified, can bring the other one "up") can happen..or so I've heard.

You'd probably be better off asking the Dean or someone who's seen matches over the years to get the real story...

4. droliver

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I don't not think the "weaker" of the two applicants can be pulled "up" for a program by the way it is set up. The only way it can work is the other way around as the couples match is only a slight variation of the regular algorithm.

5. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

actually what i've heard is that a weaker applicant is more likely to be pulled up than a stronger applicant being pulled down. i guess if a hospital wants an especially qualified candidate badly enough, they'll do what they can to accommodate him/her.