Disappearance of single degree residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmp20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of OMF residency programs have swithced from single degree to dual degree programs(DDS+MD). Is this a growing trend? Does anyone think that they will all switch to dual degree in the near future? I dont want to do a dual degree program (more time/tuition). Also, does anyone know what the ratio of single degree to dual degree programs is today? Or are there a lot more of one than the other? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe single degree programs will fade into the past any time soon. There are many many more single than dual degree surgeons out there and single degree surgeons are graduating at a higher rate.

I don't believe single degree programs will fade into the past any time soon. There are many many more single than dual degree surgeons out there and single degree surgeons are graduating at a higher rate.

The actual numbers of 4yr OMFS programs and residents is greater than 6yr programs and residents. I deleted the latest email with the stats from ROAAOMS, but I am sure someone can get a hold of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Shabu2, may i ask why you took the 6 year route?