Disciplinary Action - do I have to report it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skirtingtheedge

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I need help!! I attended Amherst college the year after high school, but I hated it there, and I hated my roommate 'cause s/he made me miserable. To make a long story short, I ended up bugging out and getting a "disciplinary suspension" on my transcript because I stole some of her things and gave them away. (I grew up really poor and I have a clepto thing about me, or at least I did). Anyway, they didn't actually suspend me until I told them I wanted to leave the school, but they said if I did, they were going to put the suspension on my transcript. Anyway, I left and the next year, I went to another top liberal arts school, where I've done pretty well (not stellar, but good enough that my guidance counselor thinks I'll get in). So, I need advice. I want to know how much of a background check they actually do on people. I want to hide the fact that I went to Amherst from AMCAS because I never did transfer credits (I withdrew from all my classes before finals). Do you think they'll check? Do you think they'll find out that I went there if I don't tell them? Also, if they do find out, what should I say? And if I tell them the truth, will I get into a single medical school? I obviously need a lot of help because I'm bugging a little. I just got the Amherst transcript, and "disciplinary suspension" is on it. Someone please give me some advice...

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot hide this. They want every grade from every school, even college classes taken in high school. If they found out, and I imagine it's not that hard since you spent a significant amount of time there, you probably wouldn't get in anywhere. It's extremely risky. It probably wouldn't hurt you that much. It's not like you commited a felony or even an honor code violation. Maybe you can explain something in PS or secondaries. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I'm never going to get in to med school now. Thanks for your thoughts. I can't believe all my efforts will be ruined. I didn't even think of it until I read the AMCAS app. Is there any school that would take me? A special school for would-be convicts :confused:

Ask your current advisor about this. What school do you go to now? Try contacting the pre-med committee at Amherst and see what they say. My friend went to Amherst and the pre-med committee deals with very few students compared with a big university. Someone there may be able to offer you some advice, even if you don't go to the school anymore. Try contacting your class dean from when you were there and ask if anyone else has been in a similar situation. Again, the school is really small, so the dean may remember your specific situation and MAY be able to offer advice. I know that Amherst does not look too favorably upon people transferring out of the school so your reception may be a little hostile, but it's worth pursuing every avenue.

There ARE other people who have gotten into school with misdemeanors, etc. You have a place on AMCAS where you can explain yourself, although I wouldn't try to make excuses, just say what you did and how you have changed and learned from your experience.

Good luck!

no, no you're right - I didn't mean to downplay it. I just don't like thinking about it or her because it really was a low point in my life. It's for my own peace of mind that I downplay. I'm kind of a stress case. I will bear in mind that I did a wrong thing and I should own up to it. Although, I don't necessarily think I got off easy (it was a very difficult thing to leave school for me), I appreciate that it could have been a lot worse. Thanks for making me aware that I seem like I'm brushing it off - I don't want to do that on the AMCAS. I hate how one thing you do can somehow ruin the one thing you really want to do.

Skirtingtheedge said:
Wow, I'm never going to get in to med school now. Thanks for your thoughts. I can't believe all my efforts will be ruined. I didn't even think of it until I read the AMCAS app. Is there any school that would take me? A special school for would-be convicts :confused:

If the rest of your application is strong, you should definitely apply. This happened in your freshman year and they will probably more understanding. Talk about it in your personal statement and explain that you were having a very difficult time. Show how you've changed. Maybe you can even call up some schools and ask how something like this would affect your chances.

just be honest and disclose fully to AMCAS. if your stats are decent and you don't tank the interviews you will be in easy. imho

Honesty is not the best policy here
YOu have to downplay it..or at least, get certified for being a klepto and that you are now reformed...I don't think any med school wants someone who steals their stuff, things are getting really expensive and rare these days..

Good luck man.. :D :luck:

Maybe not with regards to answering that question about whether your girlfriend has a huge ass or your boyfriend has a big dick, but on AMCAS, yes, honesty is required.

I totally missed those questions on AMCAS last year.

dentate_gyrus said:
Maybe not with regards to answering that question about whether your girlfriend has a huge ass or your boyfriend has a big dick, but on AMCAS, yes, honesty is required.

I totally missed those questions on AMCAS last year.

Naw, reread the post... those are strictly personal interview questions ;)

hey skirt,

this was posted on another thread. maybe it can help you out.

That's terrible advice. If a med school checks on anything by calling your undergrad institution, and they find out you lied, you can be expelled from medical school or have your offer rescinded. You do not want to go through an AMCAS investigation; that will hurt your chances far more than simply owning your mistake.

I know someone who took summer classes at an institution other than their own and failed them. They didn't submit this transcript to AMCAS and didn't claim that they had taken any classes that summer. AMCAS somehow found out- don't know how, but they did- and that person was pretty much screwed out of ever applying again due to the AMCAS investigation.

Think, people.

here's a link to the thread. it talks about situations similar to yours.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=127326&page=1

You should know that it is against federal law to put disciplinary action on your transcript. I would request a transcript from Amhurst to double check, but when I asked my school about my disciplinary action they tod me that my alcohol violation was separate from my transcript. I am not saying not to report it. But I just want to give you all the info out there. I agree that you should report that you went to Amhurst. Not doing that could come back to haunt you.

ok everyone, thanks for all the wisdom and advice. I wish you were all on the med school committees - you sound more understanding than the panel I'm picturing in my mind. Still, I've decided to take responsibility of my actions and write about the whole ordeal in AMCAS. I'll let you all know how it turns out next year... wish me luck!

And good luck to you, too. You're superstars.

mbess481 said:
I can't believe you're a med student who is advocating for lying on AMCAS applications.

Honesty is always best. Maybe not with regards to answering a question about whether your girlfriend has a huge ass or your boyfriend has a big dick, but on AMCAS, yes, honesty is required.

DO NOT LIE. It WILL catch up with you.

I was advocating downplaying it...and make it look as if it wasn't as serious as it seemed. So, you get to be honest

Skirtingtheedge said:

There has been some good advice so far. Do not hide your past from med school applications. You may have a harder time getting in, but it is absolutely not out of the question. Spend some time explaining what happened in your personal statement, focusing on what you have learned from your past.

I felt the same way as you do about a year ago. I was applying to medical school and came across the exact same question on the application. My situation is a little worse. I attended the U.S. Air Force Academy for a year, and I was kicked out for cheating. I could have hid the disciplinary action without too much difficulty because the Academy only lists "Withdrew" on my spring transcript.

I also technically resigned before I was kicked out, and I received an honorable discharge. They are legally unable to answer any questions about the circumstances of my resignation to ANY academic institutions, so I could have told medical schools I simply withdrew in my spring semester because I wanted to go elsewhere.

I told the medical schools and used a good bit of my personal statement to explain myself. I admitted to the wrong, explained a little of the context (not that it makes it any better), and gave them an update on what I had learned in the years since it happened in 1996. It probably helped that I was a member of the Honor Council at the school where I got my master's. I had to explain quite a bit during my interviews which wasn't fun, and I didn't get into some schools that I absolutely should have been accepted to, but I'm proud to say that I have been accepted to two schools, so at least I had a choice.

Good luck and be honest!!! You will thank yourself later on and it will not automatically bar you from getting in.