This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galpal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it's something you need to disclose to the schools as long as it doesn't show up anywhere on a transcript. It seems like such a small thing...if it does show up on your transcript then a short explanation like you did above seems like it'll be fine. I think they'll look past that. Don't sweat, keep shadowing and really show them you're interested in the field. That will go a long way

Just my opinion... I don't work on admissions

I don't think it's something you need to disclose to the schools as long as it doesn't show up anywhere on a transcript. It seems like such a small thing...if it does show up on your transcript then a short explanation like you did above seems like it'll be fine. I think they'll look past that. Don't sweat, keep shadowing and really show them you're interested in the field. That will go a long way

Just my opinion... I don't work on admissions

It doesn't show up on my transcript but it is on my disciplinary record. So if I am accepted to a podiatry school, won't they ask for my disciplinary record? I'm also concerned it might show up in my committee letter from our pre-health committee

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't show up on my transcript but it is on my disciplinary record. So if I am accepted to a podiatry school, won't they ask for my disciplinary record? I'm also concerned it might show up in my committee letter from our pre-health committee

If it is anywhere on any type of record, then I suggest you disclose it either somewhere on AACPM or in your PS. The schools will not directly ask you about it because they might not even know about it; that said; if they do not ask about it during interviews then do not bring it up, but imo, you should still disclose it on your application.

Overall though, I believe you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
If it is anywhere on any type of record, then I suggest you disclose it either somewhere on AACPM or in your PS. The schools will not directly ask you about it because they might not even know about it; that said; if they do not ask about it during interviews then do not bring it up, but imo, you should still disclose it on your application.

Overall though, I believe you should be fine.

Thank you for the reply - this was really helpful. I think the only question that pertains to it in the AACPMAS is titled Academic Infraction and it asks "Indicate whether you have ever been disciplined or placed on academic probation while attending an academic institution. If yes, enter an explanation in the spaces provided." I'm confused because this incident was not academically related so I'm not sure if I would answer yes to this or not. I know you're not an adcom but would appreciate any opinions!

Thank you for the reply - this was really helpful. I think the only question that pertains to it in the AACPMAS is titled Academic Infraction and it asks "Indicate whether you have ever been disciplined or placed on academic probation while attending an academic institution. If yes, enter an explanation in the spaces provided." I'm confused because this incident was not academically related so I'm not sure if I would answer yes to this or not. I know you're not an adcom but would appreciate any opinions!

If you were not put on academic probation/been disciplined academically on your academic records, then that should be a NO on AACPMAS.

Why do you think this incident might be reported in your committee letter if it not on your academic record?

Hi,

I started learning about podiatry schools last year and shadowed a podiatrist and absolutely fell in love with the profession. I'm going to be a senior this year, and in the beginning of college I was pre-med so I have all the podiatry requirements fulfilled as well. I took the MCAT this january and got a 498, but I know I can do much better and it was an off day so I am retaking it in August. I am planning on applying when I get my score back in mid-September?

However, in May of this year I was put on disciplinary probation for stealing a skirt from our college laundry room. What happened was one of my roommates left some of her clothes down in the laundry room and asked me to grab them for her, and I accidentally picked up someone else's skirt as well. I realized that later in the day but didn't return it right away because I genuinely just forgot about it, which I know was immature and wrong of me. A week later I returned the skirt to our housing office but turns out the girl had already placed a lost item report, and even though my intent was not theft, our student accountability office put me on probation for theft of property. I know this obviously won't be favorable in my application, but how much will it hurt me? Does the application ask me to disclose disciplinary probations if they are not academic? I am planning on just owning up to it and not making any excuses because I learned from this situation that the perceivability of my actions are just as important as the reality, and I should never take anything from a shared space. Please help me in any way I'm freaking out that I've crushed all my healthcare dreams because of this stupid mistake.

My other stats are overall GPA 3.2, science GPA 3.0, based on practice test scores I think an MCAT around 512, top 15 prestigious school, VP of 2 service organizations, on the executive board of 2 other clubs, >1000 hours of lab research, 2 month service international trip working in a clinic on a public health project, 80 hours of shadowing (10 of those are podiatry), etc
If it happened at school, like dorms, then your school should have the records. You can contact your registrar, provost office or student records office (whatever and who ever handles the records) and ask them if they have anything on file.

I suggest to disclose it anyways because it is honesty and honesty is what is required of a professional. If it is not on any of the school records, you might get by not disclosing and that is a risk. I dont recommend that. If you get a verification that there is a record, then you know that your probation was taken seriously and was officially recorded.

I dont think that you will be at a great disadvantage with that IA. Disclose, explain and show that you have learned from it.

That's very unfortunate that you were disciplined for such a thing if it really was as like you have explained here. But we only know your side of story. I heard that records have specific language and explanation of what has really happened from the school's perspective.

If you were not put on academic probation/been disciplined academically on your academic records, then that should be a NO on AACPMAS.

Why do you think this incident might be reported in your committee letter if it not on your academic record?

For my school, we have to fill out a committee letter review packet which contains the questions, "WERE YOU EVER THE RECIPIENT OF ANY ACTION (e.g., DISMISSAL, SUSPENSION, DISQUALIFICATION, ETC.) BY ANY COLLEGE OR OTHER INSTITUTION FOR UNACCEPTABLE ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE OR CONDUCT VIOLATIONS?" Sorry that it's all caps haha I copy-pasted from the packet. I'd have to answer yes to this so I'm assuming our pre-health counselor will include it in my committee letter. But it seems like it won't actually show up on my AACPMAS in any questions.

If it happened at school, like dorms, then your school should have the records. You can contact your registrar, provost office or student records office (whatever and who ever handles the records) and ask them if they have anything on file.

I suggest to disclose it anyways because it is honesty and honesty is what is required of a professional. If it is not on any of the school records, you might get by not disclosing and that is a risk. I dont recommend that. If you get a verification that there is a record, then you know that your probation was taken seriously and was officially recorded.

I dont think that you will be at a great disadvantage with that IA. Disclose, explain and show that you have learned from it.

That's very unfortunate that you were disciplined for such a thing if it really was as like you have explained here. But we only know your side of story. I heard that records have specific language and explanation of what has really happened from the school's perspective.

I agree, I don't want to risk it and I think honesty is always the right way to go. I just want to know if I'm essentially shooting myself in the foot by disclosing, so I can be mentally prepared for the outcome. But there doesn't seem to be a question on the AACPMAS asking about non-academic IA's so I'm not sure where exactly to disclose

I agree, I don't want to risk it and I think honesty is always the right way to go. I just want to know if I'm essentially shooting myself in the foot by disclosing, so I can be mentally prepared for the outcome. But there doesn't seem to be a question on the AACPMAS asking about non-academic IA's so I'm not sure where exactly to disclose
I have just looked at AACPMAs and there are 2 separate questions. One is about academic:

Have you ever been disciplined for academic performance (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?

and another one is about student conduct:

Have you ever been disciplined for student conduct violations (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?

I have just looked at AACPMAs and there are 2 separate questions. One is about academic:

Have you ever been disciplined for academic performance (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?

Have you ever been disciplined for student conduct violations (e.g. academic probation, dismissal, suspension, disqualification, etc.) by any college or school?
Examples Of Student Misconduct/Unacceptable Behavior | Navarro College Student Handbook

Please look at the link. It gives examples of student misconduct.

One of them says:

10. Stealing, destroying, defacing, damaging or misusing college property or property belonging to others and/or participating as an accessory in such activity.

Oh I must have missed that, thanks so much! I guess I'll just disclose and hope for the best then.

Oh I must have missed that, thanks so much! I guess I'll just disclose and hope for the best then.
There is a space just below for each question to write an explanation.

But, like I said, I would contact a school and see what their records say. You dont want to contradict your schools explanation with your own explanation.

That's just my opinion.

I have/had like 9-10 various traffic violations and some were considered misdemeanors in my state. I asked the schools and they advised to disclose everything. I did. Provided explanation. When I did my final background check nothing came up anyways. But I felt better disclosing everything. Nothing was ever questioned.

There is a space just below for each question to write an explanation.

But, like I said, I would contact a school and see what their records say. You dont want to contradict your schools explanation with your own explanation.

That's just my opinion.

I have/had like 9-10 various traffic violations and some were considered misdemeanors in my state. I asked the schools and they advised to disclose everything. I did. Provided explanation. When I did my final background check nothing came up anyways. But I felt better disclosing everything. Nothing was ever questioned.

Thanks for the advice. I asked my school what the record says and it's just a letter with a brief overview of the situation - it says a skirt was taken from a common laundry room, and I was given disciplinary probation. I don't think my explanation contradicts this.

Reactions: 1 user