Disciplinary Record for Covid Violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm reasonably confident based on the amount of research I have done over the past 3 years, both online and in person. This cycle, lots of people were expected all kinds of allowances due to the unprecedented times we are living in. Reality is beginning to smack them right in the face as schools have been blessed with a surge in applications far greater than anything they expected, and, as a result, accommodations for applicants have been far and few between.

I hope you didn't take "punishment" literally, because that's certainly not how I meant it. I meant, based on everything I have heard, in addition to how this cycle is going, both for my online as well as in person friends, that no allowance will be made for applicants who do not have in person shadowing experiences due to COVID, so long as enough excellent candidates exist who do have it.

Of course, you are correct. I am just a pre-med who knows nothing, so anyone who believes shadowing is not that important should feel free to apply next cycle without any due to COVID. My understanding is that most schools have a section in their secondaries devoted to explaining any COVID related issues with their application. After all, it is their time, their money, and their cycle. Not mine. That goes without saying. I am just trying to share my uninformed opinion. Everyone is free to take it or not, based on whether anything I say sounds reasonable or not. I am not getting paid either way! :cool:

By the way, you've noted elsewhere that you are a MS4, and that shadowing is not as important as pre-meds think, and that self awareness is key. Just wondering -- how many hours of shadowing did you have when you applied???
You have zero experience to back up what you’re saying, and should refrain from giving advice to people who are actually applying. There are plenty of people with actual experience in this area, and you are not one of them. This is obvious from your posts.

I never formally shadowed a physician prior to medical school. It never came up in an interview. Today’s applicants often have some sort of contact with the healthcare system that makes dedicated shadowing a little less relevant. Adcoms look for students who are making an informed decision, and formal shadowing is just one way of demonstrating that.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users
You have zero experience to back up what you’re saying, and should refrain from giving advice to people who are actually applying. There are plenty of people with actual experience in this area, and you are not one of them. This is obvious from your posts.

I never formally shadowed a physician prior to medical school. It never came up in an interview. Today’s applicants often have some sort of contact with the healthcare system that makes dedicated shadowing a little less relevant. Adcoms look for students who are making an informed decision, and formal shadowing is just one way of demonstrating that.
Fair enough, and your experience is HUGE. You are correct, I have zero experience in admissions (although I do have many hours of shadowing :cool:), and all the advice I've received from EVERYONE, online, in person, pre-health advisors, doctors, adcoms, etc., is that it is necessary. Based on your experience and advice, it appears as though @HopeP's kid is good to go, with no shadowing and no special COVID accommodation, as long as he has some contact with the healthcare system he can demonstrate. I stand corrected.
All right, this is getting out of hand. I believe OP's question has been answered.

@KnightDoc you have over 4,000 post most of which is giving advice that you have heard or read, but never actually gone through. All I think @underthesun is saying is that going through the actual process, getting in, being around countless other truly successful applicants, knowing what their apps looked like, knowing their stories, possibly being a student interviewer / ambassador, sitting in on board and acceptance committee meetings is far more valuable in understanding what it takes to get in than just being a pre-med who has done all the research you have done. I don't think he is saying that you have no clue what you are talking about. But on this post you have heavily criticized another pre-med based of what you believe (which is totally acceptable because we all have opinions) to be true from another perspective pre-med experience, even after you answered his question.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Comparing the 2 situations you described are not equivalent, for lack of a better word. Politicians, for the most part, get elected for what they say, not necessarily what they do. The price that Newsom and Cuomo pay for their blatant elitist and lawless behavior is small. OP might pay a higher price for their actions as they have much more at risk than the politicians. I totally agree that hypocrisy abounds during this pandemic. However, getting into med school is the only game in town. Understand the rules and how it's played, or take your ball and go home. I personally don't think OPs behavior makes his/her app DOA, but it's not a good look for him/her when applications are at such a high level. I agree with those above that it will be school and Adcom dependent as to how favorable their application is viewed.
I was referring to some of the responses. I already said it will be an issue for OP and he should have a well thought out response. As per Newsom and Cuomo, they will get away with their behavior given the state of the politics.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,
For this past Fall semester I got caught violating covid regulation for my college. my school has given me an option to be removed from spring housing while still paying $8000 of room and board or to return but have a disciplinary record. I just got caught bringing a couple of my friends into my suite that did not belong to my residential hall but were still on campus students. I know that if i have a disciplinary record, I would have to disclose this on my application to med schools. However, do you think that this violation would be seen as a minor violation or as a major violation by med schools.

tbh should have just been removed from housing seemed like the best choice of those two.

For all the people shaming OP, make sure you put on your application every time you had unprotected sex, drove without a seatbelt, worked when you knew you weren't feeling well, or otherwise put other people at risk and just didn't get caught. Get off your high horses.

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
For all the people shaming OP, make sure you put on your application every time you had unprotected sex, drove without a seatbelt, worked when you knew you weren't feeling well, or otherwise put other people at risk and just didn't get caught. Get off your high horses.
Interesting points. IMHO, they'd be valid if the AMCAS instructions required disclosure of those items. For me, it's really not about being on a high horse -- it's about willingness to risk getting caught lying on a med school application. AMCAS requires disclosure of IAs, whether or not they appear on your transcript. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any disclosure requirements regarding unprotected sex or exposing others to your sniffles. :cool:

Last edited:
Interesting points. IMHO, they'd be valid if the AMCAS instructions required disclosure of those items. For me, it's really not about being on a high horse -- it's about willingness to risk getting caught lying on a med school application. AMCAS requires disclosure of IAs, whether or not they appear on your transcript. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any disclosure requirements regarding unprotected sex or exposing others to your sniffles. :cool:
My sniffles? It looks like you've plastered the majority of your thread trying to cover up your initial rudeness to the poster. So, what you're saying is, you don't ACTUALLY care about exposing people to COVID, for you it's about getting what you want? Sounds real genuine.

Reactions: 1 users
My sniffles? It looks like you've plastered the majority of your thread trying to cover up your initial rudeness to the poster. So, what you're saying is, you don't ACTUALLY care about exposing people to COVID, for you it's about getting what you want? Sounds real genuine.
No, no, no -- it the global "your." Make it my sniffles!! The thread (which isn't mine, by the way) isn't about exposing people to COVID, or unprotected sex, or sniffles. It's about reporting IAs, what the consequences of that will be, and whether a COVID related IA might be a bigger deal to an adcom than another campus housing related IA.

No, no, no -- it the global "your." Make it my sniffles!! The thread (which isn't mine, by the way) isn't about exposing people to COVID, or unprotected sex, or sniffles. It's about reporting IAs, what the consequences of that will be, and whether a COVID related IA might be a bigger deal to an adcom than another campus housing related IA.
Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong - the school is willing to NOT administer an IA. No IA = no need to report. If this isn't about exposing people to illness, then what is it about? OP didn't get a bullhorn and rally students against vaccines. They had a few consenting adults over in a private residence against regulation. Break a regulation, pay a fine vs. Take an IA, sully your record forever. People do this every single day with points on their license. Let go of the cash and save yourself the points, which will cost your more in the long-run. You're not a martyr for taking the points.

Yes, but correct me if I'm wrong - the school is willing to NOT administer an IA. No IA = no need to report. If this isn't about exposing people to illness, then what is it about? OP didn't get a bullhorn and rally students against vaccines. They had a few consenting adults over in a private residence against regulation. Break a regulation, pay a fine vs. Take an IA, sully your record forever. People do this every single day with points on their license. Let go of the cash and save yourself the points, which will cost your more in the long-run. You're not a martyr for taking the points.
It comes down to the definition of an IA. AMCAS defines it as "any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw, and even if the action does not appear on, or has been deleted or expunged from, your official transcripts as a consequence of institutional policy or personal petition."

If there is a way to justify claiming that being forced to vacate campus housing for violating school COVID protocols does not meet this definition, then you are absolutely correct. It's not about what the school considers administering an IA. It's about whether they took ANY ACTION FOR A CONDUCT VIOLATION, regardless of whether it caused an interruption in enrollment or whether it appears on a transcript.

In this case, it's not about being a martyr for taking points. AMCAS is aware of the loophole offered by UGs, and has specifically closed it by definition. It then comes down to a risk/reward analysis each applicant has to make for himself regarding the relatively small chance of getting caught versus the consequences of that happening.

Last edited:
All right, this is getting out of hand. I believe OP's question has been answered.

@KnightDoc you have over 4,000 post most of which is giving advice that you have heard or read, but never actually gone through. All I think @underthesun is saying is that going through the actual process, getting in, being around countless other truly successful applicants, knowing what their apps looked like, knowing their stories, possibly being a student interviewer / ambassador, sitting in on board and acceptance committee meetings is far more valuable in understanding what it takes to get in than just being a pre-med who has done all the research you have done. I don't think he is saying that you have no clue what you are talking about. But on this post you have heavily criticized another pre-med based of what you believe (which is totally acceptable because we all have opinions) to be true from another perspective pre-med experience, even after you answered his question.
This is why I use the Ignore function. Very useful on insufferable, know it all trolls who simply like to argue on SDN.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 23 users
It comes down to the definition of an IA. AMCAS defines it as "any institutional action by any college or medical school for unacceptable academic performance or conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment or require you to withdraw, and even if the action does not appear on, or has been deleted or expunged from, your official transcripts as a consequence of institutional policy or personal petition."

If there is a way to justify claiming that being forced to vacate campus housing for violating school COVID protocols does not meet this definition, then you are absolutely correct. It's not about what the school considers administering an IA. It's about whether they took ANY ACTION FOR A CONDUCT VIOLATION, regardless of whether it caused an interruption in enrollment or whether it appears on a transcript.

In this case, it's not about being a martyr for taking points. AMCAS is aware of the loophole offered by UGs, and has specifically closed it by definition. It then comes down to a risk/reward analysis each applicant has to make for himself regarding the relatively small chance of getting caught versus the consequences of that happening.
Just read Goro’s post above to know what we all think of you

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
LOL. just to clarify I was not planning on lying on my application. I was just initially told by my school that it does not need to be reported if i stay home. I was not familiar with the rules on AMCAS at first but you guys have told me that I need to report it whether or not there is no record of it. I did not know this at first bc my school did not tell me but I learned it now. I was misinformed. The whole point of my thread was how would AMCAS take this violation not whether or not I should lie about this.

LOL. just to clarify I was not planning on lying on my application. I was just initially told by my school that it does not need to be reported if i stay home. I was not familiar with the rules on AMCAS at first but you guys have told me that I need to report it whether or not there is no record of it. I did not know this at first bc my school did not tell me but I learned it now. I was misinformed. The whole point of my thread was how would AMCAS take this violation not whether or not I should lie about this.
Yes, of course. I'm sorry for any implication otherwise. The thread has veered off in many different directions, and I was just clarifying in that response that the point of the thread was whether or not to disclose.

It is very clear from your OP that you were led to believe that you didn't have to report. I certainly never meant to imply that you were asking about lying -- you clearly were not. That said, as you now know, not reporting when you are required to do so is definitely a form of lying. That's why I said what I said in that post! It was in no way directed at you!

Do whatever you feel is right, but just be aware that LEGALLY, there is a difference between giving you an IA vs. NOT giving you an IA.

"Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition."

A court of law cannot dismiss a charge against you, and then still put it on your criminal record. A teacher cannot rip up a referral that they were GOING to give you and later claim it's grounds for your suspension.

Now, if the school has ALREADY administered the IA and you're making some formal deal to have it removed, that is a different story.

Before you decide, I would seek out legal advice or talk directly to the school to clarify whether or not they plan to put this in your records somehow or if they are legally allowed to discuss it in the future.

All that being said, even if you DO take the IA and explain it with the suggested 1-2 sentences on apps, I don't think it will keep you out of schools. I'm sure people have been in more precarious boats and garnered understanding.

Reactions: 3 users
Is OP required to report if a school has no record of this violation or won't provide the information to AMCAS or any other entity? I am not sure why AMCAS is putting all the responsibility on students not on schools.

Do whatever you feel is right, but just be aware that LEGALLY, there is a difference between giving you an IA vs. NOT giving you an IA.

"Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition."

A court of law cannot dismiss a charge against you, and then still put it on your criminal record. A teacher cannot rip up a referral that they were GOING to give you and later claim it's grounds for your suspension.

Now, if the school has ALREADY administered the IA and you're making some formal deal to have it removed, that is a different story.

Before you decide, I would seek out legal advice or talk directly to the school to clarify whether or not they plan to put this in your records somehow or if they are legally allowed to discuss it in the future.

All that being said, even if you DO take the IA and explain it with the suggested 1-2 sentences on apps, I don't think it will keep you out of schools. I'm sure people have been in more precarious boats and garnered understanding.
Thank you so much for your advice. I very much appreciate it. I talked to admission representatives from some of the schools that I am interested in and they told me that I should just take the disciplinary record and keep housing bc by the time they see my application, they won't have to worry about me breaking a rule related to a pandemic that hopefully should not be serious by then. I have also discussed the situation with student conduct today and they told me that if i return, they will just have me do community service which does not go on my disciplinary record but I will still report it on my app if I have to.

Last edited:
Is OP required to report if a school has no record of this violation or won't provide the information to AMCAS or any other entity? I am not sure why AMCAS is putting all the responsibility on students not on schools.
Yeah . It's just the system in my school is that covid violations only go through reslife and not student conduct so that is why they told me there is no need to report it. That is what they told me when I called them.

Yeah . It's just the system in my school is that covid violations only go through reslife and not student conduct so that is why they told me there is no need to report it. That is what they told me when I called them.
I would get that in writing, not verbal.

I am not an adcom but if school says that in writing I won't report it. I know some will go after me for this.

Lol it is written in our housing contract. They pointed it out for me.
What does it say? Wordings matters. Personally hasn't come across schools that has 0 tolerance policy for Covid violators, in most cases they get warning and repeated offenders disciplined to suspension (not aware of expulsion case).

Thank you so much for your advice. I very much appreciate it. I talked to admission representatives from some of the schools that I am interested in and they told me that I should just take the disciplinary record and keep housing bc by the time they see my application, they won't have to worry about me breaking a rule related to a pandemic that hopefully should not be serious by then. I have also discussed the situation with student conduct today and they told me that if i return, they will just have me do community service which does not go on my disciplinary record but I will still report it on my app if I have to.
I pretty much agree as well. I do wish to note that I have seen people who didn't check the IA box and who were then inadvertently outed by LOR writers. We then rejected them.

Just own this and try to put as much time as possible between the incident and your applying. Be sure to engage in lots of service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Its infuriating that some schools on secondary's will ask for charges even when they are dismissed. Like why even deal with innocent until proven guilty at that point?

Its infuriating that some schools on secondary's will ask for charges even when they are dismissed. Like why even deal with innocent until proven guilty at that point?
Lawyers, no doubt.

But some schools ask if you've ever been arrested, but not if you were convicted.

Pay $8000 fine.

We should know his stats first. If he has solid credentials, it might be the way to go or alternatively try to settle the dollar amount but leave university housing.

and you get different views from different adcoms and attending physicians. I guess OP's mistake is worse than CA governor having a party at French Laundry and deserves no admission.
Or Dr. Mike (a YouTube social media influencer) partying on a boat.

Or even M1s partying on Halloween across the country and breaking local/state guidelines.

We all have lapses in judgment. I’m sorry this instance resulted in an IA, OP.

Or Dr. Mike (a YouTube social media influencer) partying on a boat.

Or even M1s partying on Halloween across the country and breaking local/state guidelines.

We all have lapses in judgment. I’m sorry this instance resulted in an IA, OP.
My stomach churns by just the thought that how many freshmen premed fall for this. On one hand they are supposed to immature and on other hand premed tag.

I'm going to give you a slightly different response and tone from those who have previously posted.

First, to my knowledge, an IA ACTUALLY has to show up on your transcripts for it to be reportable to AMCAs. It's kind of like the same thing for misdemeanors. They ask you to report things such as speeding tickets which can be a misdemeanor but are almost never listed on any background check whatsoever as long as you complete the required tasks. I have also seen PLENTY of advice on this sight about not reporting something as an IA in instances where someone was given some sort of choice "Either you do x for your punishment, or y but don't worry, it wont show up on record unless you fail to comply," because it is not truly an IA.
Small correction, and slightly off topic; speeding tickets are citations and not criminal activity (below the threshold for reckless driving, that is). I was recently shocked to find they have to be disclosed in the application process, as neither state where I have a license are this picky. Now, maybe if your license is suspended for frequent violations... Anyway, ridiculous, and you heard it from me.

Nearly everyone on here has overreacted. I received multiple acceptances to PA programs and Medical schools with a DUI on my record. Having a couple friends over doesn’t make you a bad person. Just a silly mistake that I think many adcoms would ignore. My 2 cents

Small correction, and slightly off topic; speeding tickets are citations and not criminal activity (below the threshold for reckless driving, that is). I was recently shocked to find they have to be disclosed in the application process, as neither state where I have a license are this picky. Now, maybe if your license is suspended for frequent violations... Anyway, ridiculous, and you heard it from me.
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't speeding tickets wiped off your record after 4 years? Assuming you were a dumb 16-17 year old I doubt anyone would care even if they weren't, but they'd also be gone by the time you appply. Also speeding tickets/"traffic violations" are specifically excluded from AMCAS for some school, and in some states isn't even considered a class c misdemeanor.

shocked at the level of overreaction to this post. I think we should all have a little humility and realize that we might have all made the same mistake while in undergrad. Op, I hope you can figure out a good plan of action. Personally I don’t think I would feel like I was behaving unethically if I did not disclose this on amcas if you choose to move off campus. On the other hand, if you choose to stay, I’ve seen people get admitted with worse blemishes on their records, but who knows how it will be viewed by adcoms

Reactions: 6 users
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't speeding tickets wiped off your record after 4 years? Assuming you were a dumb 16-17 year old I doubt anyone would care even if they weren't, but they'd also be gone by the time you appply. Also speeding tickets/"traffic violations" are specifically excluded from AMCAS for some school, and in some states isn't even considered a class c misdemeanor.
There is literally no planet where you'll get penalized for a few tickets during a preliminary license at age 17 unless you were recklessly driving (>50 mph over or something) or DUI. Lmao. Y'all seriously gotta chill.

Sheesh tons of responses here I hope OP gets to read this.
People are being harsh on you. There is no question that what you did was a big mistake and irresponsible, but don't beat yourself up over it. This situation is incredibly complicated and complex. Repercussions seem to be draconian at times. But there is no question this would look bad on your record.

The 8k lost vs. institutional action seems like a false binary. There should be some other alternatives. Do everything in your power to keep this off your record, but develop some negotiation skills a bit here. Work the system a bit. Talk to administrators directly. Express honest remorse. Honestly this offer from them is incredibly inequitable; if there are two students, one wealthy and one not, the wealthy student can simply take the loss and move off campus, whereas the student on a tighter budget will be forced to accept the institutional action. When you approach them, do so with humility and an earnest tone. But you can be firm in that this "choice" is not a reasonable proposition.

Offer to do community service, public health awareness work, etc.

Reactions: 5 users

Not necessarily. It depends on where the conduct happens. In my state anything is over 80 mph is automatically considered reckless driving which is treated like a crime rather than a mere traffic infraction. There are roads with 70 mph speed limits, so 11 mph could create a reportable offense in my state in some circumstances.

Not necessarily. It depends on where the conduct happens. In my state anything is over 80 mph is automatically considered reckless driving which is treated like a crime rather than a mere traffic infraction. There are roads with 70 mph speed limits, so 11 mph could create a reportable offense in my state in some circumstances.
This is also off-topic but I know a lot about this; if you got speeding tickets as a minor they'll be wiped off your record anyway in most states. I live in a pretty rural county where speeding tickets were pretty much a commonality for kids after they got their preliminary license, lol, then they'd get their licenses suspended until they got their real license at age 18. If you get any speeding tickets after 18 then you probably have to report it on AMCAS would be my guess, unless you were DUI/recklessly driving <18. Even after 18 they'll get wiped by the time you're 22-23.

Prob differs by state to state but long story short no one cares about a damn speeding ticket lol

there was this other girl who brought a cat into her dorm. the RA entered her suite one day and saw it - she had to drive the cat home.

this incident didn't appear on her record, but it was "actioned" upon by the instition.

what usually constitutes an formal "Institutional Action" by a university, on record or not, is more severe. AMCAS is asking if you've received an IA.

I would email the university asking specifically if "this event and its repercussions constitutes an Institutional Action". If not, you can have a clear conscience in not reporting it as an IA.

Sheesh tons of responses here I hope OP gets to read this.
People are being harsh on you. There is no question that what you did was a big mistake and irresponsible, but don't beat yourself up over it. This situation is incredibly complicated and complex. Repercussions seem to be draconian at times. But there is no question this would look bad on your record.

The 8k lost vs. institutional action seems like a false binary. There should be some other alternatives. Do everything in your power to keep this off your record, but develop some negotiation skills a bit here. Work the system a bit. Talk to administrators directly. Express honest remorse. Honestly this offer from them is incredibly inequitable; if there are two students, one wealthy and one not, the wealthy student can simply take the loss and move off campus, whereas the student on a tighter budget will be forced to accept the institutional action. When you approach them, do so with humility and an earnest tone. But you can be firm in that this "choice" is not a reasonable proposition.

Offer to do community service, public health awareness work, etc.
I did. I told them how sorry I am and how I know what i did was wrong and I also said that I understand that I need to face some type of consequence for my actions. I also told them however, my fear of having a disciplinary record and they told me that they understand and that they might have me just do community service.

This isn’t a direct answer to your question but I have a very bad conduct IA at age 19, resulting in an expulsion and some legal issues. You should take the accept the IA for reasons outlined by gonnif and some other posters. It’s not an app killer if you’re smart about it, starting right now. My IA was a pivot point for me to grow up and stop acting like a dumb kid. It took several years for me to truly accept responsibility for my bad behavior but in the meantime, I took positions of responsibility at work and found volunteer positions that I believed showed I was thoughtful, mature and passionate about public health. I’m confident I’m better off for all of it. My “punishment” is that it took me about a decade after the IA before I made it into medical school.

You're kidding, right? If not, how do you think med schools would view any violation committed by a prospective student related to worst global public health crisis in the past century? This isn't an underaged beer, or a cat in a dorm. This is willfully violating a rule designed to control the spread of a deadly, highly contagious disease while allowing your school to stay open. At my school, you'd be removed, you'd forfeit the room and board, AND you'd have the formal disciplinary record. Schools are under all kinds of pressure to try to provide some sort of on-campus experience, and are dead serious about the rules.

Not telling you what to do, but I'd point out that AMCAS will expect you to disclose, whether or not it's on your record, so not disclosing will be lying when you sign the application, and later discovery would risk blowing up your career.

I would go a step further and ask the esteemed adcoms whether this would render an application DOA? @LizzyM @gyngyn @gonnif?
I agree with the previous poster, this sounds like an $8000 mistake, if you can afford to lose that. Not sure which state you are in, but we are talking about $8000 or a disciplinary mark on your record. You should definitely consult an attorney licensed to practice in your state, try to mitigate your punishment or at the very least hammer our the details, and pay what needs to be paid.

I have to respectfully, from a legal standpoint disagree, in general, with those who are saying you must disclose discipline, EVEN if you fork over the $8000. My disagreement, is in general, your specific state laws rule the day. However, with the exception, possibly of only the state of Louisiana, the ONLY state in our country under Civil Code law, what I will say below, will be found to be true in most if not all jurisdictions. (states)

Almost every state allows a person, who is arrested for some minor offense, usually if they have no prior record, to have a chance to get the case dismissed and expunged, in exchange for community service, anger management where appropriate or other counseling, staying out of trouble for a period of time, etc.

And most states allow you to therefore, since you never were found guilty, maintain all your rights including innocence and wrongful arrest (though to expunge in some cases, you must waive the right to sue for such), you are legally allowed, after that expungement to say you have NEVER been arrested...and if such were brought up in a court of law, it could NOT BE lawfully used against you, nor can you be deemed to have been dishonest.

The same is true, LEGALLY, of all the various deferred adjudication among the ststes, where a person was charged, the person was on probation for a period of time and/or completed some condition, came back to court and had the guilty plea or verdict voided by the judge as a binding court order. Voided convictions and arrests, legally can NEVER be mentioned, are NOT even in the court system (but you MUST, IF arrested update The FBI, they will keep your finger prints on file, though, but then, a great many professionals and others voluntarily submitted such on file)

There are people in law enforcement right now, people who are judges, lawyers, and yes doctors, who broke no law, were NOT dishonest legally, which overcomes the administrative rules or rulings in universities, which of course are sometimes overruled and have judgments issued against them in the courts. (NOTE, again this is in general, certain high security positions, or those requiring certain security clearances, and some federal agencies, this may not, or will NOT be true, and NOT TRUE in terms of immigration, or on a gun carry application in some states)

A person buys a car, that says: "As Is, no Warranty, all sales are final" and they leave the car lot, and around the corner, the car dies. The dealership has its rules, and you are out of your money and get nothing, right? BUT WHAT does the law say?

The Uniform Commercial Code(as well as various state laws) imposes a duty, a warranty, in basic terms, that every car sold must be fit to be sold, or also if there was some latent, not reasonably discoverable defect, guess who wins? The consumer. Now, of course, too often, people do not know ALL their rights, and lose in the process.

My point is there is what the law requires, and what some form or application requires, businesss or university requires, USUALLY the law is the winner.(some exceptions noted)

Make sure your $8000 fee in the dorm, or whatever it is cut down to solves all the problems. (because, honestly, if that covers room and board till May...no way, I can see paying for what you used, and maybe a thousand or so more as a penalty, but that is just my view, talk to your lawyer, sounds like all things considered, even after a few hours of legal fees (all it should take) you may still have some of that $8000 in your pocket!)

I recommend legal counsel just to make sure this is legally enforceable arranged in such a way, that you admit to nothing, any there is no LEGALLY disclosable discipline.

I think you will be okay, aah, besides losing your room and board, and money. Yes you made a serious error in judgment and got caught. But, then, life should allow second chances. Best wishes to you.

• Hmm
OP, just my opinion here
But for disclosure I am an interviewer and non-voting member of the adcom at my school...
Why in the world would you pay 8K when you don’t need to? To me that is pure insanity. If your school has said in writing, as you’ve posted, that this isn’t an IA then you don’t need to report it. Why would you? I guarantee you that noone, including AMCAS, your letter writers, professors, med school adcom members, pets, casual acquaintances, or anyone else will never know about this incident and could care less even if they did. Adcoms have bigger fish to fry than chasing someone down for having a couple of friends over to their room to study.

OP, just my opinion here
But for disclosure I am an interviewer and non-voting member of the adcom at my school...
Why in the world would you pay 8K when you don’t need to? To me that is pure insanity. If your school has said in writing, as you’ve posted, that this isn’t an IA then you don’t need to report it. Why would you? I guarantee you that noone, including AMCAS, your letter writers, professors, med school adcom members, pets, casual acquaintances, or anyone else will never know about this incident and could care less even if they did. Adcoms have bigger fish to fry than chasing someone down for having a couple of friends over to their room to study.
I agree but some including adcoms seems to think AMCAS requires disclosure.

AMCAS puts that language in to cover their own heads. That way if someone doesn’t report something serious they aren’t held liable by the school or applicant or some other third party. That doesn’t mean that one shouldn’t use common sense, especially when your own school says you aren’t required to report it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone ever just read SDN threads as a form of entertainment?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
OP, just my opinion here
It's in our contract. Even if we are removed from housing, we are financially liable for both semesters for housing and meal plan even though I can not utilize any of them. It's ridiculous i know but colleges are greedy and do not care that we are in a pandemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.