Disclosing bipolar illness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychdoc2b

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I would really appeciate your feedback on this. I was diagnosed with bipolar illness. It took me more than 4 years to finish medical school because of this. I had a lot of difficulties my second year, and had to take a year off from school. The good news is that I was treated, did well during my clinical years, without any problems. In my personal statement and in the part in eras where they ask you to talk about "interruptions" should I specially mention that I had bipolar illness and dealt with and was open and honest about it? Or should I say something else with less detail, with the intention of talking personally to the program director about it fully? My preference would be along the lines of the former and be open, but I'm just afraid if it would hurt me.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just say that your studies were interrupted due to a medical illness for which you have now been fully treated. Also indicate that presently, you do not have any health conditions that would interfere with your ability to practice all aspects of medicine.

You should not have to say any more than that (even in person). I would tread carefully... there still is a major stigma against mental health disorders. Note the wording above is technically accurate but would lead people to think that the condition was a routine medical/surgical issue.

Good luck.

Agree.

You should NOT mention your personal experience with bipolar d/o. It is ok to talk about dealing with family members or relatives or friends with bipolar and how that makes you want to go into psych. However, it is a big NO NO to mention about suffering from bipolar d/o (or schizophrenia, or depression, etc.) yourself.

Psych residency programs do not want ANYBODY to drop out. Do not even allow them to have the slightest doubt about your ability to withstand residency and the emotional burden of taking care of sick, mentally illed patients.

Someone who read personal statements for her psych residency program gave me this advice (not that it is relevant to me but it came up as a topic when we joked about how to write a good PS).

Members don't see this ad :)
totally agree with the above posters.
If you reveal at any stage that you have been dx with a mental illness, you probably will go unmatched.
There is a HUGE stigma against mental illness in residents, even in medicine, even in psychiatry.
They will press you during your interviews, so be VERY CAREFUL what you say.
Of course, no PD will ever admit that, because you could sue him/her, but that's the way it is.

talk about hypocrisy...

I talked to a psychiatric attending and his advice to me, and other one chairman of a department in a different field, that I should be as honest as possible without revealing details. They suggested that I should say that I had bipolar illness because my record has gaps and extensions that demand explanation. Otherwise, if my performance was not affected, there should be no need to tell anyone. In one way, this whole thing is humiliating. The way the psychiatric attending put it, though, was that the more open and honest I was, without inappropriately giving details that no one wants to hear, will suggest that I have come to terms with my problems and am doing well. He also suggested that I shouldn't just keep these problems to myself, or just with my psychiatrist/therapist--he said that go it alone attitude will not as good as someone who openly admits he has a weakness, is seeking help, and is not willing to go it alone. Anyhow, I would still appreciate your thoughts.....

I would agree with the other posters that you should not mention it upfront in your personal statement, but simply say that you had some personal health issues to which you had to attend.

However, if an interviewer asks you to be more specific about the nature of your problem, honesty is probably the best way to go. And you certainly don't have to "inappropriately giv[e] details that no one wants to hear," but simply say that you developed the problem during medical school, took some time to get it under control, but that you succeeded, and it will not likely be an issue in residency.

I would agree with the other posters that you should not mention it upfront in your personal statement, but simply say that you had some personal health issues to which you had to attend.

However, if an interviewer asks you to be more specific about the nature of your problem, honesty is probably the best way to go. And you certainly don't have to "inappropriately giv[e] details that no one wants to hear," but simply say that you developed the problem during medical school, took some time to get it under control, but that you succeeded, and it will not likely be an issue in residency.