Discoloration Of Materials in CT Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SigPiPup

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently investigating the discoloration of adhesives and rubbers in a CT room at a medical facility. All Previous tests for radiation leakage have shown none. Have any of you experienced this or have any explanation for this? Any Information is much appreciatied.

Members don't see this ad.

There will always be some radiation leakage in a CT room the question is how much? How far away is the materials from the CT gantry? These materials will turn colors as well from old age. How recently have they been replaced?

I was able to explain away much of the discoloration as old age as well as floor wax build-up. The only thing that is puzzling is the discoloration of a pair of tennis shoes (the rubber soles) that were stored in that room within a metal locker.

Could the intensity of the beam have anything to do with the formation of ozone that would in turn discolor these materials?
I have witnessed the technicians increasing the intensity to compensate for the film size. I can only assume that this practice has been done for many years now.

Thanks for your help!!