discounted laptops fro students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DReject

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fin aid aid counselor was saying that some companies like HP od Dell give student discounts with easy payment plans. Has anyone used these discounts?

I'm gonna shop around and see what's out there.

Members don't see this ad.

usually you can find out who your school associates with through your schools technology department. My school works with Dell and Apple so you can get specials on all of their computers. I just purchased a new Dell and got about $300 off the price plus free upgrade to 3year warranty/accidental damage/lo-jack and a free printer

While the major manufacturers do give student discounts, you can sometimes get better deals outside of the programs offered by the schools. Be sure to shop around outside your school to get the best deal.

That was for hardware. For software, generally the best deal is through your school where you can get massive discounts like Office 2007 Enterprise for less than $100 (less than the student/home edition at a regular store).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my MacBook Pro using Apple's student discount, and it was definitely the best deal at the time. I also got a free iPod nano. When I was checking out Dell, they also had their best deals through my school at the time I was looking.

http://www.dell.com/delluniversity

you don't need to sign up or have an ID. Just click the link below the ID box to enter. You can get up to 12% off any computer you buy (factors are warranty and price before discount). As long as you get a 3-4 year warranty, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting the full 12% off. In addition, you get to take advantage of special sales that go on quite often.

oh and i agree, most schools give great discounts on Microsoft Office, although if you do a bundle it may be just as cheap through Dell when you factor in the 12% off plus an extra 7%-10% off if you do a warranty bundle (it includes accidental damage and theft recovery and antivirus software).

www.slickdeals.net

Go to the hot deals forums. They have great deals on laptops. Just check every day for a week or 2 and something decent should pop up. Watch out for estimated shipping dates though on the deals.

For dell, IMO, it is cheaper to go this route or look for other online/store offers than the 12% student discount route.

I got my MacBook Pro using Apple's student discount, and it was definitely the best deal at the time. I also got a free iPod nano. When I was checking out Dell, they also had their best deals through my school at the time I was looking.

Second that... great computer at a very good discount. The free iPod Nano is like thick icing on a birthday cake.

My fin aid aid counselor was saying that some companies like HP od Dell give student discounts with easy payment plans. Has anyone used these discounts?

Yeah, on an HP dv2000t last holiday. Returned the notebook (no problems, just wasn't getting used), but the discount was around 10% or so, iirc.

While the major manufacturers do give student discounts, you can sometimes get better deals outside of the programs offered by the schools. ... For software, generally the best deal is through your school where you can get massive discounts like Office 2007 Enterprise for less than $100 (less than the student/home edition at a regular store).

^^ Dell is known for this. With a good coupon or so, you can get a hell of a configured notebook for a pretty respectable price tag.

With the software, I snagged a copy of Office 2007 Professional through the PowerTogether offer if anyone remembers that, but school bookstores sometimes have some awesome software deals.

Also consider alternatives (Open Office for MS Office, etc) if you're an open source proponent / don't want to spend the money / don't want to pirate the software.

Dell is known for this. With a good coupon or so, you can get a hell of a configured notebook for a pretty respectable price tag.

Agreed, I have never built a computer where I didn't get AT LEAST $500 off, usually more. However, Dell will pretty much give anyone up to $500 off if you do a good job of talking to their sales people... Just have a good reason why you need 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB as well as why you don't have the money and this other brand name is cheaper but you want a Dell.... good times :)

Dell is so easy to get money from. It is really easy to get hard drive upgrades after you purchase your computer too.

Agreed, I have never built a computer where I didn't get AT LEAST $500 off, usually more. However, Dell will pretty much give anyone up to $500 off if you do a good job of talking to their sales people... Just have a good reason why you need 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB as well as why you don't have the money and this other brand name is cheaper but you want a Dell.... good times :)

Dell is so easy to get money from. It is really easy to get hard drive upgrades after you purchase your computer too.

Case in point: I called up Dell after receiving my refurbished laptop. I had a problem in that some of the extra software that was supposed to be included wasn't in the box. I didn't demand anything other than the software, and they insisted upon crediting my account $100 because I had some trouble. Dell :thumbup:

P.S. They also sent me the software too.

Case in point: I called up Dell after receiving my refurbished laptop. I had a problem in that some of the extra software that was supposed to be included wasn't in the box. I didn't demand anything other than the software, and they insisted upon crediting my account $100 because I had some trouble. Dell :thumbup:

P.S. They also sent me the software too.

:thumbup:My sound card manufacturer didn't have good Vista drivers yet for my sound card - they're coming out late. For my troubles, Dell gave me $100 too, plus sent me a brand new computer with a hard drive up grade (320 GB to 1 TB) and an $300 video card upgrade for my troubles. Plus, they put a different, better sound card in it.:thumbup:

Stories like those are why, if I do decide to pick up a notebook (and actually keep it this time around), I'll be going with Dell. It's just not worth it for me to build a laptop like I do with my desktop systems.

The new XPS M1330 is looking pretty sexy...

Stories like those are why, if I do decide to pick up a notebook (and actually keep it this time around), I'll be going with Dell. It's just not worth it for me to build a laptop like I do with my desktop systems.

The new XPS M1330 is looking pretty sexy...

Holy crap you aren't kidding! i bought the XPS M1210 (12") in February and I'm totally in love with it, but I am selling it to buy that :) :) :) The only downfall is because it is so slim, I cannot get my 256 MB graphics card like I have in my M1210...

Holy crap you aren't kidding! i bought the XPS M1210 (12") in February and I'm totally in love with it, but I am selling it to buy that :) :) :) The only downfall is because it is so slim, I cannot get my 256 MB graphics card like I have in my M1210...

I'm actually on my XPS M1210 right now and I love it! I got it refurbished from Dell, and it's the best laptop I've ever had so far. Though, I won't be trading it in anytime soon because we can only add the cost of our laptops to our student loan (at least at our school) one time during our 4 years. :(

I'm actually on my XPS M1210 right now and I love it! I got it refurbished from Dell, and it's the best laptop I've ever had so far. Though, I won't be trading it in anytime soon because we can only add the cost of our laptops to our student loan (at least at our school) one time during our 4 years. :(

Ah well it is a great computer nontheless and I bet when you graduate there will be something available to purchase that will put the 1330 to shame :)