jmcgintee

OSU c/o 2014!!!!
Dec 10, 2009
Columbus, OH
Status
Veterinary Student
For those of you in veterinary school...do they offer discounts on vet bills? Just curious :)

dyachei

vet robot pirate zombie
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
Yes, there is a discount in some vet schools. At UTK, I believe it is 20% off medications and diagnostics. boarding is also free unless its over a holiday where it was pretty cheap.

critterfixer

Veterinarian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2007
Tennessee
Status
Veterinarian
Yes, there is a discount in some vet schools. At UTK, I believe it is 20% off medications and diagnostics. boarding is also free unless its over a holiday where it was pretty cheap.
Boarding is no longer free, but is subject to the discount. We can take the discount on three animals.

jjohnston

10+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2008
Providence, RI
Status
Veterinarian
Here at Davis we get 80% off of everything except for blood work and the pharmacy, and exam fees are completely waived (I believe, someone correct me if I'm wrong). The discount is applied up to $1400 a year, past that it's regular price.

kayakman28

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
Here at ISU, after much discussion, the hospital is offering a discount for students! I'm not sure exactly on the percentage (I don't have any pets out here with me), but there is at least some discount for us now.

cuitlamiztli

onward and upward
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
Here at ISU, after much discussion, the hospital is offering a discount for students! I'm not sure exactly on the percentage (I don't have any pets out here with me), but there is at least some discount for us now.
We get 15% off - 10% for being ISU students and 5% for being current veterinary students.

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
NCSU = 20% across the board. and a fairly cheap (don't remember the numbers) wellness exam/vax clinic as well for cats/dogs. No boarding. boarding would be a really nice perk! but it isn't too hard/expensive to find students to pet sit.

karmapple

OSU CVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2007
Columbus, OH
Status
Veterinary Student
Since I believe you are soon to be attending vet school at Ohio State, you probably want to know about the discount here. It is no exam fee, plus 20% off everything else. Although in my personal experience with my own dog, when it comes to more expensive things, they will sometimes get a little "creative" with the charges in an attempt to save the broke vet students some money!

Apr 22, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
We get 30% off for our bills in general. PE's and emerg fees are also waived. We also have Pfizer give us free Rev every year. It's pretty sweet for the most part!

1Vista1Grey

OkSU-CVHS Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Townsend, Ma
Status
Veterinary Student
Okstate, we get 1 free exam per pet per year (not sure if there is a limit). 20% off services/meds. Free interceptor/advantage multi. Joining AHHA gets you 1 yr supply of frontline for two pets each year. Got a two year supply of advantix as well. Deramax gives you 1 free product a month. Seems like once a semester they have a free microchip lab. In my Immuno lab you can FeLv test your own cat when we cover that in lecture. Food: free 20 lb bag dogs food or 10 lbs of cat food per month, any more you might need its discounted to just a few dollars. Purina gives you a free 33 lbs dog food or a large bag of cat food mailed to your house each month.

laurafinn

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Oakland-ish
Status
Veterinarian
Consults are free, everything else is 10% off.

We don't get any products free from pet food or flea control companies though. I wish we did: high-quality dog food is US$70+ per 15 kg bag.

Tricolorbadness

C/O 2014
Feb 21, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
We get 15% off - 10% for being ISU students and 5% for being current veterinary students.
Excellent news! I've got a couple of pups (ahem...4) to take care of and I have recently found out one of them is in need of long term meds. I'm committed to her care and will be able to use all the help I can get!! :)

DVMorBust

UW SVM Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2007
WI
Status
Veterinary Student
We don't get any discounts at the teaching hospital, but there are quite a few clinics in the area that give a 20% discount to veterinary students. You just have to remember to tell them!