Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

discouraging news from UoP and UCSF

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Tikamutt, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Tikamutt

Tikamutt Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I was hoping to get the board's thoughts on my situation.

I called the admissions departments at UoP and UCSF today (the only schools I'm applying to - - b/c I'm stuck in the Bay Area) and learned that I have a slim chance of getting in - because of how late I applied.

I took the DAT on 9/27, sent my primary application to AADSAS early September. AADSAS sent my applications to UoP and UCSF early November. I have not yet sent my secondary application to UCSF (but hope to do so this week; I expect my secondary application to be complete by the first week of January). UoP, which does not require a secondary, is in the process of reviewing my application, and say the process will take 4-8 weeks.

UoP said they fill their "primary" interview slots in October. So, the only interview slots left are for "alternate" or wait list seats. I expect to hear from UoP whether i get one of these interviews by February.

UCSF said basically the same.

My basics:
    DAT: AA 22; TS 22; PAT 19
    GPA: 3.4 cum; 3.6 science
    BS in Civil Engineering
    California resident

So here are my questions:
    Is what the admissions departments said basically accurate? Is there any chance at all that I'll get a "primary" spot interview - or will I be lucky to get an "alternate" spot interview? Basically, i'm wondering whether I'll have to wait another year.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. food4thots

food4thots Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i hate to burst ur bubble, but i think wat uop is telling ur is pretty accurate. i don't see why they would make that up.

4. greenday

greenday Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Your stats are wonderful, and if you applied earlier, you would be a very competitive applicant. However, at this stage of the game, you are a bit late, especially for UOP, whose class is expected to be filled instantly. As for UCSF, you might have a small chance since you are instate, but no one can tell for sure since many other people with similar stats as you wasn't lucky enough to gain an interview from them.
    My advice, if you really wanna stay at Bay area, be prepared to be applying early again next year. On the other hand, if you see yourself settle with an OK school, apply asap to Boston, NYU, UNLV and Howard.

5. luder98

luder98 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's late for UOP, but you still have chances for an alternate spot. For UCSF, don't stress too much. You'll get some love from them. It's not late yet. They will only offer about 50% of acceptances on December 1st. Relax and enjoy your holiday : ) Good Luck.