Discrimination against counseling psychology??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuropsych2be

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Qualifications:
Education.
Shall have a Doctorate in clinical psychology from an American Psychological Association (APA) accredited program and must have completed an APA approved clinical psychology internship. (This means that no one with a degree from an Education Department in any college or university qualifies since APA will not approve an Educational Psychology clinical program because only candidates with APA approved clinical programs can be accepted into APA approved internship sites.) A candidate with a PhD in counseling psychology might be qualified if their degree is from a psychology department."

Whoa!! I saw this job ad and this kinda blew my socks off. Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I am not even sure what they are trying to say? Obviously, ph.d programs in counseling psychology can be housed in a college of education and still receive APA accreditation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would encourage you to inform the employer of their mistake.

This seems pretty clearly written by someone in HR with limited knowledge of how the field works. I don't know the setting but I'm wondering if maybe they got confused regarding school psych versus counseling psych in an ed department (where - if memory serves - many will go for NASP and there isn't necessarily a need for APA depending on one's path?). Just a guess, I really have no idea what it might mean.

Speaking as a counseling psychologist in training (who attends an APA accredited program) I wouldn't want to work for whoever posted this ad anyway ... If it was posted by an HR person, this doesn't reflect very well on the organization. I don't think contacting the employer would help because they probably think they know what they're doing. The way it seems to me is that they think if you get your PhD from a School of Ed that the degree is an educational psychology degree, which is just plain wrong.

I googled the ad and found it listed in several places ...

Weird. Got curious and followed empathiosis's lead (googled). This looks like a military base position for a licensed clinical psychologist (therefore subject to any military regulations regarding training). To me the weird part is that it's showing up on a staffing consulting company site - as far as I know, the military/govt does not use private staffing consultants to fill positions. Seems possible that the "staffing company" might be the type who scrape ads from other sources to make the site seem more impressive than it is, and then of course there are all those aggregator sites who scrape ads from sources like the staffing company, and so on.

All this to say, I agree with the above that someone at some level is clueless, but I think the cluelessness happened downstream from the original ad. Of course, I could be wrong :).

By the way, I have no way of knowing if this is actually the original ad, but it seems close: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/356195200

Neuropsych2be, where did you see the ad?