• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Discrimination Against People w/ Low MCAT Scores

Chase

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2008
    I don't think it's fair that people with low MCAT scores are looked at as being less 'qualified' for entry to medical school. I mean, I might have a learning disability or something that prevents me from scoring highly. That's discrimination, isn't it?

kedrin

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Jan 24, 2008
    1. Medical Student
      I don't think it's fair that people with low MCAT scores are looked at as being less 'qualified' for entry to medical school. I mean, I might have a learning disability or something that prevents me from scoring highly. That's discrimination, isn't it?

a learning disability sure seems like an excellent reason to not let someone into medical school....

so yes this would be the type of thing that is legally discriminated against?

MCAT score correlates to step 1 scores in some way and shows you can take standardized exams. It does not matter because whether you like it or not the standardized exams matter.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
      10+ Year Member
      Mar 13, 2008
      La Jolla
      1. Medical Student
        Maybe if you made an argument that people who get lower scores could be becuase they are poor and couldn't afford prep classes then I can somewhat agree with you. But as it stands...

no

If you have a learning disability and you prove that you can't cut it in the academic area, then you aren't fit for that field. It's just like how not everyone can be top tier athletes and not everyone can be rocket scientists.

or not everyone can be cool like the fonzie, you got to have what it takes.

*Edit*

Or even, what if I have a problem with following rules, isn't enforcing the law on my actions discrimmination?

About the Ads

nu2004

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Mar 7, 2008
        Los Angecagoveland
        1. Medical Student

most of the time, people misuse the term "trolling" around here.

but you're trolling. if i were a mod i'd give you a nice 24-hour ban to think about the value of threads like this.

besides, people with low MCATs get into med schools every cycle.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
          10+ Year Member
          Mar 13, 2008
          La Jolla
          1. Medical Student
            most of the time, people misuse the term "trolling" around here.

but you're trolling. if i were a mod i'd give you a nice 24-hour ban to think about the value of threads like this.

besides, people with low MCATs get into med schools every cycle.

24 hours? the only way to kill a troll is to use fire or acid on its body after you knock it unconscious.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
            10+ Year Member
            Dec 10, 2007
            Never-Never-Land
            1. Medical Student
              I assume you're trolling, but just in case you're not, the answer is NO.

It is okay for professional football teams to "discriminate" against quadripalegics, and it is okay for medical schools to "discriminate" against those who don't make academic cut-offs. Why? Because it keeps them from fulfilling their job.

Most careers, whether they be modeling, acting, engineering, teaching, or anything else discriminate against those who cannot do the job.

Medicine does not require a super-genius, but it does require a certain amount of intellect. And for those not as heavily blessed with intelligence, it requires an even greater amount of effort and dedication.

If you fail to exhibit your adequate intelligence on the MCAT, or you fail to show the necessary dedication and effort to make up for a lower intelligence in your score, they have every right to turn you down.

I wouldn't want a blind marksman, and I don't want a doctor who didn't have the mental aptitude to learn what he needed to. End of story.

nu2004

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Mar 7, 2008
              Los Angecagoveland
              1. Medical Student
                I assume you're trolling, but just in case you're not, the answer is NO.

It is okay for professional football teams to "discriminate" against quadripalegics, and it is okay for medical schools to "discriminate" against those who don't make academic cut-offs. Why? Because it keeps them from fulfilling their job.

Most careers, whether they be modeling, acting, engineering, teaching, or anything else discriminate against those who cannot do the job.

Medicine does not require a super-genius, but it does require a certain amount of intellect. And for those not as heavily blessed with intelligence, it requires an even greater amount of effort and dedication.

If you fail to exhibit your adequate intelligence on the MCAT, or you fail to show the necessary dedication and effort to make up for a lower intelligence in your score, they have every right to turn you down.

I wouldn't want a blind marksman, and I don't want a doctor who didn't have the mental aptitude to learn what he needed to. End of story.

yes, but is it okay for Hooters to discriminate against fat chicks? or dudes?

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
                10+ Year Member
                Dec 10, 2007
                Never-Never-Land
                1. Medical Student
                  yes, but is it okay for Hooters to discriminate against fat chicks? or dudes?

In my opinion, yes. Why? Because a Hooter's waitress is not a waitress. She's a pair of boobs and a nice butt on a stick frame designed for men to ogle while they get drunk and drop silverware so she can bend over to pick them up. (Disclaimer: I do LOVE Hooter's wings, though.)

Personally, I think they should be hired as "models who serve" (Ocean's Thirteen reference...). Now, if they are going to say they are just "servers," than I can't blame someone for slapping them with a lawsuit. But I think anyone who actually believes they atre just servers is fooling themselves.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
                  10+ Year Member
                  Mar 13, 2008
                  La Jolla
                  1. Medical Student
                    In my opinion, yes. Why? Because a Hooter's waitress is not a waitress. She's a pair of boobs and a nice butt on a stick frame designed for men to ogle while they get drunk and drop silverware so she can bend over to pick them up. (Disclaimer: I do LOVE Hooter's wings, though.)

Personally, I think they should be hired as "models who serve" (Ocean's Thirteen reference...). Now, if they are going to say they are just "servers," than I can't blame someone for slapping them with a lawsuit. But I think anyone who actually believes they atre just servers is fooling themselves.

hey hey now... Hooter is a family restaurant!!

the kids and grandpa can drop silverware too if they want.

LibationBearer

10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Feb 13, 2008

They've got testing modifications for LD people, just go out there and get yourself a diagnosis.

Hurricane95

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Jun 18, 2005
                      Miami, FL
                      1. Resident [Any Field]

If you have a LEGIT (documented and diagnosed) learning disability, then that's something you can address in your personal statement and back up with proper paperwork. I know a couple of students (not at my school) who have untimed testing. Kind of makes me wonder how they will keep up with rotations though...the team probably won't wait up for him to think through the differential diagnosis list for three hours before making a decision. Also I would think these people DON'T have a career in emergency medicine in their future...or most surgical fields...or a practice with a very high volume of patients :laugh:

Not everyone who scores low on the mcat is learning disabled though...some people just score low. In that case, it's ok to discriminate. I mean, we can't let EVERYONE in.

About the Ads
                        N

nonesuchgirl

uh.

ok.

pancake-bunny.JPG

Doublecortin

10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Jan 21, 2007
                          1. Podiatry Student
                            is that gonna your excuse to the family of a patient that died on your watch that you could have saved but didn't due to your "learning disability"?

Doublecortin

10+ Year Member
                            5+ Year Member
                            Jan 21, 2007
                            1. Podiatry Student
                              a learning disability sure seems like an excellent reason to not let someone into medical school....

so yes this would be the type of thing that is legally discriminated against?

MCAT score correlates to step 1 scores in some way and shows you can take standardized exams. It does not matter because whether you like it or not the standardized exams matter.
                              :thumbup:

The last thing this country needs is special needs physicians

whoisthedrizzle

10+ Year Member
                              Feb 5, 2007
                              spanking nerds with moonrocks
                              1. Medical Student

you just about had me typing out a sarcastic response.

not bad for a troll.

6/10.

lol @ people taking you seriously.

About the Ads

Wylde

10+ Year Member
                                Sep 24, 2007
                                1. Pre-Medical

-I don't think it's fair that people with low GPA scores are looked at as being less 'qualified' for entry to medical school. I mean, I might have a learning disability or something that prevents me from scoring highly. That's discrimination, isn't it?

-I don't think it's fair that people without ECs are looked at as being less 'qualified' for entry to medical school. I mean, I might have a learning disability or something that prevents me from contributing to society. That's discrimination, isn't it?

I agree with you buddy, adcoms (for any school/degree/program) shouldn't really base their decisions on merit of any kind. Just pull names out of a hat imo!!! I mean, it's not my fault that I have a 2.89 gpa, I think I'm just as qualified as MITJohn who has a 4.0.

PS: You bring up an interesting point, I agree that anyone with a learning disability should be allowed exceptions into medical school. I know I wouldn't want anyone more competent than me removing a tumor from my brain.

/sarcasm off

Chase

10+ Year Member
                                  Feb 14, 2008
                                    -I don't think it's fair that people with low GPA scores are looked at as being less 'qualified' for entry to medical school. I mean, I might have a learning disability or something that prevents me from scoring highly. That's discrimination, isn't it?

-I don't think it's fair that people without ECs are looked at as being less 'qualified' for entry to medical school. I mean, I might have a learning disability or something that prevents me from contributing to society. That's discrimination, isn't it?

I agree with you buddy, adcoms (for any school/degree/program) shouldn't really base their decisions on merit of any kind. Just pull names out of a hat imo!!! I mean, it's not my fault that I have a 2.89 gpa, I think I'm just as qualified as MITJohn who has a 4.0.

PS: You bring up an interesting point, I agree that anyone with a learning disability should be allowed exceptions into medical school. I know I wouldn't want anyone more competent than me removing a tumor from my brain.

/sarcasm off

don't tase me bro !!

About the Ads

Chase

10+ Year Member
                                    Feb 14, 2008
                                      From another thread (Chase commenting on Instatewaiter):

Either the OP (Chase) is really stupid or he is a troll... most likely both.

No, I'm not a troll. I don't understand why nobody else saw the stupidity of that comment: "50% will be in the bottom half of the class." ??
                                      No kidding 50% will be in the bottom half of the class!!! My response "please explain" was totally tongue in cheek.

taponthecloud

10+ Year Member
                                      5+ Year Member
                                      Nov 16, 2007
                                      New England
                                      1. Medical Student

This is one form of discrimination that I'm fully in favor of. It's good stuff.

greg1184

10+ Year Member
                                        Dec 9, 2006
                                        1. Resident [Any Field]
                                          Here is a simple rule of thumb:

MCAT = Medical Colleges Admissions Test.

Obviously, medical schools are going to use it when they determine admissions. :laugh:

What's next? Discrimination based on GPA?

RapplixGmed

Looking for the Ether
                                          10+ Year Member
                                          Nov 27, 2007
                                          1. Medical Student
                                            I actually saw a hilarious response from an admissions person once.

A person asked if the school makes any concessions for people who didn't score well on the MCATs because they are not good standardized test takers.

The admissions person responded that people who are not good standardized test takers will not become doctors because they have to deal with the licensing exams. Thus, their school would not be willing to take on the risk to accept these people except when they have other very good things going for them.

HumidBeing

In Memory of Riley Jane
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            10+ Year Member
                                            Jun 19, 2007
                                            Keeping Warm
                                              Chase, I don't understand why you would ask this question in a serious tone if you just got your part 2 scores back in dental school and don't want them changing the format to p/f, since they are currently used for purposes of admission to specialty programs. It doesn't make sense to believe that dental programs should use a scoring criteria, but not medical schools.

Chase

10+ Year Member
                                              Feb 14, 2008
                                                Chase, I don't understand why you would ask this question in a serious tone if you just got your part 2 scores back in dental school and don't want them changing the format to p/f, since they are currently used for purposes of admission to specialty programs. It doesn't make sense to believe that dental programs should use a scoring criteria, but not medical schools.
                                                Gaining entry to professional schools is one thing. Getting a quantitative evaluation of the skills YOU NEED TO BE A COMPETENT PRACTICIONER is another.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
                                                Aug 23, 2007
                                                1. Attending Physician
                                                  I would agree with this sentiment because there are a few friends who were waitlisted at a few schools and that the reason they were was due to a low overall MCAT score or a low score in one section. I am not sure if all schools do this, but some schools value the BS score more than the other scores. In one specific instance at a midwestern school, one of my friends was waitlisted because he got an 8 on the BS the second time. Otherwise, everything else including the interview was fine. Plus, studies have shown that there is a correlation with the board exams. So, unless someone finds a better assessment of us that will show all our qualities as great candidates for med school, the MCAT is the way to go.

Dazedinvt

10+ Year Member
                                                  5+ Year Member
                                                  Feb 15, 2008
                                                  1. Medical Student
                                                    the bunny pictures are so great. I think the pancake pic is more absurd than the interspecies porn. I mean would a bunny eat a pancake? would he enjoy it with syrup? so many questions. the turtle seems a bit gratuitous and a little self indulgent.

oh and chase is a douche.

About the Ads
                                                    This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                                                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                                                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                                                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                                                    7. This thread is locked.