Discuss poor grades and upward trend in secondaries?

Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
Hello! As I am working on some application things, I was wondering if I should mention the above in secondaries that ask “Is there anything else you would like the adcom to know?”. I had around 3.1-3.4 gpa freshman and sophomore yr with a C- in an orgo class but went up to 3.7-4.0 these last two years also retaking that C- -> A. I was wondering if I should be honest and mention why I did poorly and how I improved with my upward trend, also doing better on chem section of MCAT. Or if I should just not bring up anything to highlight my poorer grades, and have my application speak for itself. Thank you!!

D

deleted889094

Unless it gives you a space to specifically talk about something like that, I probably wouldn't. Your progress says a lot as is.

Reactions: 2 users

DameJulie

2+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I would mention it if you have space. One app reader might read your grades only and skip the essays; while another one might read the essays first and stop there. I would mention it in case it gets overlooked the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
the problem with explaining things like this is that it can easily paint you in a bad light, - first of all, it focuses on the negatives. Secondly, it is easy to accidently sound like you are making excuses and it can be dangerous.
Because of this, unless you have a REALLY good reason (and "i was an idiot, but i learnt from mistakes, and got better" is not a good reason). When i say a good reason, i mean like, "i had cancer, and chemo was tough, but this is what i learnt from it, and it gave me insight, and this is why i wanted to be a doctor even more". Or, something like that. I mean the reason has to be unusual, unique, and you need to sound like you are taking FULL responsibility for what happened.

Reactions: 5 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Hello! As I am working on some application things, I was wondering if I should mention the above in secondaries that ask “Is there anything else you would like the adcom to know?”. I had around 3.1-3.4 gpa freshman and sophomore yr with a C- in an orgo class but went up to 3.7-4.0 these last two years also retaking that C- -> A. I was wondering if I should be honest and mention why I did poorly and how I improved with my upward trend, also doing better on chem section of MCAT. Or if I should just not bring up anything to highlight my poorer grades, and have my application speak for itself. Thank you!!
People can see that from looking at your transcripts.

Never bring attention to a negative.

Save explanations for interviews.

Reactions: 10 users

Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
the problem with explaining things like this is that it can easily paint you in a bad light, - first of all, it focuses on the negatives. Secondly, it is easy to accidently sound like you are making excuses and it can be dangerous.
Because of this, unless you have a REALLY good reason (and "i was an idiot, but i learnt from mistakes, and got better" is not a good reason). When i say a good reason, i mean like, "i had cancer, and chemo was tough, but this is what i learnt from it, and it gave me insight, and this is why i wanted to be a doctor even more". Or, something like that. I mean the reason has to be unusual, unique, and you need to sound like you are taking FULL responsibility for what happened.
Thank you! I may not mention it then, as there was no truly extenuating circumstances such as that.

Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
@Goro @M&L Looking at the disadvantaged essay, I would say my financial situation definitely contributed to my lower grades freshman & sophomore year as I was constantly looking for work and then working (won't go into details right now), but I improved my time management later and was able to retain my grades while also working. Is it okay to mention this in the disadvantaged essay? I am not looking for sympathy or excuses, but just wanted to state in a matter of fact way.

M&L

Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
@Goro @M&L Looking at the disadvantaged essay, I would say my financial situation definitely contributed to my lower grades freshman & sophomore year as I was constantly looking for work and then working (won't go into details right now), but I improved my time management later and was able to retain my grades while also working. Is it okay to mention this in the disadvantaged essay? I am not looking for sympathy or excuses, but just wanted to state in a matter of fact way.
i think its fine to mention it, but make sure it sounds more like "a growth moment because i learnt how to multitask and i will be a better doctor because of it" vs "poor me my life suck because i had to work" (i am trying to be harsh on purpose to contrast the difference, to make it really obvious). the more positive and self-aware you sound the better. Think internal locus of control vs external. does it make sense?

Reactions: 1 users

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
The disadvantaged essays is for event prior to going to college.

Reactions: 1 users

Spongeman7

2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2018
i think its fine to mention it, but make sure it sounds more like "a growth moment because i learnt how to multitask and i will be a better doctor because of it" vs "poor me my life suck because i had to work" (i am trying to be harsh on purpose to contrast the difference, to make it really obvious). the more positive and self-aware you sound the better. Think internal locus of control vs external. does it make sense?
Yes! The last thing I want to do is elicit pity points for some reason. It makes sense to concentrate on the positive and how it changed you for the better, thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads