Discussing Chronic Illness and Applying to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bored_Conscious

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So, I am applying to medical school Spring 2021 for EY 2022. I have jumped back and forth regarding this question for a long time and would like to ask the SDN community.

Jumping right in, I have IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease) and was diagnosed junior year of high school. I am now a senior in college and it has never really bothered me too much. I am lucky and grateful to have had an awesome physician who put me on a biologic that has put me into remission.

So, how is having a chronic illness viewed in medical school? I am a Texas Resident and was browsing McGovern's Website and found that McGovern specifically states: "Chronic Conditions — A candidate must not possess any chronic or recurrent illnesses, including infectious, psychiatric, or substance abuse problems that can interfere with patient care or safety and are not compatible with medical practice or training." (Criteria & Requirements - Office of Admissions). This got me a bit concerned with speaking about IBD in my personal statement as it played a major contributing factor in regards to why I want to get into the medical field.

For those who have chronic conditions and have applied or will apply, how do you plan on going about discussing your illness if at all? In addition, adcoms, have you read personal statements where the applicant has discussed their illness? Would you generally recommend against writing about chronic conditions?

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!

So, I am applying to medical school Spring 2021 for EY 2022. I have jumped back and forth regarding this question for a long time and would like to ask the SDN community.

Jumping right in, I have IBD (Irritable Bowel Disease) and was diagnosed junior year of high school. I am now a senior in college and it has never really bothered me too much. I am lucky and grateful to have had an awesome physician who put me on a biologic that has put me into remission.

So, how is having a chronic illness viewed in medical school? I am a Texas Resident and was browsing McGovern's Website and found that McGovern specifically states: "Chronic Conditions — A candidate must not possess any chronic or recurrent illnesses, including infectious, psychiatric, or substance abuse problems that can interfere with patient care or safety and are not compatible with medical practice or training." (Criteria & Requirements - Office of Admissions). This got me a bit concerned with speaking about IBD in my personal statement as it played a major contributing factor in regards to why I want to get into the medical field.

For those who have chronic conditions and have applied or will apply, how do you plan on going about discussing your illness if at all? In addition, adcoms, have you read personal statements where the applicant has discussed their illness? Would you generally recommend against writing about chronic conditions?
You are 1,000,000% overthinking this. That McGovern statement is referring to things like highly infectious diseases, bipolar disorder, drug addiction or alcoholism, or other things, like they say, that would interfere with your ability to practice medicine. It isn't referring to IBD, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.. No reason to say anything unless you think it helps your application. If and when you later need an accommodation in school, that's the time to bring it up.

Reactions: 3 users
I've had students with hearing loss, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, asthma and a gait disorder. They're doctors today.

Tons of people apply with chronic conditions. It's a major motivation as to why they want to go into medicine. As long as your I BS won't affect your ability to be a doctor, you will be fine.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've had students with hearing loss, Crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, asthma and a gait disorder. They're doctors today.

Tons of people apply with chronic conditions. It's a major motivation as to why they want to go into medicine. As long as your I BS won't affect your ability to be a doctor, you will be fine.

Okay, sounds good.

Based on McGovern's statement, would you say that my chronic condition would make me a liability in their eyes? McGovern is one of my top choices and I don't want them to believe I am not capable just because I don't qualify for their "technical standards"? Should I just get in touch with McGovern?

Hello everyone!

Do you have IBD or IBS?

Okay, sounds good.

Based on McGovern's statement, would you say that my chronic condition would make me a liability in their eyes? McGovern is one of my top choices and I don't want them to believe I am not capable just because I don't qualify for their "technical standards"?
No, not at all. You're reading too much into their standards.

Based on McGovern's statement, would you say that my chronic condition would make me a liability in their eyes? McGovern is one of my top choices and I don't want them to believe I am not capable just because I don't qualify for their "technical standards"? Should I just get in touch with McGovern?
Would your condition interfere with patient care or safety? Is it not compatible with medical practice or training?

Reactions: 1 users
Would your condition interfere with patient care or safety? Is it not compatible with medical practice or training?

No, it would not. It never interfered with my education since I was diagnosed until senior year of college. So, I assume I am fine. Appreciate the response.

You are 1,000,000% overthinking this. That McGovern statement is referring to things like highly infectious diseases, bipolar disorder, drug addiction or alcoholism, or other things, like they say, that would interfere with your ability to practice medicine. It isn't referring to IBD, heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.. No reason to say anything unless you think it helps your application. If and when you later need an accommodation in school, that's the time to bring it up.

Gotcha! Seems like I was overthinking it a bit too much. Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: 1 users
I had classmates with IBD (Crohns and UC), IBS, seizure disorder, depression/anxiety (I think we all end up with one by the end of med school/training...), etc. I’ve met paraplegic, quadriplegic, and legally blind residents. I’m pretty sure we had a couple students with bipolar disorder (managed). Doubt schizophrenia, but I’m sure there are docs with it out there-maybe it presented late or was just “minor” or well managed.

Obviously you might avoid certain specialties based on your illness-long surgical cases aren’t great if you have IBD and need to run to the restroom often, whereas it won’t really get in the way if you wanted to do outpatient psych.

Do you have IBD or IBS?

I should clarify why I am asking. I happen to have a friend with ulcerative colitis (IBD) and a friend with Crohn’s who both went to medical school and are in residency. I have a friend with IBS who went through an MD/PhD and is a resident. Neither matter, but talking about irritable bowel syndrome and calling it IBD might not come off well, particularly because UC/Crohn’s patients experience an autoimmune disease that can result in surgical emergencies and removal of their colon/small bowel in severe flares, which are not risks for someone with IBS.
Conditions that do not qualify as a chronic medical condition, as it is colloquially defined among physicians, includes IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic lyme disease, seasonal allergies, and major depression without debilitating (suicidal, homicidal or psychotic) features. These are all chronic conditions that make people suffer, but do not disable you as a doctor and do not usually require extended admissions or life changing procedures to your body. I am not saying IBS is not a chronic condition, I am just saying that you have to weigh whether disclosing something is truly necessary.

I should clarify why I am asking. I happen to have a friend with ulcerative colitis (IBD) and a friend with Crohn’s who both went to medical school and are in residency. I have a friend with IBS who went through an MD/PhD and is a resident. Neither matter, but talking about irritable bowel syndrome and calling it IBD might not come off well, particularly because UC/Crohn’s patients experience an autoimmune disease that can result in surgical emergencies and removal of their colon/small bowel in severe flares, which are not risks for someone with IBS.
Conditions that do not qualify as a chronic medical condition, as it is colloquially defined among physicians, includes IBS, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic lyme disease, seasonal allergies, and major depression without debilitating (suicidal, homicidal or psychotic) features. These are all chronic conditions that make people suffer, but do not disable you as a doctor and do not usually require extended admissions or life changing procedures to your body. I am not saying IBS is not a chronic condition, I am just saying that you have to weigh whether disclosing something is truly necessary.

I saw your post - question answered.
Having inflammatory bowel disease (not irritable) is something you live with and schools should know about how this helps you gain empathy towards patients and their conditions. It has probably influenced your decision because you have had prolonged contact with physicians and care teams. Any school that, in 2020, does not see that, is not worth your time.

I saw your post - question answered.
Having inflammatory bowel disease (not irritable) is something you live with and schools should know about how this helps you gain empathy towards patients and their conditions. It has probably influenced your decision because you have had prolonged contact with physicians and care teams. Any school that, in 2020, does not see that, is not worth your time.

Yes, for sure. I would not want to be part of a community that believes that I am not capable of being a physician due to my condition. Appreciate your perspective.

IBD stands for inflammatory bowel disease. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is not even really real.

Having IBD should not make anyone think twice about your potential to be a physician. Frankly I would be far more worried about an applicant who talked about IBS than IBD.

IBD stands for inflammatory bowel disease. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is not even really real.

Having IBD should not make anyone think twice about your potential to be a physician. Frankly I would be far more worried about an applicant who talked about IBS than IBD.

Interesting take. I've heard plenty of docs/people say IBS is due to psych issues, but I've never actually heard any say it's not real.

Reactions: 3 users