Discussion on the coming end of private pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a discussion on the coming end of the private practice of Pathology.

Do elements of the Accountable Care Account such as the Medicare Outpatient Prospective Payment System and the end of the influence of physicians via the RUC recommendation panel due to the Correct Coding Initiative make people rethink how government pricing power in health care?

We've come to see big insurance as the "enemy" in physician practices, but was this misguided? Is CMS the actual source of our most pressing problems?

Has the looming end of "private" Pathology and the likely massive pay cuts to Pathology "the commodity" influenced any physicians' political thoughts?

Given this calamity, who is most to blame within our profession? The CAP? Individual members?

Also, how do you most private groups with capital expenses they will never recover etc plan to negotiate their slavery...err...employment models?

Given most hospitals wont pay for call, how do you think this will affect the lifestyle of the profession?

Once you are employed, on a new far lower salary, what strategies might you employ to dump difficult cases onto local area academic centers? Sending all breast biopsies out? Automatically fast tracking all derm cases? Or ?

Members don't see this ad.

Isn't this entire board a "discussion on the coming end of the private practice of Pathology".

Just sayin'.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We are modeling ourselves off the protagonsists in Walking Dead. We will go leaner and leaner and hold out as long as we can. But I admit, there is no rational hope.

I blame all the above. If I were in charge, residents would not be subsidized and groups could train new doctors as they see fit for replacement in a much more effective apprenticeship. The CAP, ABP are filled with a bunch of academics who have no idea how the market works in a non subsidized environment. The Feds are intent on destroying the individual and the entrepreneur and promoting collectivism/soviet style. The citizenry has minimal economic/financial/scientific literacy and elect whoever can make the most grandiose false promises. The media is gerrymandered to the leftist NE and also shows minimal competence/intelligence. We are screwed. It was the best run a constitutional republic has had to date in this world.

Just find a new career LADoc. Hell I been planning my escape for long time and it feels good knowing I dont have to rely on pathology anymore to still be well off. I feel bad for anyone entering pathology nowadays. It's going to be a miserable existence for many.

Never cared too much about going into private practice, myself . . . regardless of whether or not it is a viable career pathway in the future.

Never cared too much about going into private practice, myself . . . regardless of whether or not it is a viable career pathway in the future.

Love to see residents feel that they are "immune" from any politics. That's the funny thing, you see. Academics will not be insulated by this either. Your salaries will drop accordingly.

Love to see residents feel that they are "immune" from any politics. That's the funny thing, you see. Academics will not be insulated by this either. Your salaries will drop accordingly.
I don't think I'm immune.

The vast majority of pathology jobs are "private practice", in that they are private labs, corporate labs, small hospital practices, etc. I would wager the minority are in true academic pathology.