Discussion with AACOM admin about FAP... Also a Warning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awesome Sauceome

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have had a nice discussion with a lovely administrator for AACOM about the FAP. I will post the emails (omitting some stuff):

I went through the contact link on their page and had asked about the situation of having been dependent last year, but independent this year, and having been out of school last year so I dont have a SAR. So basically I was confused what to do when filing for the FAP. What she responded with was gold and I have yet to find much of this information on SDN so far.

Admin
"This message is in response to your question regarding fee waiver documents. Although we understand that your financial situation may have changed within the last year, AACOMAS must require the same documents from all applicants in order to ensure consistency. In your case, because you do not have a FAFSA, we will need your 2012 tax returns (and the tax returns of anyone who claimed you as a dependent). However, please be advised that at this time there are no fee waivers remaining for this application cycle. Fee waivers are granted on a first-come first-serve basis. It is up to your discretion to decide if you would like to submit your application with the required fee. If you decide to wait until the 2015 cycle and apply for a fee waiver, we will need your 2013 tax returns."

My respone
"Thank you so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. I will be applying during the next cycle, the one starting in June 2014. So are you saying that the funds for this cycle coming up are gone or that the funds for the cycle that is almost over are gone?

So if I am applying this upcoming June, it would be ok to use my tax return from this current year (filing 2014 for the 2013 year).

And as a second question, so when is the time table for when I would send this stuff in? Would I send it in very soon after the application opens (I think May 3rd?) Or could I send it any time before that time? The instructions are kind of confusing.

And sorry but a third question. So all I would have to do is send my paperwork to the address provided on AACOM, there is no formal application request form or supplemental materials, correct? Just my tax return and/or FAFSA for the 2013 year?"

Admin
"1.If you are applying in June, you will need to submit your 2013 tax returns. There will be available fee waivers once that cycle starts.

2.You may start sending documents on May 7, 2014. Any documents that we receive prior to this date will be discarded.

3.Please follow the instructions listed on page 5 of the application instructions in order to apply for a fee waiver. There is a cover sheet that you will need to submit with the fee waiver documents, however please wait to print this coversheet until the new cycle starts in May."

So takeaways:
DO NOT SEND IN REQUEST UNTIL MAY 7th
AMCAS has you send theirs in like now. But if you send in AACOM's then it will be discarded (however I am aware that some people have been successful at sending theirs early.

You can either send your SAR from last year 2013
Or you can send your Tax return information which you filed in 2014 (for the 2013 year). In my case this helps significantly since I was dependent last year and my father may way too much money.
So if you are in a gap year and doing stuff on your own this might be your best bet.

Hopefully this helps someone

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Confirmed with her that the requirement for FAP is 150% the poverty level. So as an example:

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...nual-update-of-the-hhs-poverty-guidelines#t-1

so if the poverty level for a family of two is $15,510, then 150% of the poverty level would be $23,265. So if my wife and I made less than that value we should receive FAP.

It takes into account adjusted gross income, which should be the value at the bottom of your tax form

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It has been discussed here before. They didn't make so clear before when you had to send in and I ended up having to resend everything.

Sure, I found little older discussions where you have to dig. But for the sake of anyone googling, hopefully they can find this thread.
Hopefully it can save some others from the frustration of not knowing if they will receive the assistance, as well as frustration from sending the application in at the wrong time.

Just trying to pave a trail for anyone else that needs help

This is some awesome info. Thank you so very much!