diseases and drugs which cause wight loss or gain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

faisal 2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
here
we are going to write all things about which diseases and drugs are going to lead weight loss / gain
and what is the reasons ?
for example:
Celiac disease due to mucosal injury which results in loss of villi and absorptive surface area
and so on
in other hand , in the drugs
oc pills result in wight gain due to (i dont know) but there is reason

Members don't see this ad.

Off the top of my head...

Weight loss: Topirimate, Fluoxetine* (uniquely)
Weight gain: Valproic acid, and any drug that increases insulin release

That's all you have to know, and you don't have to know why. Except for insulin lol.

Last edited:

Weight loss: Valproic acid, Fluoxetine* (uniquely)
Weight gain: Topirimate, and any drug that increases insulin release

That's all you have to know, and you don't have to know why. Except for insulin lol.

thanks doc
what about diseases which result in weight gain/loss and why ??

Members don't see this ad :)

Weight loss: Valproic acid, Fluoxetine* (uniquely)
Weight gain: Topirimate, and any drug that increases insulin release

You are definitely wrong re: valproic acid and topiramate. In fact the exact opposite is true. Topiramate is associated with weight loss and is frequently prescribed to aid in weight loss. Valproic acid is typically associated with meaningful weight gain.

Reactions: 1 user
You are definitely wrong re: valproic acid and topiramate. In fact the exact opposite is true. Topiramate is associated with weight loss and is frequently prescribed to aid in weight loss. Valproic acid is typically associated with meaningful weight gain.

yes you are right
i though he write valproic acid causes wight gain

thanks a lot

Woops I switch those drugs on my edit, idk why.

Lol, definitely wrong. Get over yourself.

I'm actually in the 96th percentile for pharm on uworld :) I assure you, it was a typing error.

Last edited:
hyperthyroidism can cause weight loss but i dont know why

Thyroid hormones increases the activity of the Na+/K+ ATPase pump and burn up all dat ATP.

Corticosteroids also cause weight gain. Clozapine/olanzapine I heard is classically associated with weight gain and has been asked about on Step 1.

Reactions: 1 user
weight gain: hypothyroidism, cushings
weight loss: type 1 diabetes, hyperthyroidism

a lot of the diabetes drugs have weight gain and weight loss effects. particularly high yield is metformin, which is associated with weight loss.

Leptin. Not a dis or a drug. but a hormone that plays specific roles in weight via regulating hunger and satiety in the hypothalamus.

weight loss; achlasia, peptic ulcer, Malabsorption syndromes( such as celiac and crohn) , adenocarcinoma of colon , hepatitis