Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Disgruntled "million dollar mistake" intern blog

Discussion in 'Topics in Healthcare' started by chinocochino, Mar 6, 2016.

1. chinocochino

Resident [Any Field]
    So this guy, an Italian-American (born here in the good old USA) laments the fact that he went to SGU in the Caribbean, got a 90+ percentile on both his Step 1 and Step 2, and honored every single rotation he had.

He did very well.

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/first-day-of-residency-wishing-it-was-my-last/

It's sad that he was barely considered for his first choice specialty, ortho, and in his words had to "settle" for IM.
    I do take offense to some of his statements in his blog though.

"Life is unfair. Unless you were born privileged, with the right name from the right race at the right time."

He believes that having the "right name" or "race" helps you get into medical school. It is true that Asians and Caucasians have the highest GPA/MCAT of MD matriculants. However, he is Caucasian and I don't know if he noted that Asians (of which I belong to) have it even tougher; we have the highest GPA/MCAT of all ethnic groups. I haven't seen anything in his blog that talks about his parents being immigrants but, most likely, they were born here. Imagine that--being part of the majority.

This guy really doesn't know what discrimination against minorities is. He could be Asian and have to deal with more racism than (usually) the majority in the US AND have to do much better in school than other ethnic groups. (See laws that kept certain Asian ethnic groups from entering the USA until relatively recently actually)

https://www.aei.org/publication/acceptance-rates-us-medical-schools-2014-reveal-ongoing-racial-profiling-affirmative-discrimination-blacks-hispanics/

He himself was accepted to a DO school but declined attendance; I don't know why.

He laments the fact that his program has an "eclectic" group of interns and says that on his first day he was much better than his colleagues.

"“What’s your secret to being so fast ” remarked the socially awkward Asian from a state University program in her thick accent."

Wow, didn't know that having an accent was that bad. I'd love to see him go abroad at age 15 and adapt to a different culture, language, and work at the family restaurant or dry cleaning business. Nice touch calling Asians "socially awkard" to boot.

1. Do people think that people that have rich parents have such a large advantage? I don't. Even if they paid your tuition you have to take the tests. The vast majority of us finance medical school almost entirely or entirely with loans. I don't know of many cases where it really helps appreciably; I find medicine much more "fair" than most areas of work.

Edit: I'm a resident but don't know how to change my profile. :(

Gpan likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chinocochino

Resident [Any Field]
    "It sucks being smart. Not a day goes by I don’t wake up wishing I was dumb – that way at least I would deserve being demoted to primary care."

https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/you-know-what/

Wow, this guy is really a piece of work. Nice job ragging on primary care. He was happy stating he got a "66 percentile" on his MCAT on his blog too. He really didn't do that well. He got about a 28 then; average MD matriculant gets a 31.

4. DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
    Banned

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    To change your "Medical Student" status to "Resident" click on your username on the top right hand side of the screen.

That should open a menu.

Click on personal details.

Scroll down.

You should be able to change that if you want in less than 2 minutes.

5. eteshoe

eteshoe .......

MD/PhD Student
    Lol. Well ain't hindsight 20/20

6. sizillyd

sizillyd Go Pack

Medical Student (Accepted)
    This guy is very bitter. Unfortunately, he made his bed and now he has to lie in it.

pascal007 likes this.
  7. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

[​IMG]
    Guise I found this new blog

8. jhamaican

what an amazing blog. 10/10 entertainment just read it all. Cannot believe I didn't find this earlier.

9. atomheart

Medical Student
    I remember reading this blog when I started medical school. Nice to see he did follow his dreams and made it into cardiology fellowship.

10. ryan_mercer

Non-Student
    Best blog ever, thanks friend :)

Mad Jack likes this.