MD Dismissal due to academic dishonesty for attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guitarman28

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post under the student doctor forums. Unfortunately, it is a post I thought I would never make. I have to be blunt here and say that I am currently devastated by the news I got this morning. I was dismissed from my school due to academic dishonesty with attendance of a class I was taking this past semester. Most likely due to low attendance to lectures (because everyone watches the online recordings) they implemented a new policy where students had to attend a certain amount of the classes to get a passing grade. I unfortunately did not take this policy seriously enough and said I attended a few classes when I didn't and I was caught - you can log in your attendance from home instead of at class and they could tell when someone did that.

Now I know being dismissed just for this would most likely not make sense so I will let you know that I did have to repeat the year due to health reasons and grades. But this time around I did well and passed everything. But due to my attendance, I got a failing grade for that class. It is pretty devastating knowing that this mistake led to my downfall after all my hand work and loans. Both the Dean and the course director thought being dismissed over this would be unlikely but I guess starting the year over really made things worse.

My question to you all is what should I do at this point? I can meet with the committee that made this decision and ask to appeal it next month. The problem is I was planning on taking the Step 1 next month and my morale for studying is shot now. If I wait until I find out if I can get back into school to start studying, my Step 1 will go horribly I'm sure. I could force myself to study but I don't think I could do that unless I know my chances of getting back into school are good. Like I said before, I've had a history of problems with my health and grades but I've never really had a problem with professionalism. I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I thought I could finally move on from second year and this happened. What do you think I should say to try to appeal my dismissal? Do you think my chances are good or bad? What should my back up plan be?

Members don't see this ad.

I also want to mention that I do take what I did seriously now and that honesty is important to me. I never thought I would end up having issues with professionalism and integrity in school. It is a pretty unfortunate situation.

Reactions: 1 user
Realistically, the only thing you can do is go hat in hand to the committee and beg for leniency. There is no point in taking Step 1 and pushing it back is far better than doing poorly on top of everything else.

You have put the school in a pretty bad place. You have a bad track record and then add on top of that lied to them. No school wants to kick out students, but sometimes they get backed into a corner.

Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you’re going to follow @mimelim ‘s good advice, you should probably stop calling it a mistake. You tried to game the system and got caught in a lie.

How the hell is that not a mistake?

mis·take
məˈstāk/
noun
  1. 1.
    an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.
But to OP: I agree, you made a pretty serious mistake but it sounds like you're ready to take ownership of it. Postpone Step 1, meet with the committee, and use the time you have between now and then to reflect on it.

Reactions: 8 users
How the hell is that not a mistake?

mis·take
məˈstāk/
noun
  1. 1.
    an action or judgment that is misguided or wrong.
But to OP: I agree, you made a pretty serious mistake but it sounds like you're ready to take ownership of it. Postpone Step 1, meet with the committee, and use the time you have between now and then to reflect on it.

I was referring to mistakes of fact and mistakes of law, not the dictionary definition. As in, he didn’t do it unwittingly, and he wasn’t ignorant of the rules.

Reactions: 9 users
I was referring to mistakes of fact and mistakes of law, not the dictionary definition. As in, he didn’t do it unwittingly, and he wasn’t ignorant of the rules.
The word 'mistake' doesn't imply ignorance or entrapment in common usage. It just means that, looking back, you realize you made the wrong decision and would not do it again.

Reactions: 8 users
Hello everyone, this is my first post under the student doctor forums. Unfortunately, it is a post I thought I would never make. I have to be blunt here and say that I am currently devastated by the news I got this morning. I was dismissed from my school due to academic dishonesty with attendance of a class I was taking this past semester. Most likely due to low attendance to lectures (because everyone watches the online recordings) they implemented a new policy where students had to attend a certain amount of the classes to get a passing grade. I unfortunately did not take this policy seriously enough and said I attended a few classes when I didn't and I was caught - you can log in your attendance from home instead of at class and they could tell when someone did that.

Now I know being dismissed just for this would most likely not make sense so I will let you know that I did have to repeat the year due to health reasons and grades. But this time around I did well and passed everything. But due to my attendance, I got a failing grade for that class. It is pretty devastating knowing that this mistake led to my downfall after all my hand work and loans. Both the Dean and the course director thought being dismissed over this would be unlikely but I guess starting the year over really made things worse.

My question to you all is what should I do at this point? I can meet with the committee that made this decision and ask to appeal it next month. The problem is I was planning on taking the Step 1 next month and my morale for studying is shot now. If I wait until I find out if I can get back into school to start studying, my Step 1 will go horribly I'm sure. I could force myself to study but I don't think I could do that unless I know my chances of getting back into school are good. Like I said before, I've had a history of problems with my health and grades but I've never really had a problem with professionalism. I honestly don't know what to do at this point. I thought I could finally move on from second year and this happened. What do you think I should say to try to appeal my dismissal? Do you think my chances are good or bad? What should my back up plan be?

Forget about STEP 1 as of now. You want to be a student first.
You should definitely appeal; however, your chances are low due to your history.
If given the chance, prepare yourself to explain the lie.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The word 'mistake' doesn't imply ignorance or entrapment in common usage. It just means that, looking back, you realize you made the wrong decision and would not do it again.
I think a lot of people use the word mistake as a bit of a copout to imply less culpability. This wasn't a mistake in the manner that it was some unintentional oops, like I mistakenly grabbed the wrong identical brown lunch bag from the fridge. This was a 100%, I don't like that rule so I'm going to break it and try to get by.....but they got caught

I would also caution against using the word "mistake" as I'm likely not the only one to feel this way

Reactions: 14 users
I guess I'm just wondering how many posts we're going to have on this forum of people doing different variations of this before people smarten up about it.

But yeah, the best the OP can do is sincerely admitt they made an incredibly poor decision.

Reactions: 10 users
I also want to mention that I do take what I did seriously now and that honesty is important to me. I never thought I would end up having issues with professionalism and integrity in school. It is a pretty unfortunate situation.
Be careful with language like this in an appeal because based on what you've posted, it sounds disingenuous and that the only reason you're taking it seriously now and that "honesty is important" is that you got caught and have to face the consequences. Honesty wasn't that important earlier in the semester or you would have just skipped the lectures and not faked your attendance.

Given the Dean and the course director didn't think you would get dismissed, maybe see if they will go to bat for you in terms of reversing the dismissal and just having a mark on your transcript after doing some sort of punishment/remediation with probation.

Reactions: 3 users
What do you think I should say to try to appeal my dismissal? Do you think my chances are good or bad? What should my back up plan be?
I'm not going to advise on what to say, only that your appeal should start with the Dean and then go up the chain of command....University President/CEO/provost/Chancellor.

I suspect that at my school your career would be over (but stranger things have happened and I've seen apparently unsalvageable students get to graduation...no, I'm not sharing), and I can't sugar coat this...it doesn't look good. You're a student with multiple red flags and now a cheating incident. The latter can be far more lethal than academic woes.

This case also illustrates two things about medical education:
1) try to avoid schools with required lecture attendance
2) there is no point in requiring attendance if students can watch recorded lectures.

Lastly, passive learning is less efficient than active learning and schools need to start practicing the EBM they preach and apply it to medical education.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
And I’m going to throw out that it is possible the Dean isn’t exactly pulling out all the stops to keep you and just didn’t want to make it awkward when you asked what your chances were.....or we aren’t getting the full objective story

Purely speculation here, I think if the Dean really 100% thought you should stay .....you wouldn’t be dismissed

Reactions: 5 users
Be careful with language like this in an appeal because based on what you've posted, it sounds disingenuous and that the only reason you're taking it seriously now and that "honesty is important" is that you got caught and have to face the consequences. Honesty wasn't that important earlier in the semester or you would have just skipped the lectures and not faked your attendance.

Given the Dean and the course director didn't think you would get dismissed, maybe see if they will go to bat for you in terms of reversing the dismissal and just having a mark on your transcript after doing some sort of punishment/remediation with probation.

With his MSPE showing

1) Extended medical education
2) Entire year of remediation
3) Professionalism strike

I just can't see him or her getting into any residency even with 230+ Steps...

This year I know numerous candidates barely matching (low on rank list) having issues with only ONE of the above categories (such as LoA due to personal emergency unrelated to academics) - how is he or she gonna match with all 3 strikes???

Reactions: 4 users
This case also illustrates two things about medical education:
1) try to avoid schools with required lecture attendance
2) there is no point in requiring attendance if students can watch recorded lectures.

Lastly, passive learning is less efficient than active learning and schools need to start practicing the EBM they preach and apply it to medical education.

Agree with other posters above. This is likely the last straw, but the best you can do is appeal until the very last.

Would also love to see medical schools use rigorous EBM re: existence of Step 2 CS, Step 1 as a predictor for residency success, etc.

OP - school might really care about match rate - and if they dont think you will match - they might not want you as a liability...

At my med school, you would absolutely be dismissed for this. It's not that you violated the school's attendance policy that's a concern. It's that you LIED about being in attendance. I assume that this didn't happen just once, but multiple times. If you had just failed the class because of attendance, I think you would have a better case than you do now. You will now be made an example of.

Assume you are granted entrance into the school again. You've now repeated a year, you've been dismissed for professionalism concerns, and you were reinstated. Presumably, you'd have to do something to make up for your failing grade. Your MPSE is going to reflect the professionalism violation and repeat year at minimum.

I wouldn't take you in my residency. Professionalism issues are the most difficult to remediate, and I don't think there's a whole lot you can do to prove that you won't lie again. And lying is the absolute worst thing you can do in patient care, outside of actively trying to murder a patient.

Reactions: 7 users

If the "lying about attendance" issue was your only problem, I highly doubt they'd have dismissed you. You'd have gotten in trouble, be on thin ice, but probably would be allowed to continue.

Except you were already on thin ice, given that this was the second time you were doing the year. This was already your second chance.

You can appeal, but I think the horse is out of the barn at this point unfortunately.

Additionally, I thought dismissal appeals usually go up to the Dean - if the Dean is on your side then what's the concern? Definitely sounds like we're missing part of this story

Additionally, I thought dismissal appeals usually go up to the Dean - if the Dean is on your side then what's the concern? Definitely sounds like we're missing part of this story
It actually usually goes to a committee that votes on your future. The dean usually can't unilaterally dismiss or retain students.

Now an academic hospital is a small community and you're right that if the dean is really willing to go to bat for you then you'll probably be fine. That's not what the OP said, though. He said the dean thought being dismissed was unlikley, which is in no way the same as the dean saying he would fight a dismissal if that's what the committee voted for. At best it could be taken to mean that dean wouldn't actively demand the OP's expulsion.

Anyway, OP, I agree with above. Go to the dean and the committee and say you are terribly sorry. Don't make excuses and promise that nothing remotely like this will ever happen again. It will either work or it won't but you might as well give it your best shot.

With his MSPE showing

1) Extended medical education
2) Entire year of remediation
3) Professionalism strike

I just can't see him or her getting into any residency even with 230+ Steps...

This year I know numerous candidates barely matching (low on rank list) having issues with only ONE of the above categories (such as LoA due to personal emergency unrelated to academics) - how is he or she gonna match with all 3 strikes???
Assuming this is an AMG, some pathology or family medicine program in the rural Midwest will probably still take him/her.

Assuming this is an AMG, some pathology or family medicine program in the rural Midwest will probably still take him/her.
With the proliferation of DO and MD programs, this can no longer be taken for granted, especially if we hit a residency crunch. Grads with red flags will be the first to go unmatched.

With the proliferation of DO and MD programs, this can no longer be taken for granted, especially if we hit a residency crunch. Grads with red flags will be the first to go unmatched.

Agree 100%. I know an applicant for Neurology - who had higher board scores and grades in med school than I - she matched LOW (like past no. 10 on ROL) to a low-tier academic program. What was her red flag? She delayed graduation bc one of her family abroad was dying...so she took a LoA. If an AMG with one single red flag (debatable) like this have trouble matching - how can OP match anywhere with a record like this? Neurology is also one of the least competitive fields with only 50% of positions filled by US grads.

Agree 100%. I know an applicant for Neurology - who had higher board scores and grades in med school than I - she matched LOW (like past no. 10 on ROL) to a low-tier academic program. What was her red flag? She delayed graduation bc one of her family abroad was dying...so she took a LoA. If an AMG with one single red flag (debatable) like this have trouble matching - how can OP match anywhere with a record like this? Neurology is also one of the least competitive fields with only 50% of positions filled by US grads.
FM is 45%, IM is 42% and Path is 37%. "Low tier academic" is way above the quality of program I'm imagining taking OP. If people are really realistic about their odds and apply to lots of very low ranked programs, I've seen much worse professionalism violations than lying about lecture attendance still match successfully at programs better than community hospitals in rural areas of flyover states but you're right, who knows what the future will hold.

At my med school, you would absolutely be dismissed for this. It's not that you violated the school's attendance policy that's a concern. It's that you LIED about being in attendance...

And lying is the absolute worst thing you can do in patient care, outside of actively trying to murder a patient.

OP screwed up in a major way by getting caught, but let's not exaggerate the moral implications here - compared with lying in the setting of patient care, lying about med school class attendance of sort of like telling someone it's 85 degrees instead of 90.

OP screwed up in a major way by getting caught, but let's not exaggerate the moral implications here - compared with lying in the setting of patient care, lying about med school class attendance of sort of like telling someone it's 85 degrees instead of 90.
To a point. But if I cannot trust you in everything then I have to question everything. Every time you tell me something I have to wonder if you consider it important enough to be honest about

I think this would actually go easier on the OP if they had just openly skipped class.

Reactions: 7 users
^ it definitely would have gone better. At our school we have been working on different policies including attendance and notices of concern (new school), and this was something that has definitely come up in discussions with students (we hold town halls occasionally to talk with admin about the program). The act of lying is a sure fire was to be in a load of trouble quickly, and and is always worse than whatever you lied about to cover up (sans going Dexter on someone, then lying might not be such a bad call "what, those black garbage, no they are definitely not mine, and thats not my boat either). But seriously, if it were me, I would be very careful to not make any excuses or minimize what happened. All you can do is show that you realize the gravity of your actions, own them, and explain what you have learned/what has changed so that it won't happen again. The rest is up to them. Take advantage of every last appeal or tool at your disposal, and be proactive about the situation. Show you are invested in your education, and that you will do everything in your power to continue as a student.

We have a few people who come late or even don't show up at all sometimes. It's incredibly frustrating and I'm glad that schools are moving towards stamping out this behavior.

Lol at everyone criticizing the dude. Thank you to all the moms out there.

He came here to ask for help.

Advice: just beg and cry

To a point. But if I cannot trust you in everything then I have to question everything. Every time you tell me something I have to wonder if you consider it important enough to be honest about

I think this would actually go easier on the OP if they had just openly skipped class.
The hidden benefit of going to school with a camera that takes your pic as proof of lecture attendance: Not facing the moral quandary of lying about one's presence.

Reactions: 2 users
The hidden benefit of going to school with a camera that takes your pic as proof of lecture attendance: Not facing the moral quandary of lying about one's presence.
Or you could just go to the school that doesn't require attendance to lecture.

I will never understand mandatory lecture attendance at this level. If no one's coming to your lectures, it's because they're terrible. This is an undergrad where people would rather sleep late or go out drinking at 3 p.m. as opposed to go into class. It is literally a class full of people who want to be here to learn this specific material.

Reactions: 19 users
This is not at all helpful to the OP, but to anyone else reading this: I was in a similar situation at my school. I decided to openly skip class instead of trying to pretend I was present. Luckily my school was understanding that the reason I (and many other students) skipped class was that we couldn't learn well in a lecture hall. I knew the worst possible outcome of not going would have been the lowest tier of honor code violation for professionalism due to missing "required" lectures, which at my school doesn't show up on anything (it takes multiple low tier violations or a higher tier violation for that). However, if I had chosen to lie, I could have risked dismissal. It's always better to just be honest and tell the truth in these situations.

Similarly, I'm reaching the end of my first year and realized I did not complete the required number of sessions for a longitudinal program where we practice interviewing skills/physical exam skills with a physician preceptor. I was debating being dishonest and saying I had completed all of them, but I didn't want to risk dismissal. Instead, I was honest with the course administrator, and she was able to tell me that the free clinic volunteering I've done could count for the remainder of the sessions I needed to complete.

Moral of the story: Your school does not want you to fail or be dismissed. If you find yourself in trouble, be honest and they will more than likely be willing to work with you. The second you exhibit academic dishonesty though, you're on your own.

Reactions: 11 users
This is not at all helpful to the OP, but to anyone else reading this: I was in a similar situation at my school. I decided to openly skip class instead of trying to pretend I was present. Luckily my school was understanding that the reason I (and many other students) skipped class was that we couldn't learn well in a lecture hall. I knew the worst possible outcome of not going would have been the lowest tier of honor code violation for professionalism due to missing "required" lectures, which at my school doesn't show up on anything (it takes multiple low tier violations or a higher tier violation for that). However, if I had chosen to lie, I could have risked dismissal. It's always better to just be honest and tell the truth in these situations.

Similarly, I'm reaching the end of my first year and realized I did not complete the required number of sessions for a longitudinal program where we practice interviewing skills/physical exam skills with a physician preceptor. I was debating being dishonest and saying I had completed all of them, but I didn't want to risk dismissal. Instead, I was honest with the course administrator, and she was able to tell me that the free clinic volunteering I've done could count for the remainder of the sessions I needed to complete.

Moral of the story: Your school does not want you to fail or be dismissed. If you find yourself in trouble, be honest and they will more than likely be willing to work with you. The second you exhibit academic dishonesty though, you're on your own.
Thanks dad
816C5EB9-5C17-44A3-A826-71E44D300C8D.jpeg

Moral of the story: start going to required things, seriously. Get in the habit now because there will always more be required **** that you think is useless but you have to go to anyways

Haha can't believe you called their bluff and didn't do required coursework especially after failing. Even if you get back in, the match will not be kind.

OP, lets assume you pull off 240+ board scores and H most of your clinical rotations..

When you apply for residency - the single most important document is your MSPE. The front page of MSPE lists the following 3 red flags:

1) Is your med school extended for any reason?
2) Any remediation
3) Any professionalism issue?

Students with any ONE of these red flags greatly harm their chances of matching into non-competitive specialties.

You have ALL THREE red flags - and that is the first thing PDs will see when they receive your application.

Even if you do get back in - you need to consider whether spending 100K+ and 2 years of your life is worth it for a maybe 10-20% chance of matching anywhere.

Moral of the story: start going to required things, seriously. Get in the habit now because there will always more be required **** that you think is useless but you have to go to anyways
That's...not the moral of the story at all. The moral is "don't lie, you're better off openly defying their petty BS than lying about it."

That's...not the moral of the story at all. The moral is "don't lie, you're better off openly defying their petty BS than lying about it."

If that's really what you want to take from it, be my guest.

If that's really what you want to take from it, be my guest.
There is literally a line at the end of the post you quoted that says:
So uh, yeah...I'm gonna go ahead and take the moral of the story from the direct quote in the story where it tells you what the moral is. Also, nothing in the story supports the lesson you tried to draw from it. Not saying you're wrong overall, just that if you want an anecdote to demonstrate your point, the one you quoted just isn't that. In that story, the person skipped the required stuff and so did most of his classmates and it worked out fine with no repercussions. Not exactly a great tale for "lesson is, go to all required events" anymore than Robin Hood's moral is that you should never steal for any reason and archery is lame.

The moral of the story isn't to raise identical twins so if one gets into a medical school with mandatory attendance, the other can attend classes while the other one stays at home and studies?

I've had perfect attendance at every other required event. I intentionally picked this school because lectures were not mandatory, and then they tried to implement a mandatory lecture policy out of nowhere during anatomy. So I, and many others, chose to not follow this policy.

Also, ironically, the reason I couldn't meet the requirement for the other program I mentioned was that my preceptor had clinic only on one day a week for a few hours. This conflicted with events with required attendance for about 1/3 of the school year.

My point wasn't to skip required things, but that if you've found out that you are not meeting the requirements, don't lie about it.

The moral of the story isn't to raise identical twins so if one gets into a medical school with mandatory attendance, the other can attend classes while the other one stays at home and studies?
Great scandal at MUSC about 2 years ago regarding identical twins cheating...

We have a few people who come late or even don't show up at all sometimes. It's incredibly frustrating and I'm glad that schools are moving towards stamping out this behavior.
I have read many of your comments. I generally enjoy them. But you are everywhere. I cannot tell if you are a medical student, a med school professor, an anesthesiologist or an emergency physician. Which one of those things/combinations are you?

I have read many of your comments. I generally enjoy them. But you are everywhere. I cannot tell if you are a medical student, a med school professor, an anesthesiologist or an emergency physician. Which one of those things/combinations are you?

He is a gas doc