Dismissed after 1st year but I want to apply again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BonBon101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I was dismissed from a DPT program. The program is one of the programs in the country that are going through accreditation process and I was in their first cohort. Currently, my emotions are still raw especially during my faculty meeting, professors stated "That my dismissal in the program doesn't negate the hard work and professionalism, during my year as their student."
Since the next cycle on PTCAS is coming up pretty soon. I'm trying to decide what should be my next step to apply for a Masters, just reapply to DPT or both. However I am being mindful of money, time effort I have already placed in accomplishing this goal. I have gone to therapy during the last two semesters to understand my pitfalls and be mindful of my decisions/habits. I am continuing with some more additional supplemental measures.
Going forward, I do know application wise what do I need to improve including GRE and being more selective in process when picking schools.For my new application, I will be able to use references from program director and one of the professors. Both of them stated, once I figure out what I want to do, they would contribute to a recommendation letter to my portfolio.
Any thoughts, comments or suggestions that will be helpful in still continuing my goal.

Members don't see this ad.

being mindful of money

That would be my #1 worry, if I were you. IMO state schools will pick folks with an unblemished record, since they have a large pool of applicants to select from. That leaves private (and expensive) schools. Make sure you run a financial analysis before you pull the trigger.

Reactions: 1 user
Be 100% sure that you will be ready next time. Identify the mental issues that held you back. Identify your bad habits and fix them. Have a plan to make sure you succeed next time. All is not lost, but you must convince schools that you are ready this time.