Dismissed after first term

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MCAT 31, Science GPA 3.6, Cumulative 2.8 (undergrad was bad, post-bac was good). Not stellar numbers, but not terrible. Remediation is what I want the most at this point, but I can't get the dean to give me the time of day (or a personal meeting). I don't know what to do at this point.

LASERPEWPEW CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected] ASAP

Members don't see this ad.

LASERPEWPEW CAN YOU PLEASE EMAIL ME AT [email protected] ASAP

Thanks for the thoughtful response. My health problems are resolved and it has never been a question of drive, commitment, or capability. I guess it is hard to see from an outside perspective, but my situation was really just a set of issues that were out of my control. When I was healthy and settled, I aced my exams. Thanks again.
I see your point, and there is some merit there. And it's not necessarily cruel, education is a business and they have to make certain assumptions. Yet if they actually expressed that sentiment at this point, it would be totally disingenuous. The deans at my school have given me zero feedback, refuse to meet with me, and won't return my emails or phone calls. While I understand that this probably happens with some degree regularity, no two cases are exactly alike and there truly is a lot of gray area in my case that they are just refusing to hear. I know that if I was given a second chance and on a level playing field now that all my issues are sorted out, I would be at the top of the class. I just haven't had any opportunity to say or prove that.
LASERPEWPEW EMAIL ME HERE PLZ [email protected]

Hey thanks for your thoughtful response Chasm. I am currently preparing applications to low-tier DO schools, and I like your idea about sending the letters to the deans of those schools. I'll definitely do that.

I'm still working on trying to get back in with my former school, but they are still rather unresponsive. However, my former classmates have expressed their support and are considering a petition to the dean. We'll see what transpires though.

I'll also look into Canada and Ireland, or other foreign programs. My stats aren't bad and besides my red flags, I think I would stand a chance.

Thanks again!
plz don't go to other school email me ASAP

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the thoughtful response. My health problems are resolved and it has never been a question of drive, commitment, or capability. I guess it is hard to see from an outside perspective, but my situation was really just a set of issues that were out of my control. When I was healthy and settled, I aced my exams. Thanks again.
Unfortunately they probably see that as a spot that another student could have. If they are not confident that OP will pass, they miss out on all the other semesters' worth of tuition.
she's already replaced!
plz don't go to other school email me ASAP

What I would do if i were you is do anything to achieve victory, which is matriculating in medical school.

You have the correct mindset in your confidence. i would say your plan A would be to convince your current school that this will not happen again and you will not fail again. I havent read the entire topic but it seems that youve already tried - if they keep listening i'd keep trying if i were you. formulate a well thought out plan of action to present to the school. Show them your passion about how hard you worked to this point

If this definitely doesnt work after youve done all you can, then you can at least try to ask them to change it from a withdrawal - I'd wager that would at least keep some doors easily open at other US schools.

If you acnnot even get it to be listed as withdrawaal, I'd send personal letters to a bunch of deans of all the reasonable medical schools in the country detailing the transgressions and asking if they'd consider your application.

If that fails, you can always get a masters or PhD, reapply to medical school (idk im just throwing out ideas now)

Finally, there are foreign options. it doesnt have to be just carrb either - I think ireland and canada have some good programs that allow for US clinical rotations/US residencies are welcoming to those. not sure though . you'll have to research.

If medicine is what you really want to do I think you should do whatever it takes. you should check out a thread by DrBones (i think that was his username - it's named after the star trek character). DrBones is a straight up badass SDNer who had some troubles in the beginning of medical school, got dismissed, and then clawed his way back into the game (i read his whole thread where he chronicled the whole thing). dude never surrendered

it sucks that they'd be willing to chuck people out so quickly wtf

Hi all, please bear with me in through this long post, I could sure use your help.

I've been dismissed from an osteopathic medical program today after my first term and an unsuccessful appeal. I would appreciate anybody reading this and providing helpful advice on where to go from here, or simply if anybody can relate to my situation. I am disclosing all information pertaining to my situation so you can get a pretty good idea of the predicament I am in.

Here's the story: I was accepted into my program three weeks before classes began and moved across the country (literally, coast-to-coast) to attend school. I was definitely apprehensive at first, not knowing if it would be feasible to move, as well as prepare for and start med school in three weeks. Furthermore, the school where I was accepted is in a large city and I knew it would be hard to find housing on short notice, let alone start medical school without yet having a place to live. I went for it though, how could I pass up that opportunity. Finding housing was a nightmare and I didn't end up signing a lease until about two months into the term. This complicated the first eight weeks of school and, though I felt behind, I didn't start feeling a sense of impending doom until I got a kidney stone during the first set of exams. I was in the hospital for a day and out of commission for five days (due to passing stone and pain meds). *By the by, this sob story of my short-notice move and acute illness (with supporting medical documentation) was covered in my appeal.* The kidney stone set me back 5-6 days and, perhaps needless to say, I did poorly on the first set of exams. Second set of exams, much better. All A's, B's, and one C.

I will note at this point that after the difficulty of getting settled due to my short-notice cross-country move, with subsequent illness and hospitalization, I was feeling reallllly behind and was petrified of being dismissed. I met with the dean (twice), and with my anatomy professors several times. Anatomy was the class I was struggling most in since it was really easy to get behind due to the amount of material. I was feeling better about school after the second set of exams, though I did poorly on the second anatomy practical as well.

Now on to finals week. On the second day of finals week I became ill with recurrent IBS (medical documentation also provided in my appeal) and bombed all finals apart from anatomy. Given this unfortunate turn of events, as well as the nightmare of my early semester, I never felt like I really had a chance to establish a quality study regimen and get into a good groove because since pretty much day one I was living from exam to exam. My motivation never dwindled and I was studying pretty much 24/7. When I told my classmates/friends, they were shocked and offered to write letters to the dean attesting to my dedication and rough go at things.

As a last ditch, I also came forward with, and included in my appeal, a well-documented learning disability that I have. In hindsight, I should have come forward with it sooner, but it had never been a problem in undergrad and I never struggled with in my studies. I just figured that it couldn't hurt.

Long story, sorry. So...school had me fill out forms for disability accommodation and my dismissal was pended until the results of a teleconference with disability services were released. My disability accommodations were approved, and two hours later my appeal was rejected and my dismissal was final.

I was very humble in my appeal and included all documentation (very thorough), as well as a proposed academic plan and a statement describing why the factors that initially held me back would not be an issue should I be reinstated.

Again, sorry about the long post, but you can imagine how miserable this is and I am just looking for any feedback to help me make sense of this mess.

I just withdrew from the same school PEWPEW MUST TALK TO ME EMAIL ME AT [email protected]

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is what you do, I know all about it:

0. DELETE EVERY ONE OF YOUR POSTINGS HERE.

1. Change legal name. Change name on all documents. BUT NOT the medical school. DO NOT inform the med school of the name change. Get a lawyer to help you.

2. Change social security number. You can do it, get a lawyer, claim ID theft. THEN DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING WITH A DIFFERENT LAWYER.

3. Apply to other schools with new name and SS. Don't mention the failed medical school. Don't even think about it.

5. Look different. Grow a beard, shave head to look bald if necessary.

6. Don't apply anywhere NEAR the original medical school, for medical school or residency.

7. In med school, stay under the radar. Don't do anything funny. You learnt your lesson. NEVER use old name.

8. Residency, ditto. No where near dismissed med school.

9. Once you have your medical license, you are safe. It is VERY hard to lose your license, and you have all the legal rights.

:troll:

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted back into U.S. medical school, class of 2021 ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 users
Do to illness you should be able to repeat the year, you seem to have plenty of evidence.

I also would like to hear where you ended up. PM me if you're not comfortable posting in public please :D

Congrats!!

Do you mind sharing what has happened, and how you got accepted since you last posted in 2015?
Thanks! And yes, I'll post a f/u with a bit more detail. But needless to say, it's been a long road...

Accepted back into U.S. medical school, class of 2021 ;)
Congrats! It is always fantastic to see a recovery story on SDN, its good to know you can go back sometimes. :)

But I got to know: did HUMC2015 or dede002 help? Did you follow up with them?

Congrats! It is always fantastic to see a recovery story on SDN, its good to know you can go back sometimes. :)

But I got to know: did HUMC2015 or dede002 help? Did you follow up with them?
Thank you very much! No, I didn't speak with either of those people, was pretty much on my own.