Dismissed from Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badart97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Blah

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I finished my first year of Dental school and ended up failing 6 courses with 1 -2% points. I have only one reason for failing my courses, which is depression that I was diagnosed with in my Fall semester. I know this is not a reason to fail so many courses but I really did study hard and still ended up failing. All I want to do is retake my first year over again, I will gladly pay another year of tuition and retake all my classes for another chance. However, the school has decided to dismiss me without any chance of remediating any classes over the summer. I need to know my options, I have 5 days to appeal the decision which goes in front of a panel. Should I hire a lawyer, would that pressure help in my chances to get back into school? Please I am willing to do everything and anything. Thank you for any advice.

Definitely get a lawyer....

You have had a medical emergency...

You have been accepted to dental school....

Dental school considers you a well rounded applicant/enrollee....

Dentistry is your dreams...,.

By you getting dismissed.... Could this jeopardize your future attempts towards dentistry or any position requiring a license?

Is your depression in control?

Will you be a benefit for dental healthcare ?

You must answer and think about all these things....

If you are not fit.... Then you shouldn't get a lawyer .

I'm sorry to hear about your dismissal. The same thing happened to me a while ago. I believe my academic issues were due to depression as well. Unfortunately, I did not see anyone about it and never got a diagnosis. I appealed my dismissal in front of the panel and they stuck by their decision. I did not get a lawyer either. I was just an embarrassed, dumb kid that didn't know what to do, and it didn't turn out very well for a long time. It's taken me 9 years to get myself into a position to realistically reapply.
In hindsight, I obviously should have seen someone about the depression, so I could have at least had a medical reason for my poor performance. Since you have sought out medical help, I would at least talk to a lawyer as well as your parents in order to determine the appropriate steps to take. There is a decent chance they will let you repeat I think. It's at least worth a shot if this is what you want to do. You don't want to have to jump through the endless hoops that I have to get back to where you are now. It's a long, expensive, difficult road.

Reactions: 1 user
I finished my first year of Dental school and ended up failing 6 courses with 1 -2% points. I have only one reason for failing my courses, which is depression that I was diagnosed with in my Fall semester. I know this is not a reason to fail so many courses but I really did study hard and still ended up failing. All I want to do is retake my first year over again, I will gladly pay another year of tuition and retake all my classes for another chance. However, the school has decided to dismiss me without any chance of remediating any classes over the summer. I need to know my options, I have 5 days to appeal the decision which goes in front of a panel. Should I hire a lawyer, would that pressure help in my chances to get back into school? Please I am willing to do everything and anything. Thank you for any advice.

I just went through the same situation as you except I was diagnosed with anxiety instead halfway through spring semester. They didn't accept my appeal to repeat the year though :( I hope your situation worked out better and that they gave you another chance. I'm trying to figure things out now. I was thinking of doing a master's and then trying to reapply but I'm just unsure of the likelihood of schools considering me with this on my record. @rudspan, what are your thoughts?