Dismissed From Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very sad situation, but dental schools have to prevent certain people from going out there and seriously hurting or handicapping patients. You were one of them and the dental school did what they had to do. All these people saying get a lawyer are just dumb and don't understand that this was the best option to prevent OP from doing more harm than good.
OP passed her boards, right? If everyone here is saying to lawyer up except for you, maybe it’s not everyone else that’s dumb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
OP should definitely get a lawyer. And not listen to a word of this.
Agreed. Obviously, the gofundme and even posts here are a bit rambling, however, who am I to judge someone for that. I am sure I have had many of those types of posts/messages in my life and given the current situation, I can understand the frenzy she must be in. I bet it's difficult to come clean about your issues at DS with the admin and all other gossip/scandalous rumors that are untrue but propagate like a knife thru hot butter.

That being said, the litigation aspect is HUGE. I was wondering if you took any advice from my first post? I can still guide you, if needed. What makes me think the OP was wronged is the year at which they did this to her. Almost always, it seems to be a discplinary issue or some personal vendetta that is obsfuscated as an academic one and given requirements being an issue, makes it all the murkier.

Hope you're okay, champ.

Reactions: 1 users
Very sad situation, but dental schools have to prevent certain people from going out there and seriously hurting or handicapping patients. You were one of them and the dental school did what they had to do. All these people saying get a lawyer are just dumb and don't understand that this was the best option to prevent OP from doing more harm than good.
Get off of the high horse, seriously. The job of "preventing" is for dental boards.
The school's responsibility is to provide the service of teaching dentistry. They long forgotten that
For the money they charge they should stop treating students like sh.t
Whatever happened - dismissing someone during their 4th year is unforgivable

• Care
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm sure there are some schools out there willing to listen and give OP a chance - we had a guy fail 1st year and instead of repeating the year Maryland let him transfer in and not repeat the year, he graduated on time.
And its slightly off topic but boards are a joke -it's just a money grab for another organization to have their hand in the pot. The onus should be on the school - aka who sees you work with pts all day for 2 years - not some 1 off event where kids fail bc their pt didn't show up/didn't fill out a form correctly etc. We've all seen amazing students struggle with boards, and students who can barely fill a bucket have a good day and pass boards.

Reactions: 1 user

What a condescending and unhelpful post. You don't know her situation. Don't listen to this.

You remind me of one those gunners in dental schools that everyone in the class hated and that sabotaged and put down everyone else to get what they wanted. They are insecure and pathetic people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Would you be interested in biomedical engineering? or with strong gre in the future, bioinformatics? Im positive there would be a masters program somewhere that would overlook the dental school attempt.
I also think you underestimate the value of your Berkeley degree. I wish there was a way to contact someone from the advising department there and talk about your situation and furthering your education in a way that will lead to a 6 figure salary, which Im not sure my suggestion would do. The IT suggestion seems really good too and obviously the best is if you can get in again in a dental school, but I don't know anything about if that is possible or more likely, 100% not, maybe call detroit mercy admissions? Something will definitely work, you just need to get more people's opinions whose job it is to help students with decisions like this. I would not waste time suing the school, treat looking for a grad school opportunity like a full time job instead. You are less limited than you think; you can come out of this making $100,000 a year in the end. Keep calling people, send more and more emails asking people to advise you if possible over the phone. When you talk to them, stick to the simple statistics, dismissal, gpa, etc, so they arent drawn into the emotional part. It only takes 1 person with the right idea.

Also make sure you talk to your loan servicer thoroughly about your situation over the phone. They will make you feel better. That always always helps.

If you don't feel good about your situation, it just means you haven't talked to enough people about it yet. Nothing else. That's the most useful advice I can give.

Last edited:
Did not read all the replies. Your life isn’t ruined. You can enroll in REPAYE and become a teacher or work for the state/city and pursue PSLF. Google transparent California and search jobs there. Plan career accordingly.

I am so sorry for you. Have you heard facebook group dental nachos? If not, please join there and ask for help!!
Why were you dismissed if you don’t mind asking.
what would dental nachos do? get them a job as a dental assistant? I feel like it wouldn't be super helpful for someone with no degree

I was dismissed from dental school in my fourth year from an expensive private dental school and have not been able to find a job, not even fast food. COVID situation is hitting my area very hard. I cannot rely on parents for support for the crushing debt burden. Any tips? I cannot afford any further education right now and need career change recommendations! It was a bad situation complicated by a leave of absence and systemic issues. The school let me take the WREB and I had 1 semester left to go. It's been over a year and dismissal still made me so upset everytime I realize the time and money I lost. I did not even realize that dismissal was a possibility when I accepted admission since it seemed rare. My life trajectory is downwards and my possible career options are so limited now! My youth and dreams are gone.

Career advice is appreciated. My Bachelors was Biology so it greatly limits me. Professional school is not an option for me due to grades.
Go on REPAYE ASAP. You need to be on an IBR payment program, and it looks like REPAYE or PAYE are your best options. it will cover part of the interest that you cannot afford to pay. make the minimum payments which will be 10% of your income. if your income is 0 the payments should be zero. do not stress about paying it off, getting gofundme funds or your parents to pay it. you simply cannot afford to pay it. that is ok. just avoid default/forbearance if you can.

I agree that you should sue and see if there is any way you can actually get your degree. it sounds like you were denied due process and may have been discriminated against.

In the meantime just pay 10% of whatever you are making. that's all you need to cover your debt. this will be the reality for you for the next 20 years whether you are working for an hourly wage or are able to transition to higher paying salaried careers. this is the main negative aspect of your dental school dismissal. you will move past the stigma and pain over time. As other commentors have said, your career options are more limitless than limited. the next couple of years will probably still be hard. it will be hard to find a good career because of covid.

I'd recommend applying for whole foods shopper jobs or amazon driver jobs. Or grocery stores, target, fedex, ups, postal service, any entry level jobs that are hiring that provide benefits. amazon is the most probable as they are hiring everywhere and it only takes a week to get through the hiring process. that will get you health benefits, income, and amazon even offers a 401k. Work an hourly job like amazon while you figure out what you want to do next.

what you do next is up to you. whether it's going back to school, learning a new skill like IT, or starting a business it's all up to you. the burden of dismissal from dental school will be 10% of your income from 20 years. it's a challenge for sure but your life is not ruined. you are beginning a new life free from all the bs and troubles of dental school. the tax bomb will be expensive but you can save for it. it will be based on your current tax bracket. if your income is low you will not have to pay as much as you think. you won't go to jail. they're not going to take your dad's car. you can manage it.

you are obviously very smart to have made it this far. you got this

Last edited:
Seriously, no one has ever went to jail for not paying student loans alone

I saw your thread on DentalTown as well. There was a lot of advice on there as well. A lot of your situation is not clear, but perhaps that may be due to a language barrier. It would help to clarify your situation if it was written more clearly. At this point, you need to focus and deal with the situation at hand. Do not focus on the government taking a car that you do not have or sending you to prison, that is not going to happen and that is not an immediate problem. Don't focus on things like you should have studied another subject 8 years ago or your degree sucks and you can't do anything with it. Focus on what you can do right now. You were smart enough to get into dental school and you have a college degree, so you will have a future career in something. Don't give up so easily. At this point, you need professional help. You need an attorney to see if you have a case against the school. On DentalTown, they posted an couple examples of students dismissed unjustly from professional school and they pursued legal action and they were justified (won a lot of money against the school). If you were in fact wrongly dismissed, you need to rectify it.
would you mind sharing the link on dentaltown?

I would also like to commend the OP for sharing her experience and for talking with us about what she went through. any feelings of shame, guilt, betrayal are not deserved. it sounds like you were done wrong by your school. it is more common than you think and you are not alone. it takes bravery to seek help like she has done

In my area recent PT graduates with a DPT can not fine jobs, same with OTs. PAs are working as Staff Nurses because there are no jobs for PAs.
Some are working as substitute teachers in Science classes just to make money.
Which state/city is this?

would you mind sharing the link on dentaltown?

You need to have a dentaltown account to view thread:

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Delete your go fund me. Your rambling doesn't help you and can be used against you.
2. Organize your thoughts so that you can explain your situation in 3-4 sentences.
3. Call and email every single program director at every single dental school to see if they'll admit you as a transfer.

You're not the first one to get kicked out. You also wouldn't be the first one to get readmitted.

Take responsibility. Don't blame the school that kicked you out. People will notice and treat you differently.

Reactions: 9 users
I was dismissed from dental school in my fourth year from an expensive private dental school and have not been able to find a job, not even fast food. COVID situation is hitting my area very hard. I cannot rely on parents for support for the crushing debt burden. Any tips? I cannot afford any further education right now and need career change recommendations! It was a bad situation complicated by a leave of absence and systemic issues. The school let me take the WREB and I had 1 semester left to go. It's been over a year and dismissal still made me so upset everytime I realize the time and money I lost. I did not even realize that dismissal was a possibility when I accepted admission since it seemed rare. My life trajectory is downwards and my possible career options are so limited now! My youth and dreams are gone.

Career advice is appreciated. My Bachelors was Biology so it greatly limits me. Professional school is not an option for me due to grades.
Do you mind sharing which dental school it was? One thing to know is you are not alone. I personally know 2 people who got half way thru med school and stopped. You will recover and it will lead to something better for you. Hang in there.

I’m really sorry with what you have to go through. It’s absolutely heart breaking to have life come crashing down on you. It affects everything, mentally and emotionally. Coming from a person with a similar situation, I highly recommend applying for IBR. Although your interest will continue to accrue. It will prevent you from defaulting. You can have an IBR as low as $0 a month. Yes, there will be a tax bomb but having a tax bomb is better than the situation you are in now. This option helps lift the weight off of your shoulder while you get back on your feet. I hope this moment pass for you asap <3

Do exactly what he said. IT is infinitely a more feasible route. You need 0 education to do it; I actually know quite a bit about the field and had done a bootcamp sort of thing prior to dental school. I an easily guide you and suggest programs that will not cost you anything, however, you must sign a contract/agreement to give 5-10 percent (sometimes more) of your income for a year or two. It's a consultant/contracting out developers/business analysis/ QA and all that stuff.

Tech is a very confusing field in the positions and the duties. Tech meaning both IT and coding/the software side. Fields like cyber security, cloud based storage platforms like Amazon Web Services, Msoft Azure and google services are dominating the landscape and so everyone is essentially practicing with these tools. It will seem VERY overwhelming at first, but I have helped my younger cousins/family friends and any younger or even an older soul who may have lost his way at some point into this profession and they are doing quite well.

I can give you a more thorough answer and provide recent data. (I literally had this same conversation with an ex the other day asking for career advice. It ended with me educating her about the costs of doing some type of occupational therapy/PA/psychology kind of ordeal. She didn't know the real impact of interest compounding and just the difficulty in the healthcare landscape.

She was grateful for the warning and decided to look into IT.

Also, contact me. I think a friend of mine also contacted you on my behalf earlier yesterday, stating that I would email you later. TOTALLY forgot to, but this post reminded me to get in contact with you.

I feel really bad for you, bud. But, hope isn't all lost.
I would be interested in any help and advice about the IT field. I wanted to message you but I was limited from seeing your profile and messaging you.

Captain monkey brain over here, but I just don't understand the scenario... I read the GoFundMe (despite how long it was) and it just didn't make sense. She talks about having a lot of patients, but they just didn't come in to be seen (any of them), about how offensive emails were sent from her account that she didn't send, how someone also deleted key emails from her email account, about how she missed meetings that she was intentionally not told about, about some forced leave of absence for some unclear reason, about all clinic and administrative personnel ignored her, and about how once she did get the treatments she needed for graduation, she was forced to give them to other students. Now, I am not saying all of this did not happen. It could have, based on her account. I am just saying that I would be interested to hear the other side of the story for completeness sake because these are all outstanding scenarios in their own right. Put together, this just sounds like an incredible scenario so I would love to hear more from the other side.

To the OP: Do some soul searching to try and see how this happened. Also, speaking with your dental school to try and set up a proactive game-plan to meet the last few requirements with contingencies is not a bad idea either. If this does not work, contact every dental school you can and clearly and concisely articulate your scenario. It is possible that they could give you admissions for the final year or two. Not saying that it will yield anything, but it might be worth a try if you put some real, solid, honest effort and thought into it. I sincerely hope that you can find a way to succeed and push through such a difficult scenario.

Reactions: 2 users
Basically... as of today...I'm most scared of defaulting three times. Wage garnishment (I cannot find a job due to COVID related economy issues). Savings garnishment (I have almost no savings because dental school ate up my savings). Passport revoked. Property like cars/house taken by government (I have none). Prison time until someone gathers all $375K ("acceleration" of loans) to pay it all off at once, which is near impossible for lower middle class families like mine. My whole family is in horror.
Hi can we talk

I legit thought this was NYU (I went there and your story is IDENTICAL to what they do to their students there - every single piece of it). Lawyer up - NYU has done this several times to students - yes, several - and has lost on a few of those occasions. Dental schools feel like they can get away with anything, but they are no more above the law than the next person.

It should be illegal to dismiss a dental student in their fourth year. I withdrew in my first semester. I hope things work out for you.

• Okay...
Thank you for your kind words. I've been taking antidepressants and enrolling into talk therapy so that I'm mentally okay. CPA (accounting) is the career I'm most interested in pursuing at this point, but the dismissal is STILL tainting my life. Employers automatically think badly of anyone dismissed from a program. It's almost as if I got fired from a job due to poor performance, but the judgement is x1000. In this difficult economy, I think CPA companies would rather NOT hire a new accountant with a dismissal in their history since they assume the dismissal correlates to inherently bad character traits. That kind of judgement hurts me a lot.

Should I even list dental school in my resume?
But if I don't list dental school and it's outcome: dismissal, there would be a 5 year gap in my job history that is erroneously seen as sloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your kind words. I've been taking antidepressants and enrolling into talk therapy so that I'm mentally okay. CPA (accounting) is the career I'm most interested in pursuing at this point, but the dismissal is STILL tainting my life. Employers automatically think badly of anyone dismissed from a program. It's almost as if I got fired from a job due to poor performance, but the judgement is x1000. In this difficult economy, I think CPA companies would rather NOT hire a new accountant with a dismissal in their history since they assume the dismissal correlates to inherently bad character traits. That kind of judgement hurts me a lot.

But if I don't list dental school and it's outcome: dismissal, there would be a 5 year gap in my job history that is erroneously seen as sloth.
Browsing through this thread, the highlighted question is the worst part.
Getting into an accounting program, if you didn’t do it in undergrad will be challenging. But the bigger challenge will be the “gap” when you eventually try to get a job.

The alternative is almost worse though. Listing that you did dental school for 4 years, didn’t get a dental degree, and are applying for accounting jobs will set off all kinds of red flags.

Assuming years from now, your plan to become a CPA works, you may want to try and open up your own independent practice. Although I can’t imagine how much dental school debt you have and how that may cripple any plans.

Just a sad situation. In med school, it’s very rare anyone gets kicked out after second year(and even then, it’s after being given multiple chances just to “pass” tests). Unlike dental school where you all are actually independently doing procedures on patients, in med school Third and fourth year, we are pretty much precepting under multiple levels of doctors, so you can’t really mess anything up unless you go rogue. For that reason, it’s extremely rare to get kicked out. The more realistic scenario is that a very bad student will graduate and get a MD, but can’t get into a residency, which will end their career. That unfortunately does happen to a small percentage.

I hope things work out for you.

There are so many things you can say you did for 5 years. Your family won 10 million dollars and you were traveling. You went to live in another country or lived at a farm. You were looking after a sick relative
The most important - you are not a bad person or have bad character. You had a misfortunate event. Nobody is perfect

No need to mention anything negative on your application.

Transfer your credits into a MS in Biology program or something similar, then you can just say you graduated with your masters. Find a program that will give you an assistantship throughout the entire program. Then do Software engineering boot camp or Accounting Boot Camp and apply.

Sorry for what happened....Things will get better. GL

You can become a certified teacher and work in a public school for 10 years to get all your federal student loans forgiven via PSLF. As long as you have a bachelors in anything, you can take an online teacher certification program for about $4k.

Did you file an article 78? You should have been able to that day in October when the final judgement for your dismissal was given. You have four months from the date of your TERMINATION, so assuming that is the SECOND AND FINAL APPEAL you are given (I think you said that) after appealing the grounds of the dismissal, you have one last appeal if any rules/policies in the handbook were not followed while making the decision to keep you or not. This is the only grounds you can have to win that appeal.

But, I know it's all bull**** too. They know they are going to dismiss you when they send you the first letter. Academic issues allowing for a student's dismissal are very difficult to parse from dismissals from disciplinary reasons. You would rather fight a disciplinary-induced dismissal because you are given a full panoply of rights, as is afforded with our due process innately preserved in all matters of the law.

In a disciplinary case, you have the right to face your accuser, have a hearing and defend yourself with legal representation. That means, a lawyer can help you make the case to keep you and usually, this is an asset for all students, because they use their legalese to make the administrators look dumb. Most admins will not bring their school's legal team until an actual lawsuit is filed. The hearing in a disciplinary dismissal scenario is just a hearing. It is not technically a dismissal yet because your faith is still being evaluated, hence the lack of lawyers from the university. They do not want to escalate the situation at all for many reasons (press, bad faith, having to cover the skeletons they leave exposed and they always have them exposed). The problem is, once a school establishes a case against you (you will be filing the petition to overturn the college's decision) they will have no issue even lying to protect their butt. There is a massive cushion in perjury laws in an article 78 sadly because not all evidence is considered standard material evidence even if a false claim is made but appears to be backed with documentary evidence.

Unless there are huge disputes over very material evidence that was critical in your determination of the dismissal, judges still don't throw out the case or perhaps switch the case from the judge deciding the verdict to an actual jury of your peers (not students, citizens) which is very good for the petitioner (you in this scenario). Colleges, especially health care schools, rely on these tricks extensively because they know judges have no idea what the hell their policies are and requirements. They will be lost trying to follow your story on go fund me, Less is more in these scenarios.

There is an unspoken rule apparently, though it really does not exist and more legal scholars are wondering about the this type of legal matter were student's due process is never given. It really is a massive issue in universities all over America. Especially in recent years, more and more publications in legal journals talk and agree that schools are given WAY TOO MUCH DEFERENCE in these 'dismissal due to academics' cases. They can not like you, fail you for failing an OSCE but really just didn't like you for making them late one day to their lunch break that they left 15 mins early for. I am embellishing, but I know of some insane crap that has happened to students. Really unethical and unfair stuff that ruined their lives all because the school wanted them out, 'made a mistake, genuinely maybe did make a mistake or whatever. Yes, some students need to be dismissed I know. You can't fail 8 classes 1 year and attempt to play innocent. But with matters due to requirements and the uneven distribution of rosters, that stuff is painful.

Actually, a very similar thing happened to me: leave of absence against my will, lack of getting a roster,... crap I made more points of similarities but got to actually run for work. Those points aren't needed for anything important. I just wanted you to have some idea of the legal aspects involved.

Don't want to make this any longer, but you should really contact me when you have a chance. I need some more clarification on your case but shoot me s message here if not I can give my email or something.
I need to contact you too. i am in a similiar situation. mine happened in Nov 2021. what is your contact?

Did you file an article 78? You should have been able to that day in October when the final judgement for your dismissal was given. You have four months from the date of your TERMINATION, so assuming that is the SECOND AND FINAL APPEAL you are given (I think you said that) after appealing the grounds of the dismissal, you have one last appeal if any rules/policies in the handbook were not followed while making the decision to keep you or not. This is the only grounds you can have to win that appeal.

But, I know it's all bull**** too. They know they are going to dismiss you when they send you the first letter. Academic issues allowing for a student's dismissal are very difficult to parse from dismissals from disciplinary reasons. You would rather fight a disciplinary-induced dismissal because you are given a full panoply of rights, as is afforded with our due process innately preserved in all matters of the law.

In a disciplinary case, you have the right to face your accuser, have a hearing and defend yourself with legal representation. That means, a lawyer can help you make the case to keep you and usually, this is an asset for all students, because they use their legalese to make the administrators look dumb. Most admins will not bring their school's legal team until an actual lawsuit is filed. The hearing in a disciplinary dismissal scenario is just a hearing. It is not technically a dismissal yet because your faith is still being evaluated, hence the lack of lawyers from the university. They do not want to escalate the situation at all for many reasons (press, bad faith, having to cover the skeletons they leave exposed and they always have them exposed). The problem is, once a school establishes a case against you (you will be filing the petition to overturn the college's decision) they will have no issue even lying to protect their butt. There is a massive cushion in perjury laws in an article 78 sadly because not all evidence is considered standard material evidence even if a false claim is made but appears to be backed with documentary evidence.

Unless there are huge disputes over very material evidence that was critical in your determination of the dismissal, judges still don't throw out the case or perhaps switch the case from the judge deciding the verdict to an actual jury of your peers (not students, citizens) which is very good for the petitioner (you in this scenario). Colleges, especially health care schools, rely on these tricks extensively because they know judges have no idea what the hell their policies are and requirements. They will be lost trying to follow your story on go fund me, Less is more in these scenarios.

There is an unspoken rule apparently, though it really does not exist and more legal scholars are wondering about the this type of legal matter were student's due process is never given. It really is a massive issue in universities all over America. Especially in recent years, more and more publications in legal journals talk and agree that schools are given WAY TOO MUCH DEFERENCE in these 'dismissal due to academics' cases. They can not like you, fail you for failing an OSCE but really just didn't like you for making them late one day to their lunch break that they left 15 mins early for. I am embellishing, but I know of some insane crap that has happened to students. Really unethical and unfair stuff that ruined their lives all because the school wanted them out, 'made a mistake, genuinely maybe did make a mistake or whatever. Yes, some students need to be dismissed I know. You can't fail 8 classes 1 year and attempt to play innocent. But with matters due to requirements and the uneven distribution of rosters, that stuff is painful.

Actually, a very similar thing happened to me: leave of absence against my will, lack of getting a roster,... crap I made more points of similarities but got to actually run for work. Those points aren't needed for anything important. I just wanted you to have some idea of the legal aspects involved.

Don't want to make this any longer, but you should really contact me when you have a chance. I need some more clarification on your case but shoot me s message here if not I can give my email or something.
I need to contact you too. i am in a similiar situation. mine happened in Nov 2021. what is your contact?

did you ever try reapplying to other schools?