dismissed from med school applying to dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saadi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently dismissed from med school. i had some extenuating circumstances ( my mom and husband passed away) I wanted to stay but couldnt pass step 1 in the alotted time. My mom was a dentist and I have been thinking of applying to dental school but had a couple questions:
1) will i still be able to get in even though I was dismissed from medical school? how bad wil that look? and do I have to say that I went to medical school or can I omit that from my application. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently dismissed from med school. i had some extenuating circumstances ( my mom and husband passed away) I wanted to stay but couldnt pass step 1 in the alotted time. My mom was a dentist and I have been thinking of applying to dental school but had a couple questions:
1) will i still be able to get in even though I was dismissed from medical school? how bad wil that look? and do I have to say that I went to medical school or can I omit that from my application. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that.
I think that under those circumstances that med, dental, etc schools will be happy to accept you if you qualify as an applicant.
Also, you have to mention that you applied to/attended other professional schools.

I'm sorry for your losses.

Do you not want to do medical anymore? Why the switch to dental? Answer these questions (not to us, just to yourself). If you feel you have come up with solid, reasonable answers then there is no reason that you will not be accepted to dental school.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah i think posters above have clearly answered your question (you have to be able to explain why you are switching to dental instead of repeating another year of medical school)

In your application you will have to list all of tests you have taken (MCAT for your case) and also any health professional schools or graduate schools you have attended. So yeah you will have to discuss this schools who will interview you.

Best of luck! (and also I'm very sorry for your losses but hope everything will work out for you in the future!)

Again, very sorry for your losses. When you say dismissed, were you unable to cope with the academic stresses, or what were the circumstances?

Again, very sorry for your losses. When you say dismissed, were you unable to cope with the academic stresses, or what were the circumstances?

She said she couldn't pass Step I.

yeah i think posters above have clearly answered your question (you have to be able to explain why you are switching to dental instead of repeating another year of medical school)

In your application you will have to list all of tests you have taken (MCAT for your case) and also any health professional schools or graduate schools you have attended. So yeah you will have to discuss this schools who will interview you.

Best of luck! (and also I'm very sorry for your losses but hope everything will work out for you in the future!)

Not true, they will never ask you about other tests... but they will ask about other professional schools..

There is a girl in my class who dropped out of med school (also due to deaths in her family). It is certainly possible!

so if you couldn't pass Step 1 they will kick you out of med school?

Not true, they will never ask you about other tests... but they will ask about other professional schools..

Some of the most popular application question are "Have you ever attended another professional school?" and "Have you ever been dismissed from another professional school?"

hmm maybe i got confused with TMDSAS (i had to fill out both AADSAS and TMDSAS) but I do know one of them asked for MCAT scores.

sorry about giving false info :(