Dismissed from Osteopathic Medical School due to COMLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msuspartans

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got dismissed due to failing the COMLEX 1 after 3 attempts. I finished my first 2 years successfully. Finished a handful of rotations with great/perfect clinical grades.
Many months have past by, received therapy and counseling to make sure I am fit and ready for the next phase of my life.
I am open to any suggestions. I am still considering a career in the healthcare field.
I have a bachelors of science in biology and a masters in medical science with a combined 3.6 GPA.
I am considering Pharmacy school since I am volunteering/ shadowing and soon to be a tech. I Will likely apply To a program that doesn't require a PCat. Hopefully get into an accelerated program such as lecom and mass.
Another option would be to continue medicine in the Caribbean. I'd Just have to get the degree after 16 months of rotations. I have contacted a few low tier medical schools down there and they're willing to have the credits transferred. I know matching is low but there are many careers especially in the medical technology field that is growing. Any suggestions would help. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If there is anyone that experienced this in the past, pls PM me. I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
First, your message looks like you're texting one of your buddies. This is a serious situation. It's hard for me to read what you wrote and take you seriously as an educated adult.

Second, I highly doubt any MD/DO school is going to take you in the US. If you don't mind family medicine then go to the Caribbean. I'm not even sure other professional schools (pharm, dental, etc.) would take you with a dismissal.

COMLEX isn't going anywhere either, by the way.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, an MD by itself isn't really worth much. I would just call it quits on becoming a physician if I were you. There's no shame in it, this is a tough slough and a lot of people don't make it. A buddy of mine actually just failed Step 1.

I can't rally recommend going into pharmacy since that's a dying field imo, but what about podiatry or dental school? I'm sure you'd get into pod school with you GPA and I'm guessing you did ok on the MCAT, so you would probably do well on the DAT as well.

First, this is the internet. I am not interacting with anyone affiliated with any institution. So relax and I am not going to address you as a professional.
Second, I never mentioned any medical school in the United States that would take me in. So it's hard to take you seriously if you can not comprehend what I have written.

Most importantly, like I have stated, I received some counseling and I feel much better. I am young, healthy and determined to succeed in this life whether or not I'm ever going to be a medical doctor. I really appreciate everyone's help but do not insult me by saying "it's hard for me to take you seriously as an educated adult".

Reactions: 33 users
Thank you very much zeroO. I personally know a few pharmacy students that have gone thru my experience and some individuals that had it worse (dismissed due to unprofessional events). So I do know it's possible. I am keeping my options open and staying positive. Thank you very much for your time.

Reactions: 1 user
First, this is the internet. I am not interacting with anyone affiliated with any institution. So relax and I am not going to address you as a professional.
Second, I never mentioned any medical school in the United States that would take me in. So it's hard to take you seriously if you can not comprehend what I have written.

Most importantly, like I have stated, I received some counseling and I feel much better. I am young, healthy and determined to succeed in this life whether or not I'm ever going to be a medical doctor. I really appreciate everyone's help but do not insult me by saying "it's hard for me to take you seriously as an educated adult".

When can you take step 1? Can you take some step 1 practice tests to see how you'd score? If whatever limited you on comlex really is temporary and you can do well on step 1 then Caribbean is an option. Just don't pay tuition until you have very solid proof you will do well one step 1. 3 comlex failures don't just turn into a good step 1 score by saying you are going to try harder or reinvent yourself.

Other than that I think DPM, dental, and opto are all way underrated. If you think you would like one of those you can go for that.

There's a million better options than an MD without a residency. Do anything but that.

Also this must really suck and regardless of how you got here I feel for you for having to go through this.

Last edited:
I apologize Cubsfan10. Didn't mean to disrespect you but it seems like you rush into answering peoples questions/concerns too quickly. There aren't many individuals that get dismissed after completing their first 2 years of medical school that are "not depressed". I know many students that took years to "recover" from being dismissed and I am trying really hard to stay focused and determined. Now I wish no one would ever be in my shoes but I'm sure I won't be the last. I hope I could use this experience to strengthen me as a person and I truly believe my road to obtaining a professional degree isn't over. I don't believe what you've stated was correct but you are entitled to your own opinions. Dental and pharm programs won't automatically reject me bc I know 2 previous medical students that were dismissed that just finished each of those programs within the last 2 years. So whoever is reading this and is recently dismissed from medical school, Do Not give up...!

I have a few questions for you:

How much money would you have to spend to get that medical degree from the Carib (assuming that you researched and picked a school that is at least accredited and recognized in some states)?

Could you pass the Steps on your first tries?

If we're talking not a ton of money (like <$50k-ish to finish), which is the case at a lot of the non-big 4, but somewhat recognized schools in the Carib, then it honestly might be worth a try. That said, you need to be sure you can pass the steps and get through without issue.

Also, have you truly asked yourself whether becoming a physician is the only thing you want? The road ahead is still pretty long. You've only really started it. It would be pretty easy to switch gears now and you wouldn't really lose much. I think Pharm, Pod, Dental, Opto, etc. are all awesome choices. If you can get into any of these programs and you actually like the work, I think they'd be great careers.

Only you can really figure that out though.

MrChance2 thank you very much. 90% of my colleagues recommend what you wrote. My own family wants me to take the PASS program now. I completely agree with you and I need solid proof to do well on step 1. I haven't taken an nbme. I will only take the usmle step 1 once I am 100% and that will take some time. Thank you for your suggestions.

Hallowmann you saint. That's what I'm going thru as we speak. I have shadowed and took the time to see my options. I love pharmacy and dental. I have family members in those particular fields of healthcare. I loved everything about medicine as well. I enjoyed primary care especially family medicine.
To answer your questions, it would cost $90k for the rest of the program for a specific Lower tier caribbean.
85k for a 3 year accelerated PharmD program. And I don't want to even know about a dental program since the ones in state are private and ridiculously expensive.

I am contacting other medical programs and will update y'all once I have more information. Pls stay positive and whoever is/were in my shoes. Please don't hesitate to Pm me.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around the debt that you are planning on taking on by getting another degree like dentistry/pharm/pod/opto/etc. How are you doing on your loans?

Also, what was it about the COMLEX that you couldn't pass? You said you were doing well up until that point, what gives?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got dismissed due to failing the COMLEX 1 after 3 attempts. I finished my first 2 years successfully. Finished a handful of rotations with great/perfect clinical grades.
Many months have past by, received therapy and counseling to make sure I am fit and ready for the next phase of my life.
I am open to any suggestions. I am still considering a career in the healthcare field.
I have a bachelors of science in biology and a masters in medical science with a combined 3.6 GPA.
I am considering Pharmacy school since I am volunteering/ shadowing and soon to be a tech. I Will likely apply To a program that doesn't require a PCat. Hopefully get into an accelerated program such as lecom and mass.
Another option would be to continue medicine in the Caribbean. I'd Just have to get the degree after 16 months of rotations. I have contacted a few low tier medical schools down there and they're willing to have the credits transferred. I know matching is low but there are many careers especially in the medical technology field that is growing. Any suggestions would help. Thank you all.

Gun harder.

Giovanotto. My brother in law graduated from a private dental program that's 360k. I'm 150k plus another potential 90k for a PharmD program is still less than some of my DO colleagues. I was so worried when I got dismissed I couldn't sleep thinking about loans. After talking to a financial advisor and other professionals, I was feeling a little better.
If I knew why I messed up I wouldn't be in this situation tbh. I don't know. I wish I could tell you, my grades weren't bad. I just couldn't do it at the time. My grandfather past away and my mother in law got a stroke but I can't blame anyone but myself. My colleague's father passed away and was still able to pass the COMLEX. I hate comparing myself to others but I have no one to blame but myself.

Last edited:
68PGunner. I wish brotha. I had it all throughout my entire life. I don't know what happened the last year with regards to boards. I was gunnin. But apparently not enough.

First, this is the internet. I am not interacting with anyone affiliated with any institution. So relax and I am not going to address you as a professional. I really appreciate everyone's help but do not insult me by saying "it's hard for me to take you seriously as an educated adult".

I beg to differ. It's hard for me to take a poster seriously when they don't act professionally even in an anonymous forum. I'm guilty of this in the past, so I guess I won't be too critical since you're just a pre-health student at this point. Just remember that the way you come across will determine how posters reply to you.

If you want my advice, don't consider Caribbean at this point. If you could not pass COMLEX in three tries, USMLE will give you even more trouble.

Reactions: 2 users
Are you stating that I am not acting professional? What have I done or said to be accused of such statement? Please let me know! Yes I am a pre-health student at this point and how did I come across to you? And I truly think the USMLE will give me problems as well, and that is why I am considering other options. Am I allowed to seek other professions? May I ask a few people on the internet with their opinion? I have stated that I have taken some time off and shadowed other professionals. I am pushing myself to succeed after I have failed. It's not as easy as you might think, but please do not think I am being unprofessional especially if you can't prove that I have. If someone is telling me I don't have any options and should give up everything, they clearly have no idea and I don't respond. It's the comments like yours that state that I "don't act professional" that doesn't make any sense.

I have to admit. Once I started having problems I should've got help as soon as I could. After I have failed, the institution barely gave any assistance and they have changed a large portion of their program to increase their board score average, since it's much lower than the national avg. I contacted many "Med school dropouts " and I've noticed once you failed whether it's a course and especially on boards, depending on the school they try to get rid of you since it will look "bad". The state that I am in doesn't have a limit on attempts, and NBOME states that it can be taken 6 times. It's okay, I completely understand but it's very irritating when I speak to a specific physician that I visited that just tells me to become a medical assistant sitting on 150k in debt. He told me the reason is bc you failed out of the prestigious program of medicine! He said there is no point of going to another profession and i would spend a long portion of my life regretting the fact I didn't pass the boards. I shook my head and walked away! My life isn't over and I will not let this failure define me as a person for the rest of my life. If you're a physician that's self centered and unprofessional, congrats on passing a 400 question exam. But I wouldn't recommend any person to those types of physicians.

What were your class grades like? Did you fail any courses?

My grades weren't the best but it had a pass fail curriculum. No failed courses.

Wow, really sorry you have had to deal with this. I wish you all the best going forward. Take it easy. There's more life ahead so don't beat yourself hard. God be with you.

Reactions: 5 users
OP, sorry for how things with COMLEX played out but glad you were able to process it with others. I think, before diving into any more healthcare education (which we all know is expensive no matter where/what you do) Id answer totally honestly with yourself, what specifically you find meaning in with medicine? I think there are a lot of possibilities, some even in other clinical contexts where you can thrive. Failing 3 times only tells me one thing about you (given that we also know you passed didactic material and some rotations), you struggle with the standardized exam.
I say find something meaningful to you, even if that means re-imagining how that might look.

Reactions: 1 users
Very sorry to hear of this, OP, and I'll give you the same advice as if you were one of my own students. Your career as a doctor is over. Don't even think about going to a Carib diploma mill because I can already hear them salivating at the prospect of yet another desperate mark.

The fact that you failed COMLEX 3x does not bode well at all for Step I. It is important not to engage in magic thinking.

I would advise either DPM, PA, NP, paramedic, OT or other patient-intensive fields.

You gave it your best shot, and that's all you can do. On to Plan B.

In the mean time, take a job, any job (like, say, phlebotomy), work, save some money, and then see what door is opening up next.

Reactions: 5 users
I appreciate all of your time and suggestions. It means a lot. Please continue to not only help me but others in the future. It's extremely tough but this is life. I'm thankful to be healthy and I know it could always be a lot worse.

Reactions: 8 users
+1 for PA. They make great money for only 2 years of school.

Go to PA school. You've got the knowledge base to do well in that program and the PANCE test they take at the end should be passable. If you really don't want to, I would suggest podiatry and then pharmacy. In that order.

I don't know a lot about PA school, but don't they tend to frown on former med students enrolling?

Op, how close were you to passing?

To what do attribute the inability to pass comlex?

I am very interested in hearing the Op's response to this, but took note of his/her post: My grades weren't the best but it had a pass fail curriculum. No failed courses.

Pre-clinical GPA is one of the best predictors of success on Boards.

OP: did your school give you class rank performance, or your GPA?

Op, how close were you to passing?

To what do attribute the inability to pass comlex?

I don't know a lot about PA school, but don't they tend to frown on former med students enrolling?
Not a PA student, but the a PA friend told me that getting into PA school alone is hard, not even mentioning the OP's dismissal from his med school. Even if OP does go down this road, I would recommend to do something else (work, research, anything productive) for a year or two. This way, it's easier to convince the adcom of PA/dent/pharm/opto by saying that you fixed your problems in the past and are ready to start fresh.

Not a PA student, but the a PA friend told me that getting into PA school alone is hard, not even mentioning the OP's dismissal from his med school. Even if OP does go down this road, I would recommend to do something else (work, research, anything productive) for a year or two. This way, it's easier to convince the adcom of PA/dent/pharm/opto by saying that you fixed your problems in the past and are ready to start fresh.

Very true. PA program sizes are a fraction of medical schools' classes... it is actually very competitive to get into a PA program because of the smaller class sizes, desired lifestyle, lower # of programs, etc. And OP has an uphill battle as well for failing out of medical school (duh). I would not fall into the trap of thinking PA programs as an easy back-up plan to medical school

I totally agree with PA schools and other programs having an issue with regards to dismissed medical students. It's not that I can not handle the load of PA school, since I have completed all levels of education successful (undergraduate, graduate and the first 2 years of a professional program). Now the curriculum was Pass/Fail and I was ranked about 30-45%. So I was less than average and there were many times I knew I could've done better but I never failed any courses. Yes, I completely agree with having better grades correlates with a higher board score but I never thought I'd fail and ultimately being dismissed. My mcat was 27 and my ACT was 27 as well. So I didn't think my standardized testing skills were the main issue. My second attempt on the comlex was the lowest, 3rd being the highest at 385.
I really wish I was able to match and celebrate with my colleagues today. I want to congratulate everyone this year that matched successfully and I hope everyone nothing but the best.

Last edited:
I totally agree with PA schools and other programs having an issue with regards to dismissed medical students. It's not that I can not handle the load of PA school, since I have completed all levels of education successful (undergraduate, graduate and the first 2 years of a professional program). Now the curriculum was Pass/Fail and I was ranked about 30-45%. So I was less than average and there were many times I knew I could've done better but I never failed any courses. Yes, I completely agree with having better grades correlates with a higher board score but I never thought I'd fail and ultimately being dismissed. My mcat was 27 and my ACT was 27 as well. So I didn't think my standardized testing skills was the main issue.
I really wish I was able to match and celebrate with my colleagues today. I want to congratulate everyone this year that matched successfully and I hope everyone nothing but the best.
MCAT was 24, 25 or 27? Just looking at post history. Honestly asking because I have seen some attempts at correlating MCAT and steps.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

I applied and got accepted with a 25. I received my MCAT of a 27 after I was accepted into medical school. Took it twice, 25 and 27 that was not seen by the medical school that accepted me.

NP is an easier route than PA.

You need an RN, to start. You can obtain that credential with 2 years at a community college or hospital based diploma school. From there, you can easily get accepted to an NP program. It will take a couple years longer, at least, than doing the PA route, but you will not have any trouble finding a seat in a program.

Reactions: 4 users
I truly appreciate your time and suggestions. I will not make any quick decisions. I don't want the "easiest" route. I am still in my 20's and will consider anything that I truly enjoy. I will first make sure I am 100% fit and ready. And will get as much information as possible to analyze the advantages and disadvantages. I'm starting from scratch but I need to move forward. Pls if anyone is reading this and is in my shoes, get help and we could do this. A lot of great advice from this chat. I hopefully believe I will make it, and possibly help others as well.

On the bright side, you are done with the endless slog of medical education.

I think the future is open to you. There are a lot of options already mentioned that you could consider that do not require residency that could still provide a financially and fulfilling career. Choose wisely, have your ducks in order before you make the leap again.

As to the negative interpretation to your original post, do realize that there are people like that out there, whom will choose to magnify your weaknesses and mentally torture you for their own pleasure or as a salve to their own inadequacies. Just keep in mind they are part of the game you are playing, and some are in positions of authority and you may (but hopefully will not) have to deal with them to achieve your own goals.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow thepoopologist. That was perfect! Thank you.

Step 1 is much harder than COMLEX 1. I would be way about pursuing the medicine route for that reason.

Pod school is a solid idea. Pharmacy is taking anyone with a pulse these days. Dental is unlikely, as competitiveness is fairly high these days. Accelerated NP programs would open a lot of the same doors as medical school. PA school would be tough to gain admission to.

Ksmustang. If it makes you focus and pass. I'll be glad it did something for you. Good luck and study hard

O Grady. If I knew I'd fail so many times and end up in this situation, I'd spend 50k on tutors and resources. I had many "family issues" but I will not blame anyone or anything for my failures. I didn't pass while so many others have. It's my fault and I wish I fixed the issue at the time. But for right now, I could only focus on what I could do to keep moving forward.

Mad jack. Thank u for your time and suggestions

Wouldn't OP benefit from a masters linkage program?
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with a master's linkage program. is that when medical schools accept students that perform well on their masters program? or is it when I obtain a masters degree for completing the first 2 years? Forgive me, i haven't heard of such program.

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with a master's linkage program. is that when medical schools accept students that perform well on their masters program? or is it when I obtain a masters degree for completing the first 2 years? Forgive me, i haven't heard of such program.
Masters linkage is when a medical school offers a masters program and accepts you if you maintain a certain requirement. When I interviewed at one, I was told that they have had a student from the past who had matriculated at a medical school before. Maybe you should consider such programs.

Step 1 is much harder than COMLEX 1. I would be way about pursuing the medicine route for that reason.

Pod school is a solid idea. Pharmacy is taking anyone with a pulse these days. Dental is unlikely, as competitiveness is fairly high these days. Accelerated NP programs would open a lot of the same doors as medical school. PA school would be tough to gain admission to.

I've heard getting an NP job these days is getting harder and harder, especially for direct-entry people. I saw a recent projection that said NPs will have a surplus on the order of tens of thousands of grads by 2025...

I've heard getting an NP job these days is getting harder and harder, especially for direct-entry people. I saw a recent projection that said NPs will have a surplus on the order of tens of thousands of grads by 2025...
Open your own practice, problem solved.