Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

dismissed from pharm school/applying to DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by hbb2020, May 13, 2018.

1. hbb2020

Pre-Medical
    Hey,
    i don't know what is the best thing to do in my situation so please let me know what you think. I made this timeline so hopefully its easier to follow
    1. did two years of undergrad
    2. got accepted to pharmacy school at a young age, wasn't prepared
    3. dismissed from pharmacy school due to poor academics
    4. went back to finish undergrad (undergrad gpa 3.18)
    5. got inot science MS program finished it and earned 3.75 gpa.
    6. being in the ms program decided to pursue medicine
    7. have been studying for the mcat but will take it in June 16th, practice exams are still not so great.
    8. brief of experience: worked in pharmacy 3 years, 2 service trips, chem lab ta, volunteer experience, shadowed physicians
    I am not sure if i should apply or wait another year. what are my chances to get into med school? should i wait for mcat school (released in July 16th) or submit the application before then.
    help much appreciated
    thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MakeLifeHappen13

Medical Student
    Do not submit application until your MCAT score is back. Do not rush to take the MCAT until you are confident you can score above 503 even If that means delaying another cycle.

Re-invention and come back stories are generally well received by DO admissions but you need to have a genuine and well thought out explanation in your personal statement and on interview day as to why you are a different person now.

4. Patrick Bateman's Brother

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Based on pharmacist saturation, that dismissal may be a blessing in disguise.

Killing the MCAT, I believe, would make up for lack of research and leadership exp. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring up the dismissal even with the story of reinvention.