dismissed from school and taking step1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anesthesiarocks

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is sort of maybe in the process of being dismissed from school. From what I understand he's appealling a dismissal and they are still letting him go to class and everything until the appeal works its way through.

That said, he registered for step1 last year when he was an m-2, and then they told him he had to repeat the year so he cancelled it. So he's already get a usmle# and he's already sent in the original needed picture and registar's sig and everything.

What he's wondering is that if his appeal doesn't work, can he still take step 1 or would someone in the administration be in position to see him on the list and block it?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who is sort of maybe in the process of being dismissed from school. From what I understand he's appealling a dismissal and they are still letting him go to class and everything until the appeal works its way through.

That said, he registered for step1 last year when he was an m-2, and then they told him he had to repeat the year so he cancelled it. So he's already get a usmle# and he's already sent in the original needed picture and registar's sig and everything.

What he's wondering is that if his appeal doesn't work, can he still take step 1 or would someone in the administration be in position to see him on the list and block it?
why would ur friend want to take the step 1 after being dismissed from school? it certainly wont help him get into another US school....

matter of fact, a dsimissal would bar entry into carib schools also right? not to mention, when he applies for residency, the dismissal will be seen....

to answer ur question, yes, the registrar will see his name because he cancelled his first step 1........which means he has to reapply for a testing date block (thru NBME) and that will require a registrar's sig again.........or so I think...

I'm sorry for this question but why would somebody be dismissed from med-school? cuz i've not heard of that before.

why would ur friend want to take the step 1 after being dismissed from school? it certainly wont help him get into another US school....

matter of fact, a dsimissal would bar entry into carib schools also right? not to mention, when he applies for residency, the dismissal will be seen....

to answer ur question, yes, the registrar will see his name because he cancelled his first step 1........which means he has to reapply for a testing date block (thru NBME) and that will require a registrar's sig again.........or so I think...

I don't think it would require a registar's sig again- he's *already* got the registrars sig and picture and everything. Wouldn't it be similar to when someone gets a eligibility extension(because to do that you have to cancel your step1 and then send in $50 for an extension). Maybe since it's been so long though(like 9 months) he couldn't just pay the $50 because he can't just do a contigous three month thing...I dunno.

As for why would he want to take step1, supposedly there was someone who was in a similar situation as him last year and because there were some administrative changes his step1 registration went through and he took it and passed fairly easily then went to one of the deans in charge of cirriculum and was like "hey, I passed step1 and isn't that the whole point of preclinical anyways so can I start?" and he's now in third year. At least that's the rumor. I guess he's hoping the same thing happened.

Also, I think in case his appeal doesn't go through he would want to apply to carribean schools with a passing score on step1 thinking that they may allow him to go straight to clinicals or would let him start at second year I guess.

I just think he feels he'll have more leverage if he has a passing step1 score on the board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry for this question but why would somebody be dismissed from med-school? cuz i've not heard of that before.

Most all schools have policies. If you fail a class or two and have to remediate a year and then fail a class as part of the remediation year, I think you come up for dismissal at most schools under those circumstances.

Also failing step3 three times is a way to be dismissed for sure everywhere.

the eligibility extension is for the same year - as in if you picked a may to july block and need to take it in august.........I dont think it applies to the NEXT year

either way, something's off - if all it takes for the school to let him go to 3rd yr is a pasing step 1 score (based on someone else's experience from the yr before) why would the school stop him from taking it? if anything, they' like to see for themselves if he can pass, right? (assuming the dismissal charge is for academic reasons of course.............because if it isn't, a passing step 1 score wouldn't really do anything)

he should really try to stay in the school............I am not even sure carib schools would take him after a dismissal but even if he gets into a carib school after............I highly doubt US residencies would look on him favorably after a dismissal

fight to stay in the us school

the eligibility extension is for the same year - as in if you picked a may to july block and need to take it in august.........I dont think it applies to the NEXT year

either way, something's off - if all it takes for the school to let him go to 3rd yr is a pasing step 1 score (based on someone else's experience from the yr before) why would the school stop him from taking it? if anything, they' like to see for themselves if he can pass, right? (assuming the dismissal charge is for academic reasons of course.............because if it isn't, a passing step 1 score wouldn't really do anything)

he should really try to stay in the school............I am not even sure carib schools would take him after a dismissal but even if he gets into a carib school after............I highly doubt US residencies would look on him favorably after a dismissal

fight to stay in the us school

You're probably right about the eligibility thing. He's trying to sort out that now and crossing his figures that he can get a test day in early june sometime.

It's not that a passing step1 score automatically qualifies him to go to year 3. It just makes it more favorable for him I would guess. The school would stop him from taking it because they want to protect to some degree their step 1 passing rate I'm sure.

And yeah of course he's going to try to stay in school. That's best case scenario of course and hat's what the appeal is for. But if he gets kicked out, he's got to go to the carrib or something.

I've heard of people being dismissed from US medical schools and getting accepted to carribbean schools so it's still a possibility

just to get this straight, your "friend" repeated second year and is now in the process of appealing a decision in which he may get dismissed for failing a second time around? It just seems that even after appealing, it wouldn't sway the administration in his favor considering a previous year's failure. Even if they let him go through the motions, they don't have to let the person advance to 3rd year regardless of a passing step1 score. Also, i'm pretty sure that even if a student passes step1, he/she would still have to PASS all their classes. Otherwise it gives the impression that people can fail classes but as long as they pass step1, it's all good.

did the rumored 3rd year repeat 2nd year? because it seems that they would be less inclined to allow someone to advance after 2 failed attempts at 2nd year.

the OP's pretty much made up his mind.........no point in arguing scenarios............he just wants to know if there's a possibillity the school might know that he's sitting for step 1

I've heard of people being dismissed from US medical schools and getting accepted to carribbean schools so it's still a possibility

just to get this straight, your "friend" repeated second year and is now in the process of appealing a decision in which he may get dismissed for failing a second time around? It just seems that even after appealing, it wouldn't sway the administration in his favor considering a previous year's failure. Even if they let him go through the motions, they don't have to let the person advance to 3rd year regardless of a passing step1 score. Also, i'm pretty sure that even if a student passes step1, he/she would still have to PASS all their classes. Otherwise it gives the impression that people can fail classes but as long as they pass step1, it's all good.

did the rumored 3rd year repeat 2nd year? because it seems that they would be less inclined to allow someone to advance after 2 failed attempts at 2nd year.

he's in the process of repeating second year now, but failed a class earlier in second year. I think the ideal scenario would be to remediate the one class he's failed this year over the summer, and take step1 and pass it....and start 3rd year in july or so.

the OP's pretty much made up his mind.........no point in arguing scenarios............he just wants to know if there's a possibillity the school might know that he's sitting for step 1

There is no point in arguing scenarios because most schools have slightly different policies wrt promotion/remediation/dismissal, so it's pointless to get into the specifics of it from that perspective.