Disqualified from military service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a question regarding a vision problem which I think may disqualify me permanently from military service. I'm trying to find answers before I visit a recruiter so I don't waste anyones time.

When I was 18, I started to have this random loss of vision in my left eye. Only my left eye. The best way I can describe the loss of vision is someone slowly dimming the lights to the point where I can barely make out anything. The episodes only last about 1-3 minutes. They are painless and have no particular pattern. No headaches. Nothing. Just the vision loss.

At first, I ignored it and figured it would go away. Fast forward two years and I decide its time to visit a doctor.

I am referred by my doctor to a Neurologist. The Neurologist sends me to get some MRI's done. One of my brain and one of my eyes. I also had an ultrasound of my carotid arteries done. Nothing. Neurologist sends me to see an Opthamologist. Eye doctor sits me down, does her thing with a bunch of machines, and tells me I have a bit of optic nerve pressure? The only other test she could recommend was a lumbar puncture. Otherwise, she told me to come back if it got worse or if I had new symptoms.

Fast forward, I'm now 24, still have the episodes, and now I want to join the military but am worried it isn't going to happen.

What do you all think? Do I have a chance?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I have a question regarding a vision problem which I think may disqualify me permanently from military service. I'm trying to find answers before I visit a recruiter so I don't waste anyones time.

When I was 18, I started to have this random loss of vision in my left eye. Only my left eye. The best way I can describe the loss of vision is someone slowly dimming the lights to the point where I can barely make out anything. The episodes only last about 1-3 minutes. They are painless and have no particular pattern. No headaches. Nothing. Just the vision loss.

At first, I ignored it and figured it would go away. Fast forward two years and I decide its time to visit a doctor.

I am referred by my doctor to a Neurologist. The Neurologist sends me to get some MRI's done. One of my brain and one of my eyes. I also had an ultrasound of my carotid arteries done. Nothing. Neurologist sends me to see an Opthamologist. Eye doctor sits me down, does her thing with a bunch of machines, and tells me I have a bit of optic nerve pressure? The only other test she could recommend was a lumbar puncture. Otherwise, she told me to come back if it got worse or if I had new symptoms.

Fast forward, I'm now 24, still have the episodes, and now I want to join the military but am worried it isn't going to happen.

What do you all think? Do I have a chance?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

Sounds like something that would not be waverable. But, you never know. When times are tough they'll waver anything.

Cheers!

What exactly did she say about the "optic nerve pressure"? Was she suspecting papilledema, swelling of your optic nerves from pressure on the nerves or was there an issue with eye pressure? There are multiple possibilities here, everything from migraine to idiopathic intracranial hypertension to "pseudopapilledema" to optic nerve head drusen to an optic neuropathy not associated with elevated intracranial pressure.

You should have an evaluation by a neuro-ophthalmologist. Bring your records of your MRIs and your examinations with the neurologist and the ophthalmologist. Make sure you also bring the copies of the visual fields results. I won't go into what I think about your workup, but if you are still having these episodes, you should have an evaluation by a neuroophthalmologist. As to whether your symptoms would be an issue for military duty, the short answer is "yes" but in exactly what way I doubt anyone could say except you would require more evaluation than you have already had so far.

I do this kind of thing for a living. When I get to the point of wondering whether an LP is necessary, I order an LP.

What exactly did she say about the "optic nerve pressure"? Was she suspecting papilledema, swelling of your optic nerves from pressure on the nerves or was there an issue with eye pressure? There are multiple possibilities here, everything from migraine to idiopathic intracranial hypertension to "pseudopapilledema" to optic nerve head drusen to an optic neuropathy not associated with elevated intracranial pressure.

You should have an evaluation by a neuro-ophthalmologist. Bring your records of your MRIs and your examinations with the neurologist and the ophthalmologist. Make sure you also bring the copies of the visual fields results. I won't go into what I think about your workup, but if you are still having these episodes, you should have an evaluation by a neuroophthalmologist. As to whether your symptoms would be an issue for military duty, the short answer is "yes" but in exactly what way I doubt anyone could say except you would require more evaluation than you have already had so far.

I do this kind of thing for a living. When I get to the point of wondering whether an LP is necessary, I order an LP.

I remember the Ophthalmologist asked me if I had any eye discomfort while bending over. My response was no. Don't know what that had to do with everything...

All the doctors I talked to seemed intrigued/confused by my symptoms.

I don't currently have any health insurance. Seeing a neuro-ophthalmologist sounds expensive. Any idea how much something like this could end up costing?

And many thanks for your response. It was very helpful.

Sounds like something that would not be waverable. But, you never know. When times are tough they'll waver anything.

Cheers!

A waiver would be great. Thanks for the response.