Disqualifying tattoos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corpsman Up

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me a straight answer on this one. I spent 6yrs in the Navy, serving with the marines. Like 99% of young kids in the service, I got a few tattoos. One on the inside forearm (stupid, I was 18), and one on each bicep. They are not distasteful or vulgar, but they are visible in a short sleeve shirt.

Does anyone know if this is disqualifying or can be waived for HSPS and commision?

Members don't see this ad.

Easily-waiverable, unless they are extra-offensive. Hopefully not like one of my HMs who got FTN tattooed in a visible location.

Great to hear! They are not offensive, Ive just heard so many conflicting things about them being in a visible region and what not

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on a base in Okinawa now and there are guys with tats down to their wrists.

With Army, it's nothing below the wrists or above the neckline. I think you'll be okay.

I am an AF recruiter. I don't recruit officers or doctors... so I can't answer specific questions about that.

Tattoos on the hands or above the collar are not waiverable for the AF. Otherwise they are find if they are not gang related or offensive. They also can not cover more than 1/4 of the exposed body part. So if you had a "sleeve" it would not be OK.

I am not sure about the other services.

Also, so people get gang tattoos without knowing that they are gang tattoos. Even certain types of crosses can be considered gang tattoos because gangs use them.