Dissing high verbal scores!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

owen_osh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my complaint. In the past, the top verbal score was listed as 13-15, but this year it seems to be just 13. This screws people with high verbal scores. For example someone with 13V, 10P, 10B has a combined 33, but someone with a 10V, 15P, 10B has a combined 35. Each got the top score in one subsection, but the high physical scorer gets two points higher in the combined score. Shouldn't verbal count for just as much as the other subsections?

For the purposes of SDN posts, should top verbal scorers give their combined score with a 13V, 13-15V, or a 15V. That is, in the example above, would the combined score be 33, 33-35, or 35?

Top verbal scorers must unite against this injustice! :wink:

Members don't see this ad.

who cares man

Not to sound to insensitive. but get a real problem, some of us are struggling to get in who don't have 35 MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by owen_osh:

For the purposes of SDN posts, should top verbal scorers give their combined score with a 13V, 13-15V, or a 15V. That is, in the example above, would the combined score be 33, 33-35, or 35?

Top verbal scorers must unite against this injustice! :wink: •••••Here's my complaint: Life is too short to worry about whether or not those select few who receive a 13-15 on the verbal (Read: You) should have to deign to saying you only got a 13 on the verbal section. I for one know that my respect for you will automatically plummet when I see you post that 33 instead of that 33-35 or even that 35 all by itself! My advice: find something more important to worry about! Damn, some of these threads keep getting lamer by the day.

Yeah you're gonna get a lot of sympathy for that one. :rolleyes:

Someone correct me on this if I am wrong. Mcat scores of 1-15 has statistical significance. So if you want to get a 15 on a MCAT section, you have to get like 99.5 percentile (and this is possible for Bio and physical because only 3 people ace the section of the MCAT)

But if you and 3% of the other MCAT takers ace the verbal section which I assume happens a lot, then the highest score you can get on the section is 13(97% percentile) It's not even 13-15, it's simply 13.

P.S. 86% of all statistics are made up :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by owen_osh:
•Top verbal scorers must unite against this injustice! :wink: •••••watch it newbie, or low verbal scorers will unite to kick your ass! :p

It's always shown as 13 on the MCAT report since they got rid of 14 and 15. Nothing has changed.

I took the MCAT last year, and got a 13-15 on Verbal, and it was only counted as 13 on the total score. It was a little frustrating, but I hear it's being changed in 2003 or 2004, and a 15V will be possible.

Laura is right. Starting in April 2003 some changes will be made on the MCAT. One of them is reducing the number of verbal questions and developing a scale so one can get a legitimate 13, 14 or 15.