Distant clinicals---I want those

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TNT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many students complain that they do not want to do clinicals that are far from the med school campus. But, from what I have read, many of the hospitals that are distant will provide you with a place to stay, RENT FREE. If this is true, I would love to go far away if I don't need to pay rent. That rent money adds up during your clinicals. Whereas if you stay near campus, you would still be renting your apartment for two additional years. Is this true?? Any comments.

Members don't see this ad.

Not all hospitals -- in fact, few I think -- provide free housing to externs, so I wouldn't count on it.

Besides, is that gonna be the basis for whether or not you want a certain hospital for a rotation?

Tim of New York City.

I wasn't sure how often it happened. I got the info from a previous poster that stated he barely payed rent during his 3rd/4th years....It sounded good. Anyways, I would never go to a crappy hospital that would teach me nothing just for a free place. But when I do reach my third year, it will play a small factor in which rotation I will choose. Thanks for the reply.