District manager did his own audit of our pharmacy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trailerpark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since when do we have to call the Dr. to substitute phenazopyridine for Pyridium, it's not AB rated, but c'mon!

And we need to put the Dr's full address instead of just his number and clinic name, does anyone actually do this?

For example, if the doctor writes a prescription for Pyridium 200mg, the pharmacist may dispense the therapeutic alternative to Pyridium, which is Phenazopyridine. But, before dispensing Phenazopyridine 200mg, the pharmacist should call the doctor in order to ask for permission because Phenazopyridine is a non-AB rated drug.
Another example, if the physician writes a prescription for Levsin 0.125mg, the pharmacist may dispense the therapeutic alternative to Levsin, which is Hyoscyamine. But, before dispensing Hyoscyamine 0.125mg, the pharmacist should call the physician in order to ask for permission because Hyoscyamine is a non-AB rated drug.
Another example, if the physician writes a prescription for Salex cream, the pharmacist may dispense the therapeutic alternative to Salex cream, which is Salicylic Acid cream. But, before dispensing Salicylic Acid cream, the pharmacist should call the physician in order to ask for permission because Salicylic Acid is a non-AB rated drug.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody does this. But legally it is required. In the CVS computer system it doesn't auto-sub these drugs, but does force you to select a non-brand name drug from a list. That way you have broken the law, not them. It's all rather silly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a tech scold me that pyridium is a pain pill and people could get high off it so we need to take the rx seriously and call the doctor.

1. lomotil (diphenoxylate-atropine)
2. pyridium (phenazopyridine)
3. robitussion AC (Cheratussion AC)
4. rondec dm (ceron-dm)
5. levsin (Hyoscyamine)
6. salex cream (Salicylic Acid crm)

Most people just do it anyway because if we get audited by the PBM, most of those drugs are dirt cheap and won't make much of a difference if they do a chargeback.

Reactions: 1 user
Cheratussin AC has alcohol, Robitussin AC doesn't, so you have to be careful when subbing that for pregnant patients.

Cheratussin AC has alcohol, Robitussin AC doesn't, so you have to be careful when subbing that for pregnant patients.
I believe Robitussin AC is no longer manufactured, so I'd barely call it a substitution. It's just a provision of something that exists.

What about Cheratussin vs Iophen C?

Are they going to give you enough hours so you can follow the letter of the law exactly and stay on the phone 24/7 confirming whether or not a prescriber wants brand name pyridium (which probably no longer exists)?