Ditch EK Verbal 101???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatDude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the May 1st exam, so I have about 32 days left to study. My last AAMC practice test (no. 4) I got a 36 (13PS 10V 13BS), but then I took TBR no.1 and got a 32 but a (9PS, 11V, 12BS).

I have 15 practice full lengths planned for the month of April (1 every other day), and I was thinking that I usually score around the same on verbal (10-12), and maybe I should just focus on sciences because there are guaranteed potential gains from mastering the material more. I feel like since I am going to do 15 practice tests, that's 15 hours of verbal, and I think that should be enough to prepare me for the test. My hope is to dominate both sciences and just accept a 10-12 on the verbal section. Will doing this book have significant benefit?

I have done the first 5 tests of EK verbal 101. Did anyone see a great benefit from doing this book?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience the EK 101 book was not too helpful. AAMC practice exam verbals were much more similar to the real thing and much better practice... since you are already scoring pretty high on the verbal i would think it is safe to not spend too much time on it... but make sure you do all the verbals in your practice MCATs and review the answers. don't totally ignore the verbal because you might get "rusty"... Good luck on may 1st!!

Never let up on verbal. Keep doing what you're doing. Right when you start to relax on verbal practice is the second your score moves down. On top of that, it's extremely difficult to pull a verbal score back. As long as you're properly reviewing your tests, your science scores will probably go up on their own.

So you guys agree that doing about 13 full lengths (AAMC and TBR) and meticulously going through every right or wrong answer of my verbal sections (as well as other sections) would be enough to feel secure with verbal? As opposed to doing all these practice tests PLUS EK 101 Verbal tests on days that I do not take full lengths.

The way I look at it is that studying sciences more has a much higher likelihood of raising my score, whereas verbal MAY help, but also has a chance of not helping me at all.

I am a little worried that if I do 1 hr of verbal plus review every single day, that might make me dislike verbal and be a little less enthusiastic and intense on the real deal VR section.

So Yes? Ditch the EK 101?

Members don't see this ad :)
im in the same boat as you, taking it may 1st with 11 tests left to take. i think the EK101 is still good though, to mix in with your tests.

i dont think, however, im going to take a full test from EK anymore, just break it up to 3-4 passages at once and give myself 7-8 min/passage