Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Ditching the bio major and just doing dance?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DancerDocToBe, May 13, 2008.

1. DancerDocToBe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Okay, so I'm just finishing up my first year of college (though credit wise, I'm finishing up first semester of junior year...figure that one out!). Thanks to my rather large number of credits, I had to declare my major this spring (usually it's not until the spring of your second year) though I'm free to change it for quite some time. I'm currently declared as a double major in dance and biology with concentrations in dance science, pre-medical studies, and choreography; a dance performance concentration might eventually happen if I end up with enough performing experience by the time I graduate.

Anyways, on to my real question. I'm seriously considering dropping the bio major because while I really love biology, at this point, I love dance more and I'm having a really hard time knowing that at some point in the near future, I'm going to have to cut out a dance class or two so I can take plant physiology. I feel like by dropping the bio major, I'll have alot more time available to take other things that really interest me--like further chem and physics beyond whats required for a bio major. Is that absurd? Are med schools just going to laugh at a dance major applying for admission without so much as a minor in something sciencey?

Thanks!

2. Cegar

7+ Year Member

No. If anything, an admissions committee will view a dance major favorably.

Your bio courses will be seen as well. Have no fear.

Major in what you enjoy.

3. milliya

milliya Soon To Be Saving Babies
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    your curriculum sounds amazing!

4. 135892

135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What the hell is dance science?

5. HumidBeing

HumidBeing In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Dance classes, particularly performance based courses, require a tremendous devotion of time. It isn't necessary to have a minor in anything.

6. DancerDocToBe

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, makes me feel a bit more confident that I'm not just chasing a silly dream. I'm still planning on doing alot of the major coursework simply because I think its fascinating but knowing that it's not the end of world to be dropping that major makes life a lot less stressful! And it's not like I'm taking a light courseload either--I came in with 12 AP credit hours, took 16 last semester (max for 1st sem), took 18 this semester (max), and will be taking 19 next semester (max) plus a buttload of audits...

Dance science, for whomever asked, puts a greater emphasis on kinesiology and body mechanics and how they relate to dance--really, it's just giving me credit for classes I'd take anyway because a) they're beneficial and b) I think they're really cool!

7. wisconsindoctor

Removed

You can make dances that help explain science to people. You could even make a dance video that explains all of the reactions that people learn in organic chemistry.

8. kevster2001

kevster2001 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes definitely drop biology if your heart isn't in it. As long as your premed grades are up there, having an extra bio degree doesn't impress anybody since they're a dime a dozen.

9. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As long as your pre-req grades are solid (read as A's) it shouldn't be a problem. However, I would strongly consider taking a few upper level biology course sometime before you graduate. People in my entering class who were non-science majors in college were thrown off a bit at the beginning of the year because it had been a while since they had science courses and they had to refresh their memories. I'd recommend bio over advance physics and chem because it will be more applicable to med school.

10. DrJD

DrJD Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do IT!!!!

I know a lot of people who wished they had majored in something other than Biology before medical school... All medical schools require is good grades in the pre-req and a good over all gpa! Do something you enjoy now, get a great GPA and then you'll be able to dance circles around your classmates in medical school :)