DITY move/separation orders and extension

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeanWormer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told you have 180 days from separation to have your house hold goods moved at gov't expense or DITY reimbursement. I plan on staying in the area 90 beyond the 180 so my son can finish his school year and the Navy's moving office (PPO) told me you can request an extension beyond your 180 days.

Anyone do this? What's it entail and the hoops if any you must jump through?

How much money can one make on a DITY using say PODS moving a fam of 4 in a five bedroom home with typical middle class "stuff" in a 5 bedroom home with office etc.

I plan on spending the 10 months from separating from Navy and starting residency while my son finishes his last year at a private school working full time at a moonlighting job I currently work part time in. Save up some mad cash prior to going broke again as a resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I was told you have 180 days from separation to have your house hold goods moved at gov't expense or DITY reimbursement. I plan on staying in the area 90 beyond the 180 so my son can finish his school year and the Navy's moving office (PPO) told me you can request an extension beyond your 180 days.

Anyone do this? What's it entail and the hoops if any you must jump through?

How much money can one make on a DITY using say PODS moving a fam of 4 in a five bedroom home with typical middle class "stuff" in a 5 bedroom home with office etc.

I plan on spending the 10 months from separating from Navy and starting residency while my son finishes his last year at a private school working full time at a moonlighting job I currently work part time in. Save up some mad cash prior to going broke again as a resident.

I went over the 180 days thing when I left the Navy. In fact, I had most of my stuff boxed up and stored for about 8 months. Then I had a smaller shipment boxed and stored for 3 months. I did some travel and househunting in between. The local housing people gave me some bad looks (I think more paperwork on thier part), but they made it happen.

Do not take this as gospel that you 'can' do it. I don't know or remember the rules. I just pretended I was stupid with the housing people and used the old addage 'it's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission'.

So, I think it can be done (legally with a waiver), but I can't cite you a reguation for it. good luck