Diversity Essay Brainstorm: Which is best?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenykj49

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Drove across the country and moved to California alone when I was 20 and lived in a camper for a while. I worked at a well-known winery first, and then a famous brewery. Worked various manual labor jobs to stay afloat. Saved enough money until I could rent an apartment (had parental/familial support as well so not really that amazing). I did become super independent though and learned a lot from being culturally uprooted.

2. Grew up in a small rural town in Upstate NY surrounded by poverty. I'm middle-middle class (Teacher/Law Enforcement parents), but most of my friends were extremely poor. Food stamps, welfare, etc. I don't want ADCOMs to think I am a "hick" though, I truthfully have a passionate hatred of country culture because of the rampant ignorance and anti-science/anti-intellectualism attitudes.

3. Keep brainstorming

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. Drove across the country and moved to California alone when I was 20 and lived in a camper for a while. I worked at a well-known winery first, and then a famous brewery. Worked various manual labor jobs to stay afloat. Saved enough money until I could rent an apartment (had parental/familial support as well so not really that amazing). I did become super independent though and learned a lot from being culturally uprooted.

2. Grew up in a small rural town in Upstate NY surrounded by poverty. I'm middle-middle class (Teacher/Law Enforcement parents), but most of my friends were extremely poor. Food stamps, welfare, etc. I don't want ADCOMs to think I am a "hick" though, I truthfully have a passionate hatred of country culture because of the rampant ignorance, anti-science/anti-intellectualism attitudes, and disregard for healthy habits (diet, regular physician visits, etc.)

3. Keep brainstorming
I think the second option is a better diversity essay topic, as it shows you understand the struggles of those within the low SES class. These people face unique barriers to quality healthcare. The first topic is easy forgettable and really not that impressive considering you were already 20 years old. People go off to serve in the military at 18.

If you go with number two, be sure to omit the list of stereotypes about country people. I also come from a small rural town, and I definitely know what you mean, but as written it sounds a bit elitist.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the second option is a better diversity essay topic, as it shows you understand the struggles of those within the low SES class. These people face unique barriers to quality healthcare. The first topic is easy forgettable and really not that impressive considering you were already 20 years old. People go off to serve in the military at 18.

If you go with number two, be sure to omit the list of stereotypes about country people. I also come from a small rural town, and I definitely know what you mean, but as written it sounds a bit elitist.
You are totally right about #1.

I would certainly write #2 more eloquently. Of course, these are harsh generalizations and there is much more nuance. I was just telling someone else that I understand the issues intellectually, but have a hard time feeling compassionate when watching confederate flags drive by my house.

Members don't see this ad :)

2. Grew up in a small rural town in Upstate NY surrounded by poverty. I'm middle-middle class (Teacher/Law Enforcement parents), but most of my friends were extremely poor. Food stamps, welfare, etc. I don't want ADCOMs to think I am a "hick" though, I truthfully have a passionate hatred of country culture because of the rampant ignorance and anti-science/anti-intellectualism attitudes.

3. Keep brainstorming
A fair number of med students grew up in a poor community, but you being not poor will probably fall flat.

But this definitely will catch an eye (except at LUCOM or Loma Linda): worked at a well-known winery first, and then a famous brewery.

Reactions: 1 user
Non-primary care focused application: Go with option 1
Primary care focused application: Go with option 2

I agree that you should start looking at what type of overall narrative you are looking to achieve through your application. Living that experience of low SES is obviously going to be more powerful than merely witnessing it. Unless you are formulating your app around rural medicine and the desire to change it for the better the 2nd option essay will probably be a little out of place.However, I do think the rural community angle could be really strong if you have a primary care-focused application.

Last edited: