• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Diversity Essay - Hearing issue in one ear?

TragicalDrFaust

2+ Year Member
May 27, 2017
southwest
  1. Medical Student
In the essay, would you be able to explain how your hearing loss has changed your experiences compared to a someone without hearing loss? Your post makes it sound like it doesn’t have much of an effect on you. It’s a bit of a catch 22. Either you say you have a disability and write a compelling essay about a trait that you say is frowned upon in physicians (I’m not sure if that’s true or not) or you write an essay about a challenge that doesn’t sound like it’s challenged you- a bad response to the essay prompt. I would consider writing about something else.

Reactions: 3 users

TheBoxmaster

2+ Year Member
May 15, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
In the essay, would you be able to explain how your hearing loss has changed your experiences compared to a someone without hearing loss? Your post makes it sound like it doesn’t have much of an effect on you. It’s a bit of a catch 22. Either you say you have a disability and write a compelling essay about a trait that you say is frowned upon in physicians (I’m not sure if that’s true or not) or you write an essay about a challenge that doesn’t sound like it’s challenged you- a bad response to the essay prompt. I would consider writing about something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
About the Ads

Sky138

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2019
  1. Medical Student
I think it could work if you wrote not only about overcoming your deficiency but also how feeling marginalized for being different inspired you to pursue medicine and helps you empathize with disadvantaged people. Taking that approach might make you a tad more of a fit for service based schools?

Reactions: 1 users
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hi all,

I was wondering if this would be too damaging to mention but essentially I have a congenital issue in one of my ears which caused hearing loss on one side (not entirely deaf on one side but close) which is relatively rare. This makes it hard for me to hear if someone is whispering into my ear and to pick out sounds in a crowded room but doesn't affect my work in any meaningful way. I wear a hearing aid if needed for very specific situations and don't list it as a medical issue on forms as generally it doesn't affect how I communicate/public speak/wasn't an issue with any of my previous roles. I generally frame this condition as forcing me to pay more attention to the person sitting across from me/being a more attentive listener since I generally try to concentrate to hear as best as I can so that it is never an issue.

I have heard that hearing issues are quite frowned upon for physicians, however, and am questioning if this would be a problem for me to mention for a diversity essay.

Thank you!
Fine for adversity, but this doesn't make you cool. Cool is for the diversity prompt.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.