Diversity Essay Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kris400158

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble with the diversity essay (middle class, south asian applicant). I am a first generation immigrant and would be able to talk about the disconnect I had going to an all caucasian school, having different views than my peers from a young age. That did change when I want to an inner city high school, away from my suburban home. So I did learn how to interact with different peoples and do have volunteer experiences to show that, but I am struggling with "how does it contribute to the medical school" or "how would you enrich the community or your peers". I don't have a particular activity or action to share with my class is my hangup.

Members don't see this ad.

I am having trouble with the diversity essay (middle class, south asian applicant). I am a first generation immigrant and would be able to talk about the disconnect I had going to an all caucasian school, having different views than my peers from a young age. That did change when I want to an inner city high school, away from my suburban home. So I did learn how to interact with different peoples and do have volunteer experiences to show that, but I am struggling with "how does it contribute to the medical school" or "how would you enrich the community or your peers". I don't have a particular activity or action to share with my class is my hangup.
Having an intimate understanding of your parents' cultural setpoint and how it differs from that of yourself and your peers seems valuable to me. So does bridging a cultural gap and learning to make friends when you feel "different." So does having an inner city HS experience, especially if it was in a rough neighborhood.

@Catalystik So would I not need to have an activity or something like that to contribute to the class rather than just my own cultural understanding? For example, if I was into nutrition I would be able to share my love for nutrition with my class and be better physicians for improving our own lives and our patients

Members don't see this ad :)
@Catalystik1) So would I not need to have an activity or something like that to contribute to the class rather than just my own cultural understanding?
2) if I was into nutrition I would be able to share my love for nutrition with my class and be better physicians for improving our own lives and our patients
1) Ideally you'd be sharing these cultural insights during relevant activities, not keeping them locked inside your own brain.

2) Sharing "love for nutrition" can be tricky if you can't cite some basis for having science-based understanding of nutrition. Adcomms would be leery of potential diet fad promotion, for example, if you can't explain yourself well.

Reactions: 1 user
Having an intimate understanding of your parents' cultural setpoint and how it differs from that of yourself and your peers seems valuable to me. So does bridging a cultural gap and learning to make friends when you feel "different." So does having an inner city HS experience, especially if it was in a rough neighborhood.
Agree 100%

Reactions: 1 user
1) Ideally you'd be sharing these cultural insights during relevant activities, not keeping them locked inside your own brain.

2) Sharing "love for nutrition" can be tricky if you can't cite some basis for having science-based understanding of nutrition. Adcomms would be leery of potential diet fad promotion, for example, if you can't explain yourself well.

So I can just state my volunteer experiences that are a result of my diverse upbringing as my relevant activities that show I understand different cultures?

Would anyone mind reading my diversity essay? Would not like to make a separate thread for it. I'd like to submit to a few schools this week so anyone that knows they would be able to respond promptly, please let me know! Thank you.

Would anyone mind reading my diversity essay? Would not like to make a separate thread for it. I'd like to submit to a few schools this week so anyone that knows they would be able to respond promptly, please let me know! Thank you.
Sure, send me a pm. I also have a very similar background/story to you.