Diversity Essay Idea Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mistblue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been working on my diversity secondary topic for the last couple of days and was wondering if this would be a good topic to talk about. I don't have anything too compelling since I'm Asian from a middle-class family, but let me know what you guys think! Since my parents are both from Taiwan, I learned how to speak Chinese first before English, and because of that, I had a really hard time making friends at schools (also was very shy). On top of that, my family moved four times during my childhood so I never really had a chance to form lasting friendships or work on my social skills. I'm planning on writing about how I end up using magic as a way to develop my social and communication skills by performing for others, and how it also allowed me to think of creative solutions to problems due to learning about how magic tricks work. From this, I guess I would contribute to a school's diversity by collaborating with others to think of creative ways to solve problems and also could perform for others as a way to de-stress?

Additionally, I thought I could also talk about how since I am first generation in America, I had a difficult time assimilating into american culture, since I mostly lived in cities with a high white population. It wasn't until I participated in a program where I had to teach English to elementary school students in rural parts of Taiwan with other Taiwanese volunteers my age that I became comfortable with my Taiwanese culture and started to embrace it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would be cautious of bringing attention to childhood lack of social skills. One of the biggest complaints against doctors right now is their lack of social and communication skills, so it's an immediate turn off for medical schools if they sense that. Another problem is that you can't use magic tricks to help you interact with patients...