May 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Is it ok to focus on leadership experiences for a diversity essay (specifically the TMDSAS Personal Characteristics Essay), or does it need to be more unique? I wanted to address leadership in my PS but didn’t have room. I want to discuss it in the diversity essay if possible, but maybe that’s a boring topic?

sb247

Doer of things
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
Is it ok to focus on leadership experiences for a diversity essay (specifically the TMDSAS Personal Characteristics Essay), or does it need to be more unique? I wanted to address leadership in my PS but didn’t have room. I want to discuss it in the diversity essay if possible, but maybe that’s a boring topic?
Did you do some unique leading?

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
T
May 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you do some unique leading?
I wouldn’t say it was out of this world unique, but there was an experience that was really special to me because I started a new initiative from scratch that I was really proud of. I was mainly going to talk about that experience within the theme of “I’m a leader” or whatever

sb247

Doer of things
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2012
Galt's Gulch
I wouldn’t say it was out of this world unique, but there was an experience that was really special to me because I started a new initiative from scratch that I was really proud of. I was mainly going to talk about that experience within the theme of “I’m a leader” or whatever
How is that unique? Do you propose your classmates aren’t?

What makes you different?

Reactions: Goro
OP
T
May 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
How is that unique? Do you propose your classmates aren’t?

What makes you different?
Hmm well I’ve also heard people successfully write diversity essays about playing a certain sport or traveling/studying abroad? So I wouldn’t say those things are particularly “unique” either, probably they’re on the same level of uniqueness as a significant leadership activity? Is it better to talk about those things than leadership?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Too common

Reactions: PharmaBr0

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hmm well I’ve also heard people successfully write diversity essays about playing a certain sport or traveling/studying abroad? So I wouldn’t say those things are particularly “unique” either, probably they’re on the same level of uniqueness as a significant leadership activity? Is it better to talk about those things than leadership?
"I am a leader" is too broad of a topic. Pick something unique that you were a leader in. Will your experiences, say, as a manager of a retail store contribute a business savvy and professional mind set? Will your experiences in the military prepare you to adapt and overcome and aid your classmates (this is mine, pretty lame but it works). Will your experience as a triathlete aid you and your classmates "in the long haul"?

If you are not URM or disadvantaged then you need to think outside the box a bit but it is totally feasible (but will probably be corny). Just think about specifics.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Agree with the above... not only is “I’m a leader” boring, but it also doesn’t answer the prompt. Everyone has unique life experiences. Think about what yours are. They may involve leadership, but leadership itself is not a unique experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: tiny turtle
OP
T
May 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
"I am a leader" is too broad of a topic. Pick something unique that you were a leader in. Will your experiences, say, as a manager of a retail store contribute a business savvy and professional mind set? Will your experiences in the military prepare you to adapt and overcome and aid your classmates (this is mine, pretty lame but it works). Will your experience as a triathlete aid you and your classmates "in the long haul"?

If you are not URM or disadvantaged then you need to think outside the box a bit but it is totally feasible (but will probably be corny). Just think about specifics.
Oh this is so helpful; thank you so much! I would super like your comment if I could!

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
We need a SDN tinder or dating app.
I mean, it wouldn’t be that hard to send dirty PMs to each other. It’ll just censor words like ****, ****, etc.

MemeLord

Spunky, Master of Sleeps
Feb 21, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I mean, it wouldn’t be that hard to send dirty PMs to each other. It’ll just censor words like ****, ****, etc.
See. Censored lol

Moko

2+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
If this experience was meaningful to you, it should be included somewhere. What skills did you learn from starting this new initiative that could be of benefit to others in medical school? As long as you don't upsell your experience and are specific in answering the prompt, you could make it work. Most people aren't unique, and those who try too hard come off as disingenuous. It's fine to be a slice of white bread, just make sure you've got some nutella nearby to spark some interest. Good luck!

OP
T
May 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
If this experience was meaningful to you, it should be included somewhere. What skills did you learn from starting this new initiative that could be of benefit to others in medical school? As long as you don't upsell your experience and are specific in answering the prompt, you could make it work. Most people aren't unique, and those who try too hard come off as disingenuous. It's fine to be a slice of white bread, just make sure you've got some nutella nearby to spark some interest. Good luck!
Thank you!! This is really helpful. If I can't spin the experience as a diversity essay, I think I might be able to use it for the TMDSAS unique experience essay.