Diversity essay topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrealname

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!! For my diversity essay I was thinking of discussing growing up Black and homeschooled. I was going to frame it as being a self-motivated learner since I essentially homeschooled myself, but when I looked up whether or not homeschooling is viewed favorably in the application process, I got an old thread on here that stated kind of the opposite. Is this a good topic? Should I not mention homeschooling at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good. Being Black and homeschooled puts you in a class by yourself, if you'll pardon the pun. I'll see myself out.
Thank you!!! I laughed really hard at this so thanks for that too :D

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think there's any inherent reason to avoid talking about home schooling. Make sure your response fulfills all the requests of the prompt , but especially now in the era of COVID, alternative styles of education are having a big moment and so much of the essay is supposed to be personal and unique to you.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 users
YES. Especially in the aftermath of Tara Westover's (absolutely fabulous) non-fiction book "Educated," students pursuing higher education after homeschooling are seen with more understanding and admiration than ever before. Happy writing, you've got yourself an excellent topic.

YES. Especially in the aftermath of Tara Westover's (absolutely fabulous) non-fiction book "Educated," students pursuing higher education after homeschooling are seen with more understanding and admiration than ever before. Happy writing, you've got yourself an excellent topic.
Thank you! I actually mentioned that book in one of my essays. Tough read for me, but her resilience is inspiring!