Diversity Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mooseforkicks

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would this kind of life experience be considered diversity?

Between college and AmeriCorps service, I’ve traveled through 27 states and lived (for a few weeks or more) in 12 of them. Throughout this, I’ve stayed and worked in urban, suburban, and rural environments. Through volunteer work and as a CNA, I’ve also come in contact with a wide range of people (from different regions or countries, ethnicities, SES, religious and political beliefs, etc.) Ex: the homeless, individuals with disabilities or mental illness, trans, immigrants, farmers, state prisoners, etc.

The range of settings I’ve stayed in, and meeting so many people different from me, has made me more sensitive to different beliefs and circumstances.

(Edited for clarity)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Would this kind of life experience be considered diversity?

I’ve traveled through 27 states and lived (for a few weeks or more) in 12 of them, and I’ve lived abroad for several months. Throughout this, I’ve stayed and worked in urban, suburban, and rural environments. Between service projects and work, I’ve also assisted many different people, from the lowest end of the socioeconomic spectrum to the high, with a wide variety of ethnicities and religious beliefs. Ex: the homeless, individuals with disabilities, trans, immigrants, farmers, state prisoners, etc.

This range of experiences has given me a better understanding of different kinds of people, and my own beliefs and behaviors have been changed because of this.
There might be a way of spinning this, but I'm worried that it might reek of privilege. If there was a commonality about how you helped people (like being a member of a church or charity) as opposed too you simply doing favors or random acts of kindness to random people, you might be able to spin this positively.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was mostly through AmeriCorps (I worked on 8 different service projects over a year and a half), and as a CNA in an urban hospital. Would that make it work?

Does anyone else have feedback? Would this fall under a diversity prompt, and/or does it sound privileged?

Wiping bottoms for a living (CNA work) does not sound privileged. It sounds like the opposite of that, in fact. I like the information you've shared as evidence that you are familiar with and comfortable with a variety of people who are different than yourself.

Reactions: 1 user